• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Voters Only -- Do you support these "heartbeat" laws?

Do you support Heartbeat bills?

• Yes. I support the Texas & Florida Law, but feel rape or incest should be included.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I only support the Texas Law (6 weeks)

• No. Life begins at conception. These laws do not go far enough.

• No. These laws are impractical and goes too far.

• No. support in principle, but feel they are poorly written/conceived.

• No, support in principle, but feel it is the wrong time period

• Total voters

BrotherFease

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
This is for Republican or Conservative-leaning voters only. We know what liberals and Democrats think of these "heartbeat" bills -- a major intrusion on a woman's most fundamental right. What do you guys feel? Texas banned abortion after 6 weeks. Florida banned abortion after 15 weeks. Both laws do not include exceptions for rape or incest. If the woman's life or health is in danger, then a medical professional can approve the abortion procedure.

I have nine options below. Here is a more detailed explanation of the options:

Yes. I support the Texas & Florida Law - Pretty straight-forward. You support banning abortion in the 6-15 week period. No rape or incest exceptions, but you believe abortions are okay, if they come with a medical excuse.

Yes. I support the Texas & Florida Law, but feel rape or incest should be included - You support these bills as written, but feel rape and incest should be included.

I only support the Texas / Florida Law - This basically means you support one over the other. Texas law is within the first trimester. Florida law applies to second trimester abortions.

No. Unless they include rape or incest, I cannot support them - You cannot support any of these bills unless rape or incest exceptions are being made.

No. Life begins at conception. These laws do not go far enough - You feel these laws are bad because they allow early pregnancy abortions. There is no way you can support these laws as they are written.

No. These laws are impractical and goes too far - You consider yourself "pro-choice". You feel the first two trimesters are up the woman's discretion.

No. support in principle, but feel they are poorly written/conceived - You consider yourself "pro-life" and support these bills in principle, but object to the specific wording, rules, or regulations.

No, support in principle, but feel it is the wrong time period - You believe the Roe vs. Wade decision is popular with the American public, especially among female voters. You think the "heart is in the right place" with these laws, but feel it is going to damage the Republican Party in the long-term.

We know what liberals and Democrats think of these "heartbeat" bills -- a major intrusion on a woman's most fundamental right. What do you guys feel?

Yet these same liberals and Democrats have no problem putting her in prison if she chooses to ingest, inhale, or inject certain politically incorrect drugs.

Putting things into your own body is more of a fundamental right than having an abortion, yet you lot believe it's a government-granted privilege.

Yet these same liberals and Democrats have no problem putting her in prison if she chooses to ingest, inhale, or inject certain politically incorrect drugs.

Putting things into your own body is more of a fundamental right than having an abortion, yet you lot believe it's a government-granted privilege.

Didn't Republicans start the war on drugs?

What are your opinions about the Texas and Florida laws?

To clarify, it is not the sixth week after conception, but six weeks after the first day of a pregnant woman's last period. By the sixth week of gestation - before an embryo has any functioning heart tissue - it is already too late. The term 'heartbeat law" is a lie.

Didn't Republicans start the war on drugs?

No, it was started by two of the most progressive presidents we've had. Wilson signed the Harrison act into law, and then FDR escalated it.

fdr drug war.png

This is for Republican or Conservative-leaning voters only. We know what liberals and Democrats think of these "heartbeat" bills -- a major intrusion on a woman's most fundamental right. What do you guys feel? Texas banned abortion after 6 weeks. Florida banned abortion after 15 weeks. Both laws do not include exceptions for rape or incest. If the woman's life or health is in danger, then a medical professional can approve the abortion procedure.

I have nine options below. Here is a more detailed explanation of the options:

Yes. I support the Texas & Florida Law - Pretty straight-forward. You support banning abortion in the 6-15 week period. No rape or incest exceptions, but you believe abortions are okay, if they come with a medical excuse.

Yes. I support the Texas & Florida Law, but feel rape or incest should be included - You support these bills as written, but feel rape and incest should be included.

I only support the Texas / Florida Law - This basically means you support one over the other. Texas law is within the first trimester. Florida law applies to second trimester abortions.

No. Unless they include rape or incest, I cannot support them - You cannot support any of these bills unless rape or incest exceptions are being made.

No. Life begins at conception. These laws do not go far enough - You feel these laws are bad because they allow early pregnancy abortions. There is no way you can support these laws as they are written.

No. These laws are impractical and goes too far - You consider yourself "pro-choice". You feel the first two trimesters are up the woman's discretion.

No. support in principle, but feel they are poorly written/conceived - You consider yourself "pro-life" and support these bills in principle, but object to the specific wording, rules, or regulations.

No, support in principle, but feel it is the wrong time period - You believe the Roe vs. Wade decision is popular with the American public, especially among female voters. You think the "heart is in the right place" with these laws, but feel it is going to damage the Republican Party in the long-term.

since I've not read either of these bills I can only respond in general terms. Nor am I a OB/Gyn to speak authoritatively on when a fetus becomes viable outside the womb; although I have to say with the way medical science is advancing that is a moving target. I read a piece by an MD in cardiology the other day that suggested that medical science has a half-life of 10-12 months in some fields.

All that said I will say that I think an absolute ban on abortion is wrong. And life of the mother or rape/incest should be gold card issue.

I'm surprised there are so few votes.

The Florida law was just signed, so most likely most people are not aware of the filthy details yet (such as lacking sex crime exceptions).

So my other vote explained.
I believe in banning abortion at an early stage. But at the second trimester onwards. Basically at the 13 week mark.
I believe in giving a women the choice to continue on with a pregnancy, like with plan B pills. It provides for a choice for the women. But also because of this a women needs to know she is pregnant. If we went by heart beat at 6 weeks, some women who have irregular periods wouldn't know they were pregnant before it was to late. I believe this should be accounted for. I'd be happy with a viability limit, say no abortions after 21 weeks. But id prefer the 13 week mark personally. I do not see any need for an exception for rape or incest. You know you are pregnant and have a month to decide what you want to do about it. I dont understand why if someone was raped they deserve 6 months to decide if they want to have an abortion. Its either wrong to kill the baby in the womb or not. I am ok with abortion as a means to save the mothers life. I do believe that every effort would be made to try and save the life of the baby. So if its a late term save the mother situation it would be more like an induced birth or C-section hopefully.

I'm not a Republican, so I didn't vote. But that means I couldn't see the result of your poll. Please put up a post showing the results because I, at least, am interested.

Back
Top Bottom