• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Republicans block independent investigation into Katrina failures

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
http://www.cnn.com/2005/POLITICS/09/14/katrina.washington.ap/index.html

WASHINGTON (AP) -- Senate Republicans on Wednesday scuttled an attempt by Sen. Hillary Clinton to establish an independent, bipartisan panel patterned after the 9/11 Commission to investigate what went wrong with federal, state and local governments' response to Hurricane Katrina.

The New York Democrat's bid to establish the panel -- which would have also made recommendations on how to improve the government's disaster response apparatus -- failed to win the two-thirds majority needed to overcome procedural hurdles.

"Just as with 9/11, we did not get to the point where we believed we understood what happened until an independent investigation was conducted," Clinton said.
What are they afraid of?
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
Yeah hey, what's the deal? Any Republicans here who think that an independent investigation would be a bad thing?
 

cnredd

Major General Big Lug
DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 5, 2005
Messages
8,682
Reaction score
262
Location
Philadelphia,PA
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Kelzie said:
Yeah hey, what's the deal? Any Republicans here who think that an independent investigation would be a bad thing?
Misleading question.....

Bad idea?...Nope....

Bad idea after only 3 weeks and the job won't be completed for at least the next three months?...You betchya
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
cnredd said:
Misleading question.....

Bad idea?...Nope....

Bad idea after only 3 weeks and the job won't be completed for at least the next three months?...You betchya
Somehow I don't think that's why the Republicans had a problem with it.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
Somehow I don't think that's why the Republicans had a problem with it.
I'm and independent and I think the congress and the executive should have a joint investigation with the people heading up being elected officials or reporting directly to elected officials so they can be held accountable. A bogus "blue-ribbon" committe of people unanswerable to the voters, like the 9/11 commission, is the last thing we need. We elect the government to govern. We elect a president to be the executive officer. THEY are the ones charged with seeing what happened at what level and what if anything could have been done differently and then have those changes put in place.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
Kelzie said:
Somehow I don't think that's why the Republicans had a problem with it.
I'm sure they want to wait till it's out of sight and out of mind so they can have some faux investigation. Natural disasters and terrorists wont be giving us a recess to fix DHS/FEMA before they strike so it's best to start this investigation now so we can fix the problems ASAP.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
scottyz said:
I'm sure they want to wait till it's out of sight and out of mind so they can have some faux investigation.
Why are you sure? There's absolutely no evidence to support your assertion.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
Stinger said:
Why are you sure? There's absolutely no evidence to support your assertion.
Except for the fact they already blocked an attempt at investigating the Katrina failures while it's still fresh in everyones minds.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
scottyz said:
Except for the fact they already blocked an attempt at investigating the Katrina failures while it's still fresh in everyones minds.
They blocked attempts by Hillary to take charge and authorize an INDEPENDENT investigation. That's the last thing we need. Bush announced what was to be done last night and he is on the right track. These knee-jerk calls for blue-ribbon panels always prove useless. The people charged with looking at how the rescue and recovery went and what needs to be changed need to be answerable to the voters and not a bunch of people trying to get face time on the evening news as the 9/11 panel turned into.
 

tfarino

New member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Republicans aren't afraid of anything. I do understand that democrats love to pounce on anything that will make the Rep's look bad. Maybe we are just focused on helping the people. The difference here is we pretty much knew what happened, and what went wrong. Do we have to spend 50 million so its put on paper? While were at it I want a commission on the following:
1. WACO Compound fire
2. USS Cole
3. WTC first bomb
4. Clinton Petagon and Able Danger
5. Bombing of the army/USAF barrack towers in Kuwait

COME ON DEMOCRATS IF IT GOES WRONG COMMISSION IT.
 

SixStringHero

DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 7, 2005
Messages
1,587
Reaction score
133
Location
Southwest
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
I guess Hillary has no problems getting good ol' Bill in trouble since he did after all cut funding for the levee during his terms.
 

tfarino

New member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Its all :spin: by the Clinton's. It's amazing how Democrats view The Clinton's as Gods, but don't realize that most of their problems were created by the Clintons!
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
tfarino said:
Republicans aren't afraid of anything. I do understand that democrats love to pounce on anything that will make the Rep's look bad.
Eh... it will make the Democratic Mayor and Governor of LA look pretty bad. :2wave:
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
tfarino said:
Its all :spin: by the Clinton's. It's amazing how Democrats view The Clinton's as Gods, but don't realize that most of their problems were created by the Clintons!
How so? Clinton continued the "no net loss" wetlands program Bush sr. started. The wetlands provide a buffer from Hurricanes for N.O. and Bush Jr. of course dumped the idea and gave the land to developers...
 

wxcrazytwo

Banned
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
I have to agree that the one of the reasons why Republicans want to block such an investigation is because they know they screwed up. The Republicans have always tried to block investigations regarding stuff like this.
 

Kelzie

The Almighty
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
13,534
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Denver, CO
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
wxcrazytwo said:
I have to agree that the one of the reasons why Republicans want to block such an investigation is because they know they screwed up. The Republicans have always tried to block investigations regarding stuff like this.
The Dems screwed up too. They're just not scared of an investigation.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
Kelzie said:
The Dems screwed up too. They're just not scared of an investigation.
Where do you get the idea Republicans are, ooohhhhhhh scaarrrrred, of an investigation. What utter nonsense. This is a prime example of why political discourse is so difficult these days. These petty claims that they are, ooooohhhhhh sccccarrrrrreeeed, do nothing to solve whatever problems there were. The question is who should do it. Do we want a bunch of publicity hounds who answer to no one like the 9/11 commission? Or do we want those we elected to do so do it and be answerable to us?
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
scottyz said:
Eh... it will make the Democratic Mayor and Governor of LA look pretty bad. :2wave:
If the leftest and Democrats and some around here who are more interested in making sure they can pin all the blame on Bush have their way then the Democratic Mayor and Governor of LA will be sitting ON the panel!

We elect representitives to do this, let those who are answerable to us investigate and report their findings.
 
Last edited:

wxcrazytwo

Banned
Joined
Sep 13, 2005
Messages
222
Reaction score
1
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Liberal
Kelzie said:
The Dems screwed up too. They're just not scared of an investigation.
Kelzie, Kelzie, Kelzie, what am I going to do with you..
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
Stinger said:
If the leftest and Democrats and some around here who are more interested in making sure they can pin all the blame on Bush have their way then the Democratic Mayor and Governor of LA will be sitting ON the panel!
What's hard to understand about "independent, bipartisan panel". I'm sure the mayor and gov. would have been there answering questions, but I highly doubt they would be on the panel.
 

SouthernDemocrat

Pragmatist
DP Veteran
Joined
Jun 23, 2005
Messages
23,338
Reaction score
14,401
Location
KC
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Moderate
tfarino said:
Republicans aren't afraid of anything. I do understand that democrats love to pounce on anything that will make the Rep's look bad. Maybe we are just focused on helping the people. The difference here is we pretty much knew what happened, and what went wrong. Do we have to spend 50 million so its put on paper? While were at it I want a commission on the following:
1. WACO Compound fire
2. USS Cole
3. WTC first bomb
4. Clinton Petagon and Able Danger
5. Bombing of the army/USAF barrack towers in Kuwait

COME ON DEMOCRATS IF IT GOES WRONG COMMISSION IT.
Oh for crying out loud, you had a blank check to smear the Clintons with all through the ninties. If you couldnt do it with what, 70 million or so, then thats your problem.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
scottyz said:
What's hard to understand about "independent, bipartisan panel". I'm sure the mayor and gov. would have been there answering questions, but I highly doubt they would be on the panel.
What's hard to understand about having the people charged with running our government run our government? And let's not forget that the "independent, bipartisan panel" 9/11 including someone who had direct involvement on the Dem side, Jamie Gorelick. Might as well have Blanco on the Katrina commission too.

We elect people to head and run our government and they are responsible to us, let them do thier job. These so-called blue-ribbon commission end up a bunch of people more concerned in thier own place in history.
 

Stinger

DP Veteran
Joined
May 3, 2005
Messages
15,097
Reaction score
537
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Very Conservative
SouthernDemocrat said:
Oh for crying out loud, you had a blank check to smear the Clintons with all through the ninties. If you couldnt do it with what, 70 million or so, then thats your problem.
So it comes to light, this is all about payback for Clinton.
 

tfarino

New member
Joined
Sep 14, 2005
Messages
9
Reaction score
0
Location
Las Vegas, NV
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Slightly Conservative
Like I said earlier, Republican's aren't afraid of an investagation. One isn't necessary, and it would cost so much money that could be better spent on the diasaster. Democrats want an investagtion cause it keeps them in the spotlight, in control, and allows the left wing news continue to bash Rep's.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
tfarino said:
Democrats want an investagtion cause it keeps them in the spotlight, in control, and allows the left wing news continue to bash Rep's.
Hillary wanted a independent bipartisan investigation. Who is to say it wont reveal that the Democrats are at fault? Either way the goal was to identify the problems and fix them without bringing party politics into it. I can't see anything wrong with that.
 
Top Bottom