• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Party of Death

Now I am disgusted with the blood thirst that most conservatives have, especially in the bible belt. As a christian, I get so irritated at conservatives when they say that liberals are Godless and yet they view capital punishment as some kind of sport held in the roman Colosseum. The execution of Troy Davis is a perfect example of this blood thirst they have. There was too much doubt to take this man's life. At least hold off on execution until it is clear. I would hate to meet my maker one day knowing I took someone's life with doubt still in the air.
Clapping smiley.gif A hardy amen from another Bible belt Christian.

Troy Davis and Lawrence Brewer: 2 executions, 2 reactions

Troy Davis and Lawrence Brewer were executed Wednesday night. And the nation's reaction couldn't be more divided.

Troy Davis and Lawrence Brewer: 2 executions, 2 reactions - latimes.com
Yes indeed. There were a LOT of people right on board with the execution of the white supremacist. Dragging a man to death because of his race is indeed a vile crime...punishable by death. Shooting a man trying to stop you from beating a homeless man with the same weapon used to shoot another man earlier that night...shooting that officer in the face and heart is...well...

dead is dead...

WILLIAMS: Governor Perry, a question about Texas. Your state has executed 234 death row inmates, more than any other governor in modern times. Have you...
(APPLAUSE)

... What do you make of that dynamic that just happened here, the mention of the execution of 234 people drew applause?

transcript, The Republican Debate at the Reagan Library, Sept. 7, 2011

The Republican Party celebrates death; revels in it. Above is just one of many recent instances where a Republican audience took pleasure in people dying. This is so beyond me I can't comprehend it: a whole, (supposedly) mainstream political party embracing death.

Can anybody provide additional examples? Can anybody explain this behavior?

Pretty good solution, don't come to TX and murder one of the police, fire, or other citizens and you won't have to worry about it.

A man condemned to die usually is not innocent... They are in that situation because they were found guilty of a heinous crime.

You are nothing more than a multi celled organism, I am nothing more than a multi celled organism. Your argument accomplishes nothing.

The average time in TX for a convinction and execution is over 15 years of endless appeals and ultimately the SC review. No one has yet to prove that TX has executed an innocent individual because of that 15 year process.

Last edited:
I don't know if i would categorize my reaction to murders getting executed as a "celebration"... but I'm pleased with their demise, in general.

I really like the idea of innocent people having their lives protected and such... but when they commit such a great crime as 1st degree murder, all my sympathies vanishes into thin air... they become nothing more than feral animals to me.

Obama was asked to step in concerning the execution last night. He refused to get involved. Clinton did nothing to try and halt executions when he was president. It's a fallacy to try and claim one side is superior here. Both are wrong.

Which execution? There were two.

WILLIAMS: Governor Perry, a question about Texas. Your state has executed 234 death row inmates, more than any other governor in modern times. Have you...
(APPLAUSE)

... What do you make of that dynamic that just happened here, the mention of the execution of 234 people drew applause?

transcript, The Republican Debate at the Reagan Library, Sept. 7, 2011

The Republican Party celebrates death; revels in it. Above is just one of many recent instances where a Republican audience took pleasure in people dying. This is so beyond me I can't comprehend it: a whole, (supposedly) mainstream political party embracing death.

This is silly. All it means is that conservatives are strong law and order types, but we already knew this and on its own, its not a defacto bad thing.

Lets keep our criticisms to something legitimate and less silly.

Last edited:
Saw an article where 58% of Democrats support the death penality.

Clinton, Obama and Edwards all support capital punishment
Give Them Death: Three Leading Democratic Candidates Support Capital Punishment | Civil Liberties | AlterNet

Obama in his memoir, "Dreams from My Father," Obama wrote that while the death penalty "does little to deter crime," he supports capital punishment in cases "so heinous, so beyond the pale, that the community is justified in expressing the full measure of its outrage by meting out the ultimate punishment."

So this thread is another Republicans bad, Democrats good. Yet the data does not quite support that. Both parties have members who support the death penality.

yawn. yes, yes, I know, I know. Conservatives are evil because they are in favor of killing child-molesters. Liberals are enlightened because they prefer instead to kill the children. so and and etc. :roll:

as mega said - hyperbole helps no one in either direction.

Last edited:
Ridiculous right? Comparing the defense of executing murderers to the defense of slaughtering unborn children for the crime of being 'inconvenient'...how ****ing pathetic can these discussion get?

Inmates have families, they have parents, and they even have children. Execution just commits the same injustice on another family that it did the victim. The only pretend distinction that we make is that it's in the name of "justice" and that it's okay because it's the State doing it.

Murder is murder.

Inmates have families, they have parents, and they even have children. Execution just commits the same injustice on another family that it did the victim. The only pretend distinction that we make is that it's in the name of "justice" and that it's okay because it's the State doing it.

Murder is murder.
Then by all means...be against the death penalty. Including, be against the death penalty for all those artists, doctors, scientists, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, that ended up sucked out of a womb and disposed because their birth would be inconvenient to someone.

Then by all means...be against the death penalty. Including, be against the death penalty for all those artists, doctors, scientists, mothers, fathers, sons, daughters, that ended up sucked out of a womb and disposed because their birth would be inconvenient to someone.

Indeed, the law makes all sorts of exceptions. I think that is what I'm trying to point out here.

Your point?

The average time in TX for a convinction and execution is over 15 years of endless appeals and ultimately the SC review. No one has yet to prove that TX has executed an innocent individual because of that 15 year process.

And you want us to wait until we're sure we've murdered an innocent person before we do something about it?

There are plenty of situations in which the law recognizing that killing another person can be perfectly fine. But it is absurd to kill someone who is already in jail and unable to harm society.

Last edited:
Both parties have their hands soaked in blood as far as Im concerned.
F'en BINGO, you got that right. It's all about the party one belongs two nothing more and nothing less. When the party says jump all who believe say how high.

Obama was asked to step in concerning the execution last night. He refused to get involved. Clinton did nothing to try and halt executions when he was president. It's a fallacy to try and claim one side is superior here. Both are wrong.

it's not appropriate for the President of the United States to intervene in the Davis case who happens to be one of his own citizens but it apparently is appropriate to be selectively spreading freedom and democracy in the Middle East right now because it suits.

awesome.

not appropriate my ass. he's the god damn President.

rag on the Republicans all you like but don't ignore the fact that the President actually didn't give a **** either. he was just more quiet about it.

Meanwhile, a spokesman for US President Barack Obama said he will not intervene in the Davis case, because it was "not appropriate" to become involved in specific state cases.

"Dating back to his time in the Illinois State Senate, President Obama has worked to ensure accuracy and fairness in the criminal justice system, especially in capital punishment cases," Press Secretary Jay Carney said ahead of the planned execution.

"However, it is not appropriate for the president of the United States to weigh in on specific cases like this one, which is a state prosecution."

Troy Davis executed as final plea fails | The Australian

Meanwhile, a spokesman for US President Barack Obama said he will not intervene in the Davis case, because it was "not appropriate" to become involved in specific state cases.

"Dating back to his time in the Illinois State Senate, President Obama has worked to ensure accuracy and fairness in the criminal justice system, especially in capital punishment cases," Press Secretary Jay Carney said ahead of the planned execution.

"However, it is not appropriate for the president of the United States to weigh in on specific cases like this one, which is a state prosecution."

That's actually probably quite proper. Usually the federal government tries to avoid intervening directly in state issues. Only when something conflicts with the US constitution does the federal government, including the Supreme Court, get involved.

That's actually probably quite proper. Usually the federal government tries to avoid intervening directly in state issues. Only when something conflicts with the US constitution does the federal government, including the Supreme Court, get involved.

Never mind he's said he supports the death penalty.

And you want us to wait until we're sure we've murdered an innocent person before we do something about it?

There are plenty of situations in which the law recognizing that killing another person can be perfectly fine. But it is absurd to kill someone who is already in jail and unable to harm society.
But not in a womb...there they represent all kinds of threats...to...I dont know...freedom, party lifestyle, that whole devil may care life of no responsibility...

A couple lessons to be learned about TX, first don't commit murder in this state and second, 15 years to determine guilt or innocent. TX hasn't executed an innocent person and anyone who cannot prove their innocence after the extensive appeal's process is guilty. Too bad the Victim didn't have 15 years more of life, isn't it?

The thread really isn't about the death penalty; it's about the Republican debate audiences clearly relishing it, cheering the killing of 234 people by the state; affirming that the state should, "Let 'em die" if an uninsured person should ever need intensive care; booing a governor acting to protect women from preventable life threatening disease; and, now the latest outrage: booing an American soldier serving in Iraq. To me, these G.O.P. audiences are contemptible; I am ashamed to call them fellow Americans:

Back
Top Bottom