• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican senator threatens to vote against judges after GOP blocks vote on Mueller protection bill

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
So McConnell is being trump's little bitch and is blocking bill to protect Mueller. Flake is doing his usual tough talk. We'll see if he won't Flake out yet again.

Republican senator threatens to vote against judges after GOP blocks vote on Mueller protection bill

Retiring Republican Sen. Jeff Flake said Wednesday that he will not vote to confirm the Trump administration's judicial nominees on the Senate floor or advance them in the Senate Judiciary Committee if legislation to protect special counsel Robert Mueller does not receive a Senate floor vote.

Flake made the new judicial threat after he and Sen. Chris Coons, a Delaware Democrat, unsuccessfully attempted to force a Senate vote on the special counsel legislation Senate Wednesday. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell objected to the request for a vote from Flake.​

(CNN)Retiring Republican Sen. Jeff Flake said Wednesday that he will not vote to confirm the Trump administration's judicial nominees on the Senate floor or advance them in the Senate Judiciary Committee if legislation to protect special counsel Robert Mueller does not receive a Senate floor vote.

Flake made the new judicial threat after he and Sen. Chris Coons, a Delaware Democrat, unsuccessfully attempted to force a Senate vote on the special counsel legislation Senate Wednesday. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell objected to the request for a vote from Flake.

But the Arizona Republican's threats on judicial nominees could complicate matters in the Judiciary Committee, where Republicans have an 11-10 majority. There are currently 21 judicial nominees pending in the committee and 32 who are awaiting a floor vote, Flake said.

"We have been told that the bill that Senator Coons and I will move to bring up shortly is not necessary, as there have been no indications that the independence of Mr. Mueller's investigation is in jeopardy," Flake said. "That may have been an arguable position before last week. But it is not arguable anymore."

Flake and a handful of other Republican senators, such as Sen. Susan Collins of Maine, have said they think the legislation to protect the special counsel is necessary after President Donald Trump fired his attorney general, Jeff Sessions, and replaced him with acting Attorney General Matt Whitaker, who has been openly critical of the Mueller probe.

"The President now has this investigation in his sights, and we all know it," Flake said.

The special counsel bill passed the Senate Judiciary Committee in April as a bipartisan compromise hammered out by two Republicans and two Democrats, including Coons, backed by Senate Judiciary Chairman Chuck Grassley, an Iowa Republican....

And so, as I predicted, slowly even Republicans are turning on TRump. With Flake and Collins, the Senate will have to pass legislation protecting Mueller.

And so, as I predicted, slowly even Republicans are turning on TRump. With Flake and Collins, the Senate will have to pass legislation protecting Mueller.

Best news of the day. Thanks for reporting it.

Pfffttt Flake is gone in January and he has never had Trump's back. Collins is playing to the Maine voter. Trump has specifically said he isn't stopping the Mueller investigation.

Meh. This is a tiny burp in the process of rushing judicial appointees through the process.

Flake will be gone soon. He had a chance to make a difference, but mostly he made noise.

It will be up to others to stand up against any future Trump assaults on our justice system.

Pfffttt Flake is gone in January and he has never had Trump's back. Collins is playing to the Maine voter. Trump has specifically said he isn't stopping the Mueller investigation.

Trump specifically said a lot of things that weren't true.

So McConnell is being trump's little bitch and is blocking bill to protect Mueller. Flake is doing his usual tough talk. We'll see if he won't Flake out yet again.

Retiring Republican Sen. Jeff Flake said Wednesday that he will not vote to confirm the Trump administration's judicial nominees on the Senate floor or advance them in the Senate Judiciary Committee if legislation to protect special counsel Robert Mueller does not receive a Senate floor vote.

Flake made the new judicial threat after he and Sen. Chris Coons, a Delaware Democrat, unsuccessfully attempted to force a Senate vote on the special counsel legislation Senate Wednesday. Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell objected to the request for a vote from Flake.​

Another misguided flaky GOP Trump hating senator joins fellow democrats on the way out. Good riddance.

Another misguided flaky GOP Trump hating senator joins fellow democrats on the way out. Good riddance.

And a warm welcome to Flake's replacement, Democrat Kyrsten Sinema.
She's so much better for Trump than Flake.
Also waiting in the wings, from Utah, noted Trump skeptic, Mitt Romney.
Things are not looking good for "The John".

Um, who is believing a guy that lies 70% of the time? Who cares what Trump says? He doesn't even care what he says.

His actions are that he is trying to "contain" the investigation... hence, it needs to be protected.

So McConnell stands his ground, no bill to the floor. New Congress 3 Jan, how much longer are the judicial nominees delayed. I am guessing but I think it all starts over. So could be months longer for approval

Yeah, and Donald Trump lies about everything.

[/B][/I][/I]

Um, who is believing a guy that lies 70% of the time? Who cares what Trump says? He doesn't even care what he says.

His actions are that he is trying to "contain" the investigation... hence, it needs to be protected.

Is Mueller's investigation still on going. Did the Trump administration try to not give Mueller the documents he requested. Did they restrict the White House attorney, Don McGahn from talking to Mueller? That doesn't sound like he is obstructing Mueller from doing his job. Dems are such Drama Queens. It reminds me of a bunch middle school girls.

Last edited:

All talk no action. Flake and O'Connell will cave in and do whatever trump orders them to do. And democrat Joe Manchin will probably vote with the republicans - YET AGAIN.

Is Mueller's investigation still on going. Did the Trump administration try to not give Mueller the documents he requested. Did they restrict the White House attorney, Don McGahn from talking to Mueller? That doesn't sound like he is obstructing Mueller from doing his job. Dems are such Drama Queens. It reminds me of a bunch middle school girls.

If they aren't obstructing Mueller then why did trump fire sessions and appoint his mate Whitaker - who wants to close down Mueller's investigation? Sounds like obstruction to me. trump is wetting his Depends cos he knows his days are numbered. And when the conservatives once again threaten a civil war - the outcome will be the same as the last civil war.

All talk no action. Flake and O'Connell will cave in and do whatever trump orders them to do. And democrat Joe Manchin will probably vote with the republicans - YET AGAIN.
Flake can do what ever he wants he is a lame duck. The Senate gets stronger for Trump in January. The judges will pass the Senate now or later the dems can't stop them.

Gee I thought people voted for senators to look after THEM and their STATE. I didn't know senators were supposed to ignore their constituents and just do whatever protects trump.

Having said that - did you see Collins and Flake give the finger to their constituents and constantly vote for whatever trump demanded? How is that not having trump's back?

You must be one of those conservatives that called WAR HERO AND PATRIOT John McCain a coward and a traitor. I'm not a republican but I prefer my war heros who don't dodge the draft 5 times because they had (imaginary) bone spurs.

Flake can do what ever he wants he is a lame duck. The Senate gets stronger for Trump in January. The judges will pass the Senate now or later the dems can't stop them.

Yes trump will have a stronger senate to ram through more far right white ***** grabbers to the supreme court. But the dems have the House and they are gonna make life HELL for the arsehole. And the republicans can't stop them.

Flake tends to be more bluster over action. Let’s see what happens.

Awwee... you believe the liar in chief's word. You're so adorable.

Trumps actions and past comments say other wise.

And a warm welcome to Flake's replacement, Democrat Kyrsten Sinema.
She's so much better for Trump than Flake.
Also waiting in the wings, from Utah, noted Trump skeptic, Mitt Romney.
Things are not looking good for "The John".

When the wicked gain power good people mourn but evil people rejoice.

Is there any indication that Mueller is actually being targeted, or is even in danger of being targeted by anything?

Back
Top Bottom