• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republicans Block $13.6 Billion In Military Aid For Ukraine Last Week....But Now Criticize Biden For Not Doing Enough To Help Ukraine

RIP U.S. Democracy

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
You can't make this stuff up, folks. Senator Rick Scott and the rest of the Republican Traitor Party in action. --

More than two dozen Senate Republicans are demanding that President Biden do more to aid war-torn Ukraine and arm its forces against Russia’s brutal assault, after voting last week against $13.6 billion in military and humanitarian assistance for Ukraine.

Consider Sen. Rick Scott (R-Fla.),
who heard Ukrainian President Volodymyr Zelensky’s emotional plea in a virtual address to Congress on Wednesday for more weapons and a no-fly zone over Ukraine.
“President Biden needs to make a decision TODAY: either give Ukraine access to the planes and antiaircraft defense systems it needs to defend itself, or enforce a no-fly zone to close Ukrainian skies to Russian attacks,” Scott said in a statement. “If President Biden does not do this NOW, President Biden will show himself to be absolutely heartless and ignorant of the deaths of innocent Ukrainian children and families.”

Last week, Scott was one of 31 Republicans to vote against a sweeping, $1.5 trillion spending bill to fund government agencies and departments through the remainder of the fiscal year and that would also include $13.6 billion in assistance for Ukraine. Biden signed the bill into law Tuesday, casting the aid as the United States “moving urgently to further augment the support to the brave people of Ukraine as they defend their country.”

I cringe every time I hear Rick Scott's name. >>>

"Maybe you’ve heard about what was the largest Medicare fraud in history, committed when Rick Scott was a CEO," the narrator says. "Or that Scott’s company paid record fraud fines of $1.7 billion dollars. And when Scott was deposed in lawsuits about his company, he took the Fifth 75 times. Meaning, 75 times, Scott refused to answer questions because – if he had – he might admit to committing a crime."

It's totally amazing that the stupid, idiotic asses in Florida voted for this con-man criminal for Governor. Reminds me of another Con-man. Grrrrrr..
(Then they voted for this piece-of-shit for Senator).

You can't make this stuff up, folks. Senator Rick Scott and the rest of the Republican Traitor Party in action. --

The Democrats used Ukrainian crisis as political fodder and you know it.

They threw the aid money for the Ukraine into a much larger bill that was already opposed by those Senate Republicans that you are trashing.

If the Democrats were the least bit honest, they would have created a separate bill which those 21 Senators would have been in full support of.

But here you are regurgitating more spoon fed biased nonsense like a good little liberal/proggie. (y)

The Democrats used Ukrainian crisis as political fodder and you know it.

They threw the aid money for the Ukraine into a much larger bill that was already opposed by those Senate Republicans that you are trashing.

If the Democrats were the least bit honest, they would have created a separate bill which those 21 Senators would have been in full support of.

But here you are regurgitating more spoon fed biased nonsense like a good little liberal/proggie. (y)
YOU don't know that = misinformation

YOU don't know that = misinformation

Name one that doesn't support aid for the Ukraine.

I also know that the Democrats intentionally put the Ukraine aid money into the 1.5 Trillion dollar bill because they knew that certain Republicans were voting against it anyways.

Yeah.......I do know that and you do also.

Given that we know (literally, Congress put it to a vote in 2019!) that the GOP views military aid to Ukraine as a political bargaining chip that they can hold up for any politically expedient reason up to and including extortion of a foreign leader, putting it in a vehicle the GOP could obstruct would've been insane. Absolutely insane.

Given that we know (literally, Congress put it to a vote in 2019!) that the GOP views military aid to Ukraine as a political bargaining chip that they can hold up for any politically expedient reason up to and including extortion of a foreign leader, putting it in a vehicle the GOP could obstruct would've been insane. Absolutely insane.

Big ****ing deal.

You know damn well the Ukraine aid was put into the bill that was already being refuted just so Democrat cultists could go wild.

Name one that doesn't support aid for the Ukraine.
Easy....the 31 Republican traitors that voted against the bill just last week.

I also know that the Democrats intentionally put the Ukraine aid money into the 1.5 Trillion dollar bill because they knew that certain Republicans were voting against it anyways.

Yeah.......I do know that and you do also.
I don't know that at all. Just because you want that to be true doesn't make it so. If what you're saying is true, then a lot more than 31 Republicans would have voted against the bill.

I do know that you are desperate and grasping at straws, as always.

Last edited:
They voted against the ENTIRE bloated 1.5 trillion omnibus spending bill which was submitted 2 days before the vote was held. 13bn for the Ukraine was the tiniest part of that bill.

View attachment 67380745

You can't criticize Biden for not doing enough to help Ukraine, when you voted against $13.6 billion in military aid for Ukraine just last week.

That's called "hypocrisy". Look it up, Republicans practice it a lot.

More than two dozen Senate Republicans demand Biden do more for Ukraine after voting against $13.6 billion for Ukraine​

Thirty-one Senate Republicans voted last week against the $1.5 trillion spending bill to fund the government, increase U.S. defense spending and provide humanitarian and military assistance to Ukraine. In recent days, many of them have clamored for more weapons and aid.​

Last week, Scott was one of 31 Republicans to vote against a sweeping, $1.5 trillion spending bill to fund government agencies and departments through the remainder of the fiscal year, a bill that also included $13.6 billion in assistance for Ukraine. Biden signed the bill into law Tuesday, saying the United States was “moving urgently to further augment the support to the brave people of Ukraine as they defend their country.”

After casting a “no” vote, Scott assailed the overall spending bill as wasteful, arguing that it was filled with lawmakers’ pet projects. “It makes my blood boil,” Scott said last week.

Democrats quickly condemned what they saw as glaring hypocrisy among the Republicans who voted against the aid but were quick to criticize Biden as a commander in chief leading from behind in addressing Ukraine’s needs.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2022/03/17/republicans-ukraine-aid-vote/

“It’s very simple: If you don’t vote for the thing, you’re not for the thing,” Schatz said. “That is literally our job, to decide whether we are for or against things as a binary question.”
“So you don’t get to say: ‘

Even though I voted against Ukraine aid, that I’m actually for it, and here’s my explanation,’” Schatz added, arguing that Republicans were trying to have it both ways by maintaining their fidelity to Trump — who has praised Russian President Vladimir Putin — and become “Zelensky fans” at the same time.

“They voted to exonerate Trump for this specific reason, which was to withhold aid from Zelensky, and here they are again, opposing aid to Zelensky,” Schatz said. “So now they’re doing it twice. They’re still acting as if they’re defenders of Western-style democracy.”

The day before voting against the bill, Sen. Tom Cotton (R-Ark.), another possible presidential candidate, posted on Twitter about the need to come to Ukraine’s aid. “Helping Ukraine defend itself against a ruthless dictator is in our best interest,” he tweeted.

Most spending bills are a mish mash of spending preferences so what is so different here...........?

What you fail to mention is that it was stuffed inside a $1.5 trillion spending bill.

Actually, I did mention it. You just can't read.

And so what? Responsible politicians know how to compromise. Not every bill contains spending that all politicians 100% agree with.

Big ****ing deal.

You know damn well the Ukraine aid was put into the bill that was already being refuted just so Democrat cultists could go wild.

It was put into the spending bill because (1) it's spending, and (2) the Dems wanted it to pass. Hanging a target out there for the Putinistas in the GOP to obstruct makes zero sense if you actually want to get the aid to Ukraine.

It was put into the spending bill because (1) it's spending, and (2) the Dems wanted it to pass. Hanging a target out there for the Putinistas in the GOP to obstruct makes zero sense if you actually want to get the aid to Ukraine.

The biggest lie you have told today.

I think Republicans do what they always do. They took every position in the beginning, some opposed to Russia, some in support of Russia. They claimed Biden was doing too little, and they claimed he was doing too much And they then saw what stuck. Obviously most rational people oppose Russia, and want to aid them..so they now focus on claiming Biden hasn't helped *enough*, and apparently having nothing much else to hate on...they turned to their favorite whipping boy Hunter Biden, and Joe Biden (sleepy, handlers, inflation, cry)

All this is of course on the backdrop of an era of Trump where he supported Putin over the U.S., called Putin's operations in Ukraine "savvy" and "genius", hoped Putin would be his new best friend...etc.

Republicans are so politically corrupt at this point, we have no idea what we'll get, what they will support, how low they will go, and what lines they will happily cross for power's sake.

Back
Top Bottom