• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans Capture House Seat in Obama's Hometown

Porchev

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
-- Republicans scored a midterm election victory Saturday when Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou won a Democratic-held House seat in Hawaii in the district where President Obama grew up -- the latest triumph for the GOP as it looks to take back control of Congress.

Djou's victory was a blow to Obama and other Democrats who could not rally around a candidate and find away to win a congressional race that should have been a cakewalk. The seat had been held by a Democrat for nearly 20 years and is located in the district where Obama was born and spent most of his childhood.

"This is a momentous day. We have sent a message to the United States Congress. We have sent a message to the national Democrats. We have sent a message to the machine," Djou said. "The congressional seat is not owned by one political party. This congressional seat is owned by the people."

FOXNews.com - Republicans Capture House Seat in Obama's Hometown

Eh, a special election six months before an actual election isn't really a good predictor of trends. People can barely be convinced to vote in a mid-term, let alone this.

The election was being conducted entirely by mail. Eleven other candidates were on the ballot, but none of them had a serious chance of contending.

... yeah that probably didn't help things. I wonder what the vote total was.

edit: here they are!

(R) DJOU, Charles 67,274 39.5%
(D) HANABUSA, Colleen 52,445 30.8%
(D) CASE, Ed 47,012 27.6%

Yeah 58% voted Dem vs. 40% Rep. Split vote cost the Dems that one. November will in all likelihood turn it back around.

Last edited:
obama won it with 70%

what happened is---the party wanted case, the "better known"

but senator inouye produced, propped, propelled ms hanabusa

case had promised the one armed war hero (inouye) that he (case) would NOT seek the seat, according to the 85 year old solon (inouye)

case denied he'd said that, called the old man a liar, inouye responded with "i'm rubber, you're glue"

the party tried for months to get one of the camps to back down but the party proved impotent

being "better known" became a drawback, like specter, like mollohan, like lincoln, like grayson, like marshall...

(all these details, i believe, can be found by searchwording "hawaii" on politico, except for marshall/cunningham which comes from rcp)

inouye bucked the party, inouye refused to submit, inouye is still defiant

hanabusa won labor and asians (over case)

dems should take it back in november but party leadership is clearly lame

it is what it is

congrats to djou

-- Republicans scored a midterm election victory Saturday when Honolulu City Councilman Charles Djou won a Democratic-held House seat in Hawaii in the district where President Obama grew up -- the latest triumph for the GOP as it looks to take back control of Congress.

Djou's victory was a blow to Obama and other Democrats who could not rally around a candidate and find away to win a congressional race that should have been a cakewalk. The seat had been held by a Democrat for nearly 20 years and is located in the district where Obama was born and spent most of his childhood.

"This is a momentous day. We have sent a message to the United States Congress. We have sent a message to the national Democrats. We have sent a message to the machine," Djou said. "The congressional seat is not owned by one political party. This congressional seat is owned by the people."

Unfortunately, for the GOP, this will be but a temporary hold. The reason Djou won the seat is because he was running against 2 Democrats, who split their vote, allowing him to win with less than 40 percent of the vote.

This will work for now, but Republicans need to win this fall in competitive districts. Hawaii will fall in November, because only one Democrat will be running against Djou.

Last edited:
40% is actually pretty good for a Republican in that district.

40% is actually pretty good for a Republican in that district.

True - it is, but I have to agree--- Hawaii is way to liberal overall. This is temporary unless something huge happenes between now and voting day. I know of nothing that will turn this into a Scott Brown type situation.

True - it is, but I have to agree--- Hawaii is way to liberal overall. This is temporary unless something huge happenes between now and voting day. I know of nothing that will turn this into a Scott Brown type situation.

He'd have to get about one third of the votes of whichever Democrat doesn't run next time. Very unlikely, but possible.

Which means that it is OK for Republicans to celebrate this, but they need to get back to reality, and get to work for the fall. There are House races they can win, but it is going to take a lot of elbow grease to do it.

True Hawaii is pretty liberal, but Hawaii's governor is Republican.

Yeah 58% voted Dem vs. 40% Rep. Split vote cost the Dems that one. November will in all likelihood turn it back around.

Exactly. When there is only one D on the ballot in November, it will switch back.

Third candidates are going to be a big problem for Republicans in the fall if independent tea party candidates get on the ballot in many areas, as it looks likely. The same thing will happen.

Just like when Nader split the Democratic votes and helped get Bush elected.

Exactly. When there is only one D on the ballot in November, it will switch back.

Third candidates are going to be a big problem for Republicans in the fall if independent tea party candidates get on the ballot in many areas, as it looks likely. The same thing will happen.

Just like when Nader split the Democratic votes and helped get Bush elected.

"As it looks likely"? There's nothing to indicate that it'll happen anywhere.

"As it looks likely"? There's nothing to indicate that it'll happen anywhere.

Really? I recall seeing a few examples where a tea party person was considering running as a 3rd party candidate. But you're right; I'll back down on the "seems likely" comment as I don't know for sure.

Really? I recall seeing a few examples where a tea party person was considering running as a 3rd party candidate. But you're right; I'll back down on the "seems likely" comment as I don't know for sure.

Mostly they run in GOP primaries. There was a "Tea Party" candidate who filed to run for Senate in Nevada, but it turned out to be a Democrat trying to split the opposition.

in almost all races republicans will run candidates amenable to tea

and will surge, thereby

like physics, like a vacuum, so plum an opportunity must be satisfied

if case, however, continues his infight with inouye...

yes, one of the bluest districts in the nation was split leading to an anomolous gop win

but why did it split?

and, so far, at least, reconciliation is not near

maybe they should DEEM it

either way, hawaii one moved TWELVE POINTS my way since barry became our boy

it is what it is

congrats, mr djou

oh, yeah, do you guys know neil abercrombie, the chubby, bearded 20 year regular on cable

his quitting and going for gub is what opened this seat in the first place

neil has been running suprisingly weak in his PRIMARY contest vs honolulu mayor mufi hannemann

he's well below 50

http://www.realclearpolitics.com/epolls/2010/governor/2010_hawaii_governor_race.html

honolulu will be blue

but there's something going on in the pineapple's people's party, a plethora of dispute, it appears

AND WASHINGTON BETTER STAY THE HECK OUT

party on?

Last edited:

No it isn't, he wasn't running for the position.

actually, dccc backed third place finisher case

before dccc quit and backed out, that is

(just like specter)

it would be quite odd for house leadership not to be in accord with the admin on decisions so considerable

but with this group...

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.Republicans in Liberal states tend to be liberal. I am not saying that voters intentionally voted for a liberal republican but liberals tend to exploit the "oh at least he is not a democrat" vote to weasel in a liberal republican so that suckers are either voting for the same thing or lighter versions their democrat counterparts.

I really don't see the Republicans doing all that well in November. So the Tea Party is going to come out, but it consists mainly of conservatives and conservatives always come out. So there is a minority of Democrats/Moderates in the Tea Party. Both those categories can go Republican more or less often. They will almost certainly win some seats back, but I would be impressed if the Democrats lost a majority in either house.

Last edited:
in almost all races republicans will run candidates amenable to tea

and will surge, thereby

like physics, like a vacuum, so plum an opportunity must be satisfied

if case, however, continues his infight with inouye...

yes, one of the bluest districts in the nation was split leading to an anomolous gop win

but why did it split?

and, so far, at least, reconciliation is not near

maybe they should DEEM it

either way, hawaii one moved TWELVE POINTS my way since barry became our boy

it is what it is

congrats, mr djou

oh, yeah, do you guys know neil abercrombie, the chubby, bearded 20 year regular on cable

his quitting and going for gub is what opened this seat in the first place

neil has been running suprisingly weak in his PRIMARY contest vs honolulu mayor mufi hannemann

he's well below 50

RealClearPolitics - 2010 Hawaii Governor Race

honolulu will be blue

but there's something going on in the pineapple's people's party, a plethora of dispute, it appears

AND WASHINGTON BETTER STAY THE HECK OUT

party on?

Is this like your prediction where th Health Care bill wouldn't pass or the one in Murtha's district would lose? Your predictions aren't doing to well.

tell it to senator inouye

I wouldn't get too excited if I were you.Republicans in Liberal states tend to be liberal. I am not saying that voters intentionally voted for a liberal republican but liberals tend to exploit the "oh at least he is not a democrat" vote to weasel in a liberal republican so that suckers are either voting for the same thing or lighter versions their democrat counterparts.

This Republican (Djou) campaigned as a traditional fiscal conservative who decried the Democrats' new health care legislation, the 2009 Obama administration stimulus package, and the very idea of new taxes to pay for any of it.
Hawaii Sends Charles Djou to Congress, First Republican in 20 Years

Also, it is interesting to note that such a fiscal conservative won 40% of the vote in a district Obama won 70% of the vote in 2008. So there has been an increase of people in Hawaii voting Republican since 2008...maybe because they don't like what they have been seeing it our current President.

uh oh, more intra party pissing

More mischief in Illinois race - Jonathan Allen - POLITICO.com

jesse jackson jr threatens to endorse mark kirk, the most liberal republican i can recall encountering

i remember reading that mr kirk had actually equivocated on the question of partial birth abortion

anyway, it appears alexi is just too toxic

that bank of his, and all

this is obama's seat we're talking, currently held by doddering old roland burris' umbrella

which had to offer up cash to outbid whoever it was blago was also trying to sell it to

at least that's what THE WIRETAP suggested

Judge OKs Release Of FBI Wiretap Recordings Between Roland Burris And Rod Blagojevich's Brother Rob - wcbstv.com

blumenthal and case are not alone

illinois is a mess

the lt gub candidate who's tied to the gub nominee on the ballot had to drop out just a couple days after winning his primary because he once held a knife to the throat of his prostitute girlfriend cuz he was on steroids

his name is cohen

Scott Lee Cohen: Divorce Papers Allege Forcible Sex, Steroid Use, Adultery, Violence (VIDEO)

I think this proves if Republicans can win this seat they can win anywhere.........

Be very afraid my left wing friends, be very afraid..........:rofl

Back
Top Bottom