• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

"Republican Wave" Breaks on Shore of Senate, Fails to Awe in House

crybaby2.jpg

Whovian, thanks for using my favorite quote. However, I think you've got it backward. It's the Tea Party and the Extremists Right Wingers/Conservatives who are creating a scenario of fear and blame. And above all, they are creating an atmosphere charged with such rancor, mistrust, and even hatred that there is no chance of anything but gridlock. Additionally, it was the Republicans, not the Democrats, who refused to put forth specifics. A case in point -- the deficit. Everyone agrees that the deficit needs to be reduced. But how is that going to be accomplished. Where specifically are cuts going to be made? Even conservative economists acknowledge that cutting waste and fraud will be minor in the effort, that major decisions are going to have to be made in Social Security and Medicare (which we have know since the Greenspan Commission), that military spending & homeland security is taking up an increasingly large percentage of the budget, and that it is not just the debt, but the interest, that must be addressed. The Democrats tried to give specific proposals, whether you agreed or disagreed, while the Republicans mere spouted hyperboles.

The issue is two fold. Finding a working solution that betters this country and doing so in a civilized and productive manner. I'm not saying, that both sides do not share blame. But in this instance, the rhetoric, toxic atmosphere, and condemnation rests with many of those on the extreme right. The fact that so many moderates, on both sides of the aisle, have retired or been defeated, emphasizes my point. There is little ability to compromise and work together. What is sad, in this election, is that so many have put there desire to be elected over integrity of right and wrong. As an example, I do not view the Tea Party is racist. But I do believe that it has provided an umbrella for those who are racist. And no one had the moral back bone to stand up and say that the Tea Party and/or the Republican Party would not tolerate such behavior. Equally true is the issue relative to President Obama's legitimacy of being an American citizen. The state of Hawaii has repeated verified and explained the issue. And yet, no one in the hierarchy of the party has publically derailed this as an issue. Finally, it is time to stop generalizing and be specific about the actions to be taken in dealing with the problems facing this nation. Recognize that good people can disagree. Stop embedding the potential for constitutional violence as a solution and set as a goal the need to find constructive solutions on which we can agree. And recognize that that will sometimes involve compromise. For those who see that as a problem, I would urge you to read the debates that preceded the final draft of our constitution. Had our constitutional fathers not seen the importance of compromise and working together the United States would not exist as a nation today.

Last edited:
Whovian, thanks for using my favorite quote. However, I think you've got it backward. It's the Tea Party and the Extremists Right Wingers/Conservatives who are creating a scenario of fear and blame. And above all, they are creating an atmosphere charged with such rancor, mistrust, and even hatred that there is no chance of anything but gridlock. Additionally, it was the Republicans, not the Democrats, who refused to put forth specifics. A case in point -- the deficit. Everyone agrees that the deficit needs to be reduced. But how is that going to be accomplished. Where specifically are cuts going to be made. Even conservative economists acknowledge that cutting waste and fraud will be minniscule in the efford, that major decisions are going to have to be made in Social Security and Medicare (which we have know since the Greenspan Commission), that military spending & homeland security is taking up an increasingly large percentage of the budget, and that it is not just the debt, but the interest, that must be addressed. The Democrats tried to give specific proposals, whether you agreed or disagreed, while the Republicans mere spouted hyperboles.
The issue is two fold. Finding a working solution that betters this country and doing so in a civilized and productive manner. I'm not saying, that both sides do not share blame. But in this instance, the rhetoric, toxic atmosphere, and condemnation rests with many of those on the extreme right. The fact that so many moderates, on both sides of the aisle, have retired or been defeated, emphasises my point that there is little ability to compromise and work together. What is sad, in this election, is that so many have put there desire to be elected over integrity of right and wrong. As an example, I don't think the Tea Party is racist. But I do believe that it has provided an umbrella for those who are racist. And, no one, and no one had the moral back bone to stand up and say that the Tea Party and/or the Republican Party would not tolerate such behavior. Equally true is the issue relative to President Obama's legitimacy of being an American citizen. The state of Hawaii has repeated verified and explained the issue. And yet, no one in the hierarchy of the party has publically derailed this as an issue. Finally, it is time to stop generalizing and be specific about the actions that should be taken in dealing with the present problems facing this nation. Recognize that good people can disagree. Stop enbedding the potential for constitution violence as a solution and set as a goal the need to find constructive solutions on which we can agree. And recognize that that will sometimes involve compromise. For those who see that as a problem, I would urge you to read the debates that preceded the final draft of our constitution. Had our constitutional fathers not seen the importance of compromize and working together the United States would not exist as a nation today.

Paragraphs, what the hell did you do to the paragraphs..... dood, seriously, spread it out, at least then we can put the effort in confronting your sour grapes lies and smears about the tea party.

snbl11225 said:
However, I think you've got it backward. It's the Tea Party and the Extremists Right Wingers/Conservatives who are creating a scenario of fear and blame. And above all, they are creating an atmosphere charged with such rancor, mistrust, and even hatred that there is no chance of anything but gridlock. Additionally, it was the Republicans, not the Democrats, who refused to put forth specifics. A case in point -- the deficit. Everyone agrees that the deficit needs to be reduced. But how is that going to be accomplished. Where specifically are cuts going to be made? Even conservative economists acknowledge that cutting waste and fraud will be minor in the effort, that major decisions are going to have to be made in Social Security and Medicare (which we have know since the Greenspan Commission), that military spending & homeland security is taking up an increasingly large percentage of the budget, and that it is not just the debt, but the interest, that must be addressed. The Democrats tried to give specific proposals, whether you agreed or disagreed, while the Republicans mere spouted hyperboles.

For your reading pleasure (not that I think you'll actually read it though). I'll bet you've never even heard of Ryan's roadmap have you??? Republicans have put many ideas out, but the media tends to ignore them.

A Roadmap for America's Future | The Budget Committee Republicans

Last edited:
Yeh...You and John Boehner think so. He just said: "More people are involved in their government than ever before". Except for the fact that 121 Million people voted in 2008 vs. 81 million in 2010. So...no. That would be his first lie as Speaker-To-Be.

But in Republican terms, 25% less equals "more than ever before". We should get used to that.

Let's see how suddenly and magically the unemployment rate goes down.

"off-season"

Key words, there

"off-season"

Amid unprecedented levels of untraceable corporate funding, ceaseless lies and propaganda from GOP-affiliated media organizations like Fox News, and a general atmosphere of auctioneering on the part of conservative groups like the "US" Chamber of Commerce, it was widely believed and asserted in Republican circles that the GOP was poised to "sweep" Congress.

While it is true that Republicans have made large gains from their current position and flipped the House of Representatives to their control, their best efforts - which is to say, lowest tactics imaginable - have failed to win them anything close to the current Democratic House majority, and have also left the Senate in Democratic control. There are currently 257 Democrats in the House, and after the inauguration of the new Congress in January, the Republican majority will hold 239. Furthermore, most of the defeated Democrats were conservative Blue Dogs who voted against their party much of the time anyway, so the actual shift in power is not even as significant as the numbers.

It would have been a major achievement if pursued as a normal campaign cycle, but the introduction of unlimited (and probably foreign) corporate funding into GOP coffers thanks to the "Citizens United" Supreme Court decision makes it far less impressive. With the aid of a lawless decision that, it seems, was deliberately targeted by conservative Justices toward making Republicans unstoppable, there was every expectation in its ranks of a "tsunami" or "red dawn" that could transform American politics back toward the path of fascism pursued during the Bush years.

Now, however, Republicans will have to deal with the reality that they are largely limited to doing what they've already been doing - malingering and obstructing. The American people can expect two years where absolutely nothing is accomplished except within domains exclusive to the Executive purview, and during which the public trust is repeatedly disgraced with random, profligate, costly investigations based on nothing but Republican malice, innuendo, and psychosis. Only time will tell if the GOP has fallen far enough into insanity to immediately impeach President Obama upon assuming office, or if they will at least look for the shadow of an excuse before attempting it.

The GOP now has a choice, and either option yields defeat in 2012: To be guided by the fanaticism of its base, and totally destroy any lingering impression that they are capable of governing, or ignore the base and face the wrath of their own tools. The people duped into voting Republican in this election were not voting to see gridlock or listen to Jim DeMint investigate whether the President's dog is an Iranian spy, but that's all they're going to get from Republicans: That and a never-ending supply of gaffes and scandals. Sweet dreams, my tea-drinking friends. :cool:
Oh, come 2012, well...we'll let the democrats keep their dreams, how about that? lol ;)

Paragraphs, what the hell did you do to the paragraphs..... dood, seriously, spread it out, at least then we can put the effort in confronting your sour grapes lies and smears about the tea party.

Sorry if my format confused you. First, its not about sour grapes. If you read my article, I said that both parties bear some responcibility. Secondly, you never responded to my primary issue. There was a lot of generalized discussion but little with respect to specific solutions. If you are going to talk about a problem then you should be prepared to put forth a solution. You may not have liked what the Democrats proposed but they had specific legislation. Most of what I heard from many Tea Partiers and Republicans from vague platitudes of cutting taxes and cutting the budget. All I suggested was that now they would have to put forth specific proposals and govern and that it was time for the parties to work together. Working together by definition requires some compromise and civility. To not do so, will continue to yield more gridlock.

If I have any personal bias, it is the attitude towards some on the extreme right who are decent Americans that have provided an umbrella for those who foster a toxic environment that fosters hate, bigotry, and rankor. And those who allow it to foster within there mist bear some responcibility. And, for the record, that has been true of those on the left who stood silent when people were bombing buildings and criticizing American soldiers in the 1960's. I was not quiet on the subject then and I will not be quiet now.

Actually, I have read the document. Though I disagree with parts of it, I do commend the time that went into Ryan and those who took the time to put it together. However, it was released, mentioned, and never discussed in detail throughout the campaign. I would like to respond to it in more detail. Perhaps we can have one of those constructive conversations that I mentioned. It is good to know that there are individuals who care about the substance over emotion of the argument. You give me some hope for the future. Thanks!

I'm a democrat. I wish to congratulate you all on a job well-done, and hope that we are on a speedy road to economic recovery.

You know, at first when I read this I thought it was genuine. . . and was kind of touched (though it didn't actually apply to me 100%)

But then later in the day you posted this
Andy Ostroy: The Voters Have Spoken...or Have They?

Republicans and Tea Party braggarts are beaming that voters have spoken. But have they? The truth is, I don't think they've said much of anything. Rather, what they did Tuesday instead was grunt and groan, letting out unintelligible gasps of exasperation. These schizophrenic voters, with their short memories and misguided rekindled love affair with Republicans, demonstrated what an angry, impatient and uninformed electorate is truly capable of.

So what happened between these few short hours to turn you so bitter? (if you were remotely genuinely endeavored in the AM) Where are you standing?
Do you think everyone who doesn't vote *your* way is a schizophrenic voter with short memories and is being misguided - OR do you actually respect the thoughts and decisions of said voters and actually hope that things turn out for the better?

You know, at first when I read this I thought it was genuine. . . and was kind of touched (though it didn't actually apply to me 100%)

But then later in the day you posted this

So what happened between these few short hours to turn you so bitter? (if you were remotely genuinely endeavored in the AM) Where are you standing?
Do you think everyone who doesn't vote *your* way is a schizophrenic voter with short memories and is being misguided - OR do you actually respect the thoughts and decisions of said voters and actually hope that things turn out for the better?

Did you finish the thread? That was all hammered out. I posted it. I did not say if I agreed or disagreed - I wanted the opinions of others. I addressed that issue further in.

Did you finish the thread? That was all hammered out. I posted it. I did not say if I agreed or disagreed - I wanted the opinions of others. I addressed that issue further in.

Ah - well perhaps you need to request a mod to quote it, since the edit feature expired.

Ah - well perhaps you need to request a mod to quote it, since the edit feature expired.

I'm not sure what you're talking about anymore. The thread is fine as it is.

I'm not sure what you're talking about anymore. The thread is fine as it is.

Well - as it is presents the notion that those are your words and not someone else. :shrug: If you don't want people thinking that those are your thoughts and words then you should consider having it revised - lest you don't mind the issues that have already come from it.

Well - as it is presents the notion that those are your words and not someone else. :shrug: If you don't want people thinking that those are your thoughts and words then you should consider having it revised - lest you don't mind the issues that have already come from it.

Wow. I guess I gotta stop giving people so much credit.

I'll ask a mod. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom