• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican voters only: Trump Vs Romney 2020 GOP nominee

Trump or Romney 2020?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .

Puigb

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
There seems to be a debate on whether or not Romney will try to make a run for the presidency in 2020, and try to challenge Trump. This question is for Republican voters (and independents who generally only vote Republican) only. Would you prefer Trump or Romney as the GOP presidential nominee in 2020?

I can't vote (non-Repub), but I'm eagerly awaiting the results!

I’m not voting, but does this assume that if Romney wins then Trump won’t run for re-election as an independent? Republicans are going to care if their vote is split or not. Because splitting the vote with an independent candidate will guarantee a Democratic victory.

I’m not voting, but does this assume that if Romney wins then Trump won’t run for re-election as an independent? Republicans are going to care if their vote is split or not.

This poll is for who Republican voters want as the Republican nominee, whether it is Trump, Romney, or someone else.

Trump would have the best chance to win unfortunately so I would likely vote for him this time. It would be a longshot but if Trump doesn't run as an independent and I thought Romney had a pretty good chance against the Democratic candidate then I probably would go Romney.

There seems to be a debate on whether or not Romney will try to make a run for the presidency in 2020, and try to challenge Trump. This question is for Republican voters (and independents who generally only vote Republican) only. Would you prefer Trump or Romney as the GOP presidential nominee in 2020?

As far as I know a primary challenger to an incumbent president of their party never won the general election. So what you are asking is how many republican voters want to give the 2020 presidency to the democrats by voting for Romney or some republican candidate other than Trump. I think the RINOs might go for it. I think most who absolutely don't want the democrats to win 2020 will vote for Trump.

I am a registered Republican. I will vote for ANYONE who opposes Trump in 2020. I freaking don't care who it is. Anyone who can keep Trump off the ballot has my vote.

As far as I know a primary challenger to an incumbent president of their party never won the general election. So what you are asking is how many republican voters want to give the 2020 presidency to the democrats by voting for Romney or some republican candidate other than Trump. I think the RINOs might go for it. I think most who absolutely don't want the democrats to win 2020 will vote for Trump.

lol. Any Republican who opposes Trump is a RINO?? lol.

Romney will lose anyway! But, the Democrats would jump and down because they know that they just bagged a win. I have to go with the president

I'm not. Some people's opinions on certain subjects simply no longer matter.
Regardless if they matter in logical sense, we still need to know the mood of the country. Because those votes do count.

Regardless if they matter in logical sense, we still need to know the mood of the country. Because those votes do count.

We, you, I and the rest of the general public will know in good time, namely when the votes are tallied. Between then and now, we need only ourselves resolve to vote, ideally for anyone other than Trump, and implore and abet everyone we know to do the same.

If you have some quantity, however, great or small, of resources (time, money or both), some ways to do that include:
  • contribute to help voters get registered,
  • help people in low voter turnout areas to get registered,
  • help people in low turnout areas actually get to and from polling places,
  • solicit employers to accord PTO to their staff for taking time to vote,
  • host a fundraising event,
  • solicit employers to coordinate a "go to the polls and vote" event for employees,
  • contribute to volunteer shuttle services for people who need rides to polling places,
  • give people rides yourself,
  • get your friends to do the same.
Those and other things like it are what folks need to do. Respective candidates' political strategy teams are who need to worry about the "mood of the country," and that is something they are both well paid to do and quite capable of doing, by comparison, at levels of accuracy making the stuff we get on the news seem like little more than fortune telling.

We, you, I and the rest of the general public will know in good time, namely when the votes are tallied. Between then and now, we need only ourselves resolve to vote, ideally for anyone other than Trump, and implore and abet everyone we know to do the same.

If you have some quantity, however, great or small, of resources (time, money or both), some ways to do that include:
  • contribute to help voters get registered,
  • help people in low voter turnout areas to get registered,
  • help people in low turnout areas actually get to and from polling places,
  • solicit employers to accord PTO to their staff for taking time to vote,
  • host a fundraising event,
  • solicit employers to coordinate a "go to the polls and vote" event for employees,
  • contribute to volunteer shuttle services for people who need rides to polling places,
  • give people rides yourself,
  • get your friends to do the same.
Those and other things like it are what folks need to do. Respective candidates' political strategy teams are who need to worry about the "mood of the country," and that is something they are both well paid to do and quite capable of doing, by comparison, at levels of accuracy making the stuff we get on the news seem like little more than fortune telling.
Well I'd also argue those of us that enjoy debating politics online, may be interested in knowing the mood of the country. I've been hooked on this stuff since I was a newspaper boy helping out the neighborhood precinct captain, who happened to live across the street.

Even if Trump decides not to run in 2020 Romney would not get passed the 2nd primary. Trump has highjacked the Republican base
and their are many who will then seek the nomination more preferable than Romney. By now even Romney should realize that.

Worse than Mitt-wit are the tools who may actually vote for him. Romney criticizing Trump is like Blaine Gabbert Slamming Tom Brady.
He has has successfully secured that coveted constituency of the ten remaining Never Trumpers. I guess he is replacing
McMillen as their standard bearer. In conclusion it’s fair to describe Romney as a four alarm scumbag.

I want either John Kasich or Jon Huntsman. But I would support Romney if my other choice was that POS Trump.

Well I'd also argue those of us that enjoy debating politics online, may be interested in knowing the mood of the country. I've been hooked on this stuff since I was a newspaper boy helping out the neighborhood precinct captain, who happened to live across the street.

Red:
Okay. I will take your word for that for it's highly likely you're right.

I hope those of you who enjoy debating politics online find more to do with mood of the country information than merely avail yourselves of it to debate online (or anywhere else).

I want either John Kasich or Jon Huntsman. But I would support Romney if my other choice was that POS Trump.
I'm no Romney fan either, but after watching him on CNN lat night it was like a breath of fresh air. He was dignified, calm, respectful, sensible, etc. All the things Trump is not.

But catch this: He's pushing mandatory E-Verify! :thumbs:

That doesn't just get points from me, but that could score extremely well against Trump in vying for the heart of the Republican base and Trump's base. I've been at a loss to understand why Trump refuses to call for E-Verify? It's an already in place solution. Why is it being ignored?

I'm no Romney fan either, but after watching him on CNN lat night it was like a breath of fresh air. He was dignified, calm, respectful, sensible, etc. All the things Trump is not.

But catch this: He's pushing mandatory E-Verify! :thumbs:

That doesn't just get points from me, but that could score extremely well against Trump in vying for the heart of the Republican base and Trump's base. I've been at a loss to understand why Trump refuses to call for E-Verify? It's an already in place solution. Why is it being ignored?

Good question.

Romney is in every possible way Presidential by appearance - he is everything Trump is NOT. Dignified, handsome, in shape, articulate, likeable, intelligent, and decent.

Good question.

Romney is in every possible way Presidential by appearance - he is everything Trump is NOT. Dignified, handsome, in shape, articulate, likeable, intelligent, and decent.
You may find this article interesting. It's the first article I've seen that posits a third party, where the article uses numerical and political analysis that makes sense (rather than just idealistic dreaming). I'd consider voting for this ticket.

Check it out, if you will:

(Politico Magazine) Biden Should Run on a Unity Ticket With Romney

If he runs I will vote for Jeff Flake. If not, Romney gets my vote.

Trump's tweets is enough for me to say no.

If he ran tomorrow Romney would lose to trump because Trump owns the base. But I think it's unlikely Romney expects to run against Trump in 2020. He's setting himself up to take the party back after the president has resigned in disgrace. It'll be a lot easier to run against an incumbent, unelected promoted Vice president Pence, who has little personality or following of his own. By then Republican voters will be sighing and shrugging and looking for the candidate more likely to win.

The red-hats will simply choose the lesser of two evils, 'evil' in their case amounting to 'not Trump'.

You may find this article interesting. It's the first article I've seen that posits a third party, where the article uses numerical and political analysis that makes sense (rather than just idealistic dreaming). I'd consider voting for this ticket.

Check it out, if you will:

(Politico Magazine) Biden Should Run on a Unity Ticket With Romney

The missus is always opining that we should go back to when the top vote getter was elected POTUS and the runner-up was their VP.

Back
Top Bottom