• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every persons position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Republicans blaming Bush for losing elections

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Doug Forrester Blames Bush for N.J. Gov. Loss (Article from Newsmax.com)
Republican Douglas Forrester, who lost by a wide margin to Sen. Jon Corzine in the race for governor in New Jersey, says President Bush’s unpopularity is largely to blame for his defeat.

But conservative icon Richard Viguerie also blames Bush for Republicans’ troubles in the recent election, saying GOP candidates "paid the price for President Bush’s move to the left exhibited by his expansion of government programs, power and spending at the expense of personal, religious and economic freedom.

"He has not been in sync with conservatives.”
Et tu Brute? Are these just sole republicans or is this a growing din of dissatisfaction within the party towards the administration?
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
shuamort said:
Doug Forrester Blames Bush for N.J. Gov. Loss (Article from Newsmax.com)


Et tu Brute? Are these just sole republicans or is this a growing din of dissatisfaction within the party towards the administration?
I think that since other republicans in the House of Representatives are not doing their job to oppose Bush on his efforts to allow torture by the CIA, then it is only logical to punish other republicans until they get the message that they need to start supporting legislation that is morally sound.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
shuamort said:
Doug Forrester Blames Bush for N.J. Gov. Loss (Article from Newsmax.com)


Et tu Brute? Are these just sole republicans or is this a growing din of dissatisfaction within the party towards the administration?
It shows that the party is waking up, and realizing it has been duped. You are now witnessing the beginning of the end for the Bushnevik parasites who hijacked the party, and also the beginning of a return to the Conservative roots that characterized the GOP in the days before the great schism which occurred during the Reagan administration. The Republican party is about to become much better, and not too soon. If the Neocons are gone by 2008, I will probably be coming home. :)

Definition: Schism - A great song by Tool.

"I know the pieces fit."
 

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
shuamort said:
Doug Forrester Blames Bush for N.J. Gov. Loss (Article from Newsmax.com)


Et tu Brute? Are these just sole republicans or is this a growing din of dissatisfaction within the party towards the administration?
Indeed, he has taken the one thing we have been well known for, and that is keeping spending down, and smaller government, and made people question the Republicans in this dedication. As for blaming Bush for his loss, I really do question the validity of this assumption, it sounds more like sour grapes to me. I think the name recognition is what sealed it for Corzine, not to mention spending 70 million dollars on the campaign, that never hurts.:doh
 
Last edited:

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
In a speech in Philadelphia, Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., criticized how the war has been presented to Americans — both by the media and the White House. Afterward, Santorum said the war has been “less than optimal” and “maybe some blame could be laid” at the White House. “Certainly, mistakes were made,” Santorum said.
 
Joined
Nov 9, 2005
Messages
2,669
Reaction score
0
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
shuamort said:
In a speech in Philadelphia, Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., criticized how the war has been presented to Americans — both by the media and the White House. Afterward, Santorum said the war has been “less than optimal” and “maybe some blame could be laid” at the White House. “Certainly, mistakes were made,” Santorum said.
Yes, I remember that quote. Post the rest of it. ;)
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
KCConservative said:
Yes, I remember that quote. Post the rest of it. ;)
That's all that the Marine Corps Times article had.
 

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
shuamort said:
In a speech in Philadelphia, Sen. Rick Santorum, R-Pa., criticized how the war has been presented to Americans — both by the media and the White House. Afterward, Santorum said the war has been “less than optimal” and “maybe some blame could be laid” at the White House. “Certainly, mistakes were made,” Santorum said.

Oh, you are going to see a whole lot of this, especially the closer we get to 06, many are refusing to go down with the ship. The war has been costly, in lives, and dollars, but these folks made the decision to go, I don't see how you rationalize jumping ship now?:confused:

Rick should have watched his religious ramblings a little more closely, then maybe he would not be in such hot water in his state.:roll:
 

ShullsM

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
TimmyBoy said:
I think that since other republicans in the House of Representatives are not doing their job to oppose Bush on his efforts to allow torture by the CIA, then it is only logical to punish other republicans until they get the message that they need to start supporting legislation that is morally sound.
As long as Bush's approval rating stays as low as it is or drops even further, the Repubublican party will continue to suffer. I don't know that Forrester's loss can be completely blamed on Bush, but I have no doubt the loss can be partially blamed on the current administration.

It's interesting how people like Santorum are distancing themselves from the situation. I don't know that that strategy will help him in his Senate race coming up.
 

shuamort

Pundit-licious
DP Veteran
Joined
Feb 4, 2005
Messages
7,297
Reaction score
1,000
Location
Saint Paul, MN
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Independent
Deegan said:
Oh, you are going to see a whole lot of this, especially the closer we get to 06, many are refusing to go down with the ship. The war has been costly, in lives, and dollars, but these folks made the decision to go, I don't see how you rationalize jumping ship now?:confused:

Rick should have watched his religious ramblings a little more closely, then maybe he would not be in such hot water in his state.:roll:
Well, he's trying different things now, like this:
Santorum: Don't put intelligent design in classroom
U.S. Sen. Rick Santorum said Saturday that he doesn't believe that intelligent design belongs in the science classroom.

Santorum's comments to The Times are a shift from his position of several years ago, when he wrote in a Washington Times editorial that intelligent design is a "legitimate scientific theory that should be taught in the classroom."
 

aps

Passionate
DP Veteran
Joined
Sep 25, 2005
Messages
15,675
Reaction score
2,979
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Liberal
shuamort said:
Well, he's trying different things now, like this:
Very interesting, shuamort. I see he is changing his stance because Casey is ahead in the polls.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Deegan said:
Oh, you are going to see a whole lot of this, especially the closer we get to 06, many are refusing to go down with the ship. The war has been costly, in lives, and dollars, but these folks made the decision to go, I don't see how you rationalize jumping ship now?:confused:

Rick should have watched his religious ramblings a little more closely, then maybe he would not be in such hot water in his state.:roll:
Actually, I am kind of split on whether we should stay in Iraq. The best argument from either side is going to convince me on this, so take your best shot and convince me. At any rate, those who got us over there, and I dont mean just Bush, but the Democrats too, need to be held accountable.

Note: Only 2 weeks to go to fulfill the terms of my bet with you. The butthead sig is not so bad, but that damn White Sox avatar is killing me. LOL.
 

Iriemon

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 10, 2005
Messages
19,405
Reaction score
2,187
Location
Miami
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
danarhea said:
It shows that the party is waking up, and realizing it has been duped. You are now witnessing the beginning of the end for the Bushnevik parasites who hijacked the party, and also the beginning of a return to the Conservative roots that characterized the GOP in the days before the great schism which occurred during the Reagan administration. The Republican party is about to become much better, and not too soon. If the Neocons are gone by 2008, I will probably be coming home. :)

Definition: Schism - A great song by Tool.

"I know the pieces fit."
Not sure how accurate this is, but one-time uber-reactionary Pat Buchanan had some interesting comments along this same line:

...

When Ronald Reagan went home to California, his heirs said, “Goodbye to all that,” and embraced Big Government conservatism, then neoconservatism. If they do not find their way home soon, to the principles of Taft, Goldwater and Reagan, they will perish in the wilderness into which they have led us all.


http://www.humaneventsonline.com/article.php?id=10210
 

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
danarhea said:
Actually, I am kind of split on whether we should stay in Iraq. The best argument from either side is going to convince me on this, so take your best shot and convince me. At any rate, those who got us over there, and I dont mean just Bush, but the Democrats too, need to be held accountable.

Note: Only 2 weeks to go to fulfill the terms of my bet with you. The butthead sig is not so bad, but that damn White Sox avatar is killing me. LOL.

Only two weeks left, aww man, I was really getting used to it.:(

No, trust me, the Sox thing is killing me as well, I have never seen so many Sox fans in my life around here. You never saw Sox hats and shirts downtown here, now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, it's disgusting.;)

As for the troops, I really do think they will be coming home soon, if these Iraqi's are not trained by now, or at least enough trained to train others, I don't know if they will ever be ready. I have heard this talk from those in-charge in Iraq, and that is becoming a campaign issue there for Iraqi's running for seats.
 

TimmyBoy

Banned
Joined
Sep 23, 2005
Messages
1,466
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
ShullsM said:
As long as Bush's approval rating stays as low as it is or drops even further, the Repubublican party will continue to suffer. I don't know that Forrester's loss can be completely blamed on Bush, but I have no doubt the loss can be partially blamed on the current administration.

It's interesting how people like Santorum are distancing themselves from the situation. I don't know that that strategy will help him in his Senate race coming up.
I have usually been a loyal Republican party voter. And generally speaking both the democrats and republicans are crooks. I generally view most (not all) as crooks trying to get over on the American people any which way they can and line their own pockets with money and seeking any way they can to get more power at the expense of everybody else. But generally I voted Republican because they were anti-abortion (though I disagree with their pro-death penalty stance) and usually were able to make decisive decisions. However, after seeing that Cheny would not exempt a ban on torture for the CIA, then I have decided that I will start voting against republican candidates in most elections. The reason I plan to do this is to punish all republicans so that perhaps they will start pressuring Bush to move in the right direction rather than supporting or allowing him to continue in the wrong direction. Republicans in both houses can easily agree to pass a ban on torture and over-ride any veto threat from Bush and because they are failing to do so, deserve punishment for their failures to pass the ban. I was opposed to the Iraq War long before the invasion started, but voted for Bush anyway in the second election because I felt the alternative was worse. At least with Bush, he stands by the decisions he makes and I feel that Kerry is indecisive. But allowing a CIA exemption so that they may torture is unacceptable so now I will vote in a manner that punishes republicans to rachet up pressure on them and Bush.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Deegan said:
Only two weeks left, aww man, I was really getting used to it.:(

No, trust me, the Sox thing is killing me as well, I have never seen so many Sox fans in my life around here. You never saw Sox hats and shirts downtown here, now everyone is jumping on the bandwagon, it's disgusting.;)

As for the troops, I really do think they will be coming home soon, if these Iraqi's are not trained by now, or at least enough trained to train others, I don't know if they will ever be ready. I have heard this talk from those in-charge in Iraq, and that is becoming a campaign issue there for Iraqi's running for seats.
Hmmmm, maybe we can change the terms of the bet then. I wouldnt mind having a Cubs avatar for the last 2 weeks, not that I like the Cubs, but that I dislike the White Sox. LOL. It wouldnt be that bad. After all, I can reflect that the Astros did beat the Cubs out for that wild card spot. Hehe.
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
TimmyBoy said:
I have usually been a loyal Republican party voter. And generally speaking both the democrats and republicans are crooks. I generally view most (not all) as crooks trying to get over on the American people any which way they can and line their own pockets with money and seeking any way they can to get more power at the expense of everybody else. But generally I voted Republican because they were anti-abortion (though I disagree with their pro-death penalty stance) and usually were able to make decisive decisions. However, after seeing that Cheny would not exempt a ban on torture for the CIA, then I have decided that I will start voting against republican candidates in most elections. The reason I plan to do this is to punish all republicans so that perhaps they will start pressuring Bush to move in the right direction rather than supporting or allowing him to continue in the wrong direction. Republicans in both houses can easily agree to pass a ban on torture and over-ride any veto threat from Bush and because they are failing to do so, deserve punishment for their failures to pass the ban. I was opposed to the Iraq War long before the invasion started, but voted for Bush anyway in the second election because I felt the alternative was worse. At least with Bush, he stands by the decisions he makes and I feel that Kerry is indecisive. But allowing a CIA exemption so that they may torture is unacceptable so now I will vote in a manner that punishes republicans to rachet up pressure on them and Bush.
Good to see you voting with your mind, just as long as it is not a vote for a Democrat. LOL.

Seriously, there are some good choices in the Libertarian Party. Check them out.
 

Deegan

Banned
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 1, 2005
Messages
5,528
Reaction score
2
Location
Chicago
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
danarhea said:
Hmmmm, maybe we can change the terms of the bet then. I wouldnt mind having a Cubs avatar for the last 2 weeks, not that I like the Cubs, but that I dislike the White Sox. LOL. It wouldnt be that bad. After all, I can reflect that the Astros did beat the Cubs out for that wild card spot. Hehe.
No, the Sox avatar is fine, I don't want you jinxing my Cubbies!:lol:
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
ShullsM said:
As long as Bush's approval rating stays as low as it is or drops even further, the Repubublican party will continue to suffer. I don't know that Forrester's loss can be completely blamed on Bush, but I have no doubt the loss can be partially blamed on the current administration.

It's interesting how people like Santorum are distancing themselves from the situation. I don't know that that strategy will help him in his Senate race coming up.
If Bush's poll numbers were high, Santorum wouldn't be distancing himself from anything. He's fighting for his own neck, as Bob Casey Jr. is whipping his ass in prelim polls. For the first time, Santorum is running scared. This is desperation. He doesn't disbelieve in the Bush administration, but he knows having Bush at his side will only speed up the inevitable... his being unemployed at the beginning of '07.
 

scottyz

DP Veteran
Joined
Jul 31, 2005
Messages
1,575
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Moderate
After leading Kaine for most of the past year, Republican Jerry Kilgore has seen his one-time ten-point lead evaporate into what polls now show as a slight deficit. The latest poll numbers show Kaine with a three-to-five-point advantage. If Kilgore has slipped in the race as the polls indicate, is it because of President Bush’s nagging unpopularity, or mistakes made by the Kilgore campaign? Kilgore staffers are already starting to blame the president in advance of a possible defeat. “If Kilgore loses, his staff will blame Bush. They’re openly saying Bush has been a seven-point negative for their campaign,” a source close to the campaign said last night. He added, “And if he wins, Bush gets the credit.”
http://www.nationalreview.com/pfeiffer/pfeiffer200511080945.asp
 

danarhea

Slayer of the DP Newsbot
DP Veteran
Joined
Aug 27, 2005
Messages
43,603
Reaction score
26,254
Location
Houston, TX
Gender
Male
Political Leaning
Conservative
Deegan said:
No, the Sox avatar is fine, I don't want you jinxing my Cubbies!:lol:
They dont need me to jinx them. They have been doing a good job of that on their own. :lol:
 

ShullsM

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
debate_junkie said:
If Bush's poll numbers were high, Santorum wouldn't be distancing himself from anything. He's fighting for his own neck, as Bob Casey Jr. is whipping his ass in prelim polls. For the first time, Santorum is running scared. This is desperation. He doesn't disbelieve in the Bush administration, but he knows having Bush at his side will only speed up the inevitable... his being unemployed at the beginning of '07.
For Santorum, this is the best thing he can probably do, ineffective maybe. But the obvious question is what does it say about his previous backing of a president such as Bush? What does this tell his base in PA? I may be wrong, but at this point I can't see Bush's approval rising to where Santorum would cross back over and I certainly don't see the the ratio of Casey's poll numbers changing.
 

debate_junkie

Worst Nightmare
Joined
Jul 4, 2005
Messages
919
Reaction score
19
Location
Pennsylvania
Gender
Female
Political Leaning
Moderate
ShullsM said:
For Santorum, this is the best thing he can probably do, ineffective maybe. But the obvious question is what does it say about his previous backing of a president such as Bush? What does this tell his base in PA? I may be wrong, but at this point I can't see Bush's approval rising to where Santorum would cross back over and I certainly don't see the the ratio of Casey's poll numbers changing.
It tells those of us in his base, what we've already known, he's an opportunist. But it isn't only Bush he is distancing himself from. He's distanced himself from his base up here, the citizenry who voted for him, and that is also coming to roost. Santorum saw the point the voters made with Justice Nigro, and now he sees that he being a Republican, even in the reddest of counties, isn't going to be enough to keep his seat, where he's usually cruised to lofty vote totals. The sleeping giant is awake, to quote a local talk radio show host, and for that I am as excited as ever about the next election.
 

ShullsM

Member
Joined
Oct 17, 2005
Messages
89
Reaction score
0
Gender
Undisclosed
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
debate_junkie said:
It tells those of us in his base, what we've already known, he's an opportunist. But it isn't only Bush he is distancing himself from. He's distanced himself from his base up here, the citizenry who voted for him, and that is also coming to roost. Santorum saw the point the voters made with Justice Nigro, and now he sees that he being a Republican, even in the reddest of counties, isn't going to be enough to keep his seat, where he's usually cruised to lofty vote totals. The sleeping giant is awake, to quote a local talk radio show host, and for that I am as excited as ever about the next election.
Which is the danger of being an opportunist, I suppose. You break away from your base as well. Did he not understand that this might happen and that he would essentially be screwed?

I wonder where else this tactic of distancing will backfire and cost the Reps other seats?
 
Top Bottom