• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Senator Graham urges Trump to open U.S. government temporarily

Rogue Valley

Lead or get out of the way
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
Republican Senator Graham urges Trump to open U.S. government temporarily

5a61303469254.image.jpg

1/13/19
WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A Republican senator close to President Donald Trump on Sunday backed a temporary re-opening of the federal government, in the 23rd day of the longest shutdown ever, to allow for talks on a spending agreement that could satisfy Trump’s border security demands. Graham, chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee, said he urged the president on Sunday to reopen the government for a limited period to try to get talks going again. If no progress is made, he said, then Trump should declare a national emergency as a way to get money to build his wall, a plan not popular with some fellow Republicans. “Before he pulls the plug on the legislative option, and I think we are almost there, I would urge them to open up the government for a short period of time, like three weeks, before he pulls the plug (to) see if we can get a deal,” Graham said on “Fox News Sunday.” He said Trump told him, “Let’s make a deal, then open up the government.” Democrats hammered away at their demand that Trump reopen the government. Senator Tim Kaine called the wall, which could cost an estimated $23 billion, a “vanity project” that Trump promised Mexico - not U.S. taxpayers - would pay for. “Put an end to the shutdown and put everything on the table,” Dick Durbin, the No. 2 Democrat in the Senate, said on ABC’s “This Week” show.

Much more politically astute than Trump, Graham realizes that holding government employees hostage indefinitely is a losing hand.

Related: Americans blame shutdown on Trump over Democrats by wide margin, poll finds

Good luck with Trump closing the shebang again, once it opens......

The other story in this is flip flop flimflam Graham going from supporting National Emergency to supporting a "temporary" reopening of government. That is about as much a flipflop as your favorite lunchpail, tough-guy construction worker showing up at your door in an A-line dress and a pair of Mules. But I will take what I can get from a Senate Elephant at this point.

The other story in this is flip flop flimflam Graham going from supporting National Emergency to supporting a "temporary" reopening of government. That is about as much a flipflop as your favorite lunchpail, tough-guy construction worker showing up at your door in an A-line dress and a pair of Mules. But I will take what I can get from a Senate Elephant at this point.

Graham quickly become an unabashed Trump fan after fellow Musketeer John McCain passed. He obviously must be amenable to lies and flip-flopping :yes:

Graham and Trump have no intention of ever fighting for the wall again, once the government reopens.

They are defeated but don't want to tell their base that.

Good luck with Trump closing the shebang again, once it opens......

Exactly why he should force Congress to do it over his continued objections.

Then veto the bill and see if Congress overrides it.

He can claim he did his best, and his base will blame Congress. :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom