• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican voters only: Trump Vs Romney 2020 GOP nominee

Trump or Romney 2020?

• Total voters
  • This poll will close: .
The missus is always opining that we should go back to when the top vote getter was elected POTUS and the runner-up was their VP.

Jesus imagine trying to get Trump and Clinton to work together. Might as well throw two tomcats in a bag.

There seems to be a debate on whether or not Romney will try to make a run for the presidency in 2020, and try to challenge Trump. This question is for Republican voters (and independents who generally only vote Republican) only. Would you prefer Trump or Romney as the GOP presidential nominee in 2020?

Any Republican but Romney. Romney is a nicey nicey loser who has never been able to figure out whether he is a liberal or a conservative. He's far more interested in being liked than being right.

If Trump doesn't seek or get a second term it wouldn't bother me. I like most of his policies, but not his disconnect between brain and mouth. But I voted for him to stop the establishment freight train wreck. That he did. Democrat and Republican alike.

You may find this article interesting. It's the first article I've seen that posits a third party, where the article uses numerical and political analysis that makes sense (rather than just idealistic dreaming). I'd consider voting for this ticket.

Check it out, if you will:

(Politico Magazine) Biden Should Run on a Unity Ticket With Romney

If Biden and Romney ran on some new third party ticket and they were the only opposition, I'd have a shot.

I can't think of a worse combination.

If Biden and Romney ran on some new third party ticket and they were the only opposition, I'd have a shot.

I can't think of a worse combination.
I agree. I miss the old days of moderates; the JFK Democrats & Rockefeller Republicans. Did you read the article? It's pretty good, and I've still got the link.

There seems to be a debate on whether or not Romney will try to make a run for the presidency in 2020, and try to challenge Trump. This question is for Republican voters (and independents who generally only vote Republican) only. Would you prefer Trump or Romney as the GOP presidential nominee in 2020?

I didn't vote in the poll since I am a Liberal. Romney said Wednesday that he wasn't running for President again. He did raise the specter that someone might primary Trump but not him. Romney had no ambivalence about Running again. I understand the RNC sent out an email to its membership warning of the possibility that Trump could get a challenger for the nomination. Of notable Republicans who have not ruled out a challenge against Trump there is John Kasich, Jeff Flake, and Bob Corker. We should know fairly soon because if there is a challenge the challenger will have to tip his/her hand by forming the apparatus for making a challenge. There are the obvious possible challengers and someone who could come from an unexpected place such as a retired general of the military. Newsweek lists 10 including Romney. https://www.newsweek.com/trump-challengers-republicans-run-president-2020-760416

The missus is always opining that we should go back to when the top vote getter was elected POTUS and the runner-up was their VP.
Now that's not a bad idea, to be honest.

At this point Romney or Kasich are the only Republicans I would vote for.

I'm no Romney fan either, but after watching him on CNN lat night it was like a breath of fresh air. He was dignified, calm, respectful, sensible, etc. All the things Trump is not.

But catch this: He's pushing mandatory E-Verify! :thumbs:

That doesn't just get points from me, but that could score extremely well against Trump in vying for the heart of the Republican base and Trump's base. I've been at a loss to understand why Trump refuses to call for E-Verify? It's an already in place solution. Why is it being ignored?

I think Trump does not want to make E-Verify mandatory because many of the donors in his base are business owners who use undocumented labor. They don't want to be forced to use it for business reasons.

lol. Any Republican who opposes Trump is a RINO?? lol.

Any republican who would willfully hand the presidency to the democrats is a RINO.

I am a registered Republican. I will vote for ANYONE who opposes Trump in 2020. I freaking don't care who it is. Anyone who can keep Trump off the ballot has my vote.

I will be registering as a republican and will vote for whomever I think has the best chance of keeping Trump from getting the nomination

I'm no Romney fan either, but after watching him on CNN lat night it was like a breath of fresh air. He was dignified, calm, respectful, sensible, etc. All the things Trump is not.

But catch this: He's pushing mandatory E-Verify! :thumbs:

That doesn't just get points from me, but that could score extremely well against Trump in vying for the heart of the Republican base and Trump's base. I've been at a loss to understand why Trump refuses to call for E-Verify? It's an already in place solution. Why is it being ignored?

Because corporate america likes the cheap labor.

Besides, E-Verify does not rile up the racists

I will be registering as a republican and will vote for whomever I think has the best chance of keeping Trump from getting the nomination

Not a bad idea, unless you live in a state that doesn't allow primary voters to access the other party (like I do). I've voted a split ticket all my life, but when the GOP started down the rabbit hole in the 90's, it got fewer and fewer of my votes; I stayed on the GOP rolls so I could access the GOP primary ballot, while my husband accesses the DNC ballot, lol.

Democrats need a really, really strong candidate in 2020; they are so split internally that they are setting their own asses on fire.

I was a Republican for 35 years.. In the 2018 midterms I found out, that I'm still registered as a Republican. Even though I am 'pretty' sure I changed my 'affiliation' 6-8 years ago. Maybe I didn't, IDK.. It really doesn't matter I never, ever vote in the primaries anyway.

Anyway I would no longer vote for a Republican POTUS even if someone held a gun to my head. Nationally the whole ****in party has gone bat **** crazy. It's not just Trump, the fact that the rest of the GOP in Congress has sat back and let Trump and his lunatic base destroy trade agreements, and piss off our allies, and divide the country like he has? And the cowards in Congress have done NOTHING!!!!! F them... I got no use for any Republican anymore.

Rubio is my top pick.

I voted "other" so as to be able to see the results. I'm an indie but I do not support this Trump/McConnel Republican party.

I think Trump does not want to make E-Verify mandatory because many of the donors in his base are business owners who use undocumented labor. They don't want to be forced to use it for business reasons.
As neither does he want to use it in his businesses. As we can see with the scam with illegals & fake documents his NJ golf club was running.

Chomsky;1069493693ial backers cost? said:
Both are good points, IMO.

That whole argument is debased by reality. How much does anyone think E-verify would hurt any business holdings of President Trump or his otherworldly friends? $100K a year each? Please.
Regards,
CP

As neither does he want to use it in his businesses. As we can see with the scam with illegals & fake documents his NJ golf club was running.

That remains to be seen. Some of those undocumented Trump workers are claiming the Trump organization aided and abetted their bogus documents. The matter won't be dropped and it won't go away.

I was going to vote on this poll but, when I realized it was not going to close until June 8, 2035 and 37 minutes after midnight on that date, I figure I have lots of time to do so.

I'm looking for someone to the right of Trump. Senators Ben Sasse or Mike Lee come to mind. I would take Romney over Trump.

I’m not voting, but does this assume that if Romney wins then Trump won’t run for re-election as an independent? Republicans are going to care if their vote is split or not. Because splitting the vote with an independent candidate will guarantee a Democratic victory.

Trump won't even have to run if he loses, a primary challenge will do far more damage to the party then a split ticket run. It would be far better for Trump to run for reelection or if he decides not to run again in the first place then to primary him out.

That remains to be seen. Some of those undocumented Trump workers are claiming the Trump organization aided and abetted their bogus documents. The matter won't be dropped and it won't go away.
With all the other big recent news, the NJ fake document scandal has gotten little play. But you are right; I do not think it's going away.

I'm looking for someone to the right of Trump. Senators Ben Sasse or Mike Lee come to mind. I would take Romney over Trump.

Romney is certainly not to the right of Trump...

He is certainly of higher personal character, but that's not what wins elections.

Romney is certainly not to the right of Trump...

He is certainly of higher personal character, but that's not what wins elections.

True, and true. I have yet to see an election for pastor, but I'm certain Romney would win that. Fortunately for our country, we aren't electing pastors. Last I heard, we vote for the person who is most capable of leading the country. Sen. Romney tried before and was rejected. President Trump was elected. What is the expression? Oh yeah, the proof is in the pudding.
Regards,
CP

Back
Top Bottom