• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Republican Gov. John Kasich to speak at DNC

swing_voter

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
The first night of Democrats’ national convention features a lineup of several former Republican officials who are backing former Vice President Joe Biden over President Donald Trump.

Officials announced that former Ohio Gov. John Kasich will be making remarks, along with former New York Rep. Susan Molinari and former New Jersey Gov. Christine Whitman.

Also slated for Monday night is Meg Whitman, the former CEO of Hewlett Packard. Whitman was a senior member of Republican Mitt Romney’s presidential bids but backed Democrat Hillary Clinton in 2016.

Kasich was one of the last contenders in the 2016 GOP primary and has been a fierce critic of Trump.

Several Republicans to speak at Democratic National Convention

Gee, what do you do when your fellow republicans are voting against you?

Wonder if that is Kasich's "surprise" Republican going for Biden that someone posted about earlier. And how much is that going to move the needle?? Not sure Carly can help too much.

I will not, for the life of me, understand why the Democrats are giving a platform to that asshole.

I will not, for the life of me, understand why the Democrats are giving a platform to that asshole.
There is a large segment of the Republican party looking for "permission" to vote for Biden. He appeals to them and will give them cover to do so.

Lets not get carried away. Remember Democrats for McCain? Every election there will be some malcontents with the party choice on both sides. But I am delighted to give Never trumpers a voice at our convention, and maybe some representation here and there in the Biden Administration as tokens of our willingness to listen to their ideas and compromise , as long as they aren't getting anything much from the platform committees. We are a left-center party and I want us to stay a left center party.

The platform reflects our aspirations, our guiding star of political values and we should not be compromising much in those directions.

Last edited:
There is a large segment of the Republican party looking for "permission" to vote for Biden. He appeals to them and will give them cover to do so.

The Democrats need to embrace the progressive left, the faction of the party that is winning electorally and has momentum behind them, and not embrace Republicans and become an even farther conservative party.

The Democrats need to embrace the progressive left, the faction of the party that is winning electorally and has momentum behind them, and not embrace Republicans and become an even farther conservative party.
I don't disagree, but this is a convention. It's about defeating Trump and Trumpism. Once in office, tack left.

I also believe the energy and future of the Democratic party is on the left. AOC deserves a significant platform, in my opinion. But she does more in 60 seconds than most pols can achieve in an hour.

Add former presidential candidate Carly Fiorina to the list of republicans supporting Joe Biden.

Good for her considering the way Trump treated her during their primaries.

If Ted Cruz could only find those raisinets he has for balls he would also vote against the man who made fun of his wife's looks.

It depends on what we are embracing about them. We absolutely have to embrace them as patriots, people of integrity and as people with ideas, and passions that are worthy of a certain respect. We will not get bills through the Congress if we can't build those bridges with moderate republicans which have been burned down in this toxic partisan environment. But we cannot forget that what we want to accomplish will sometimes be at cross purposes with these same people. Sometimes its going to take a progressive- liberal center coalition to make stuff happen. Sometimes we may have to tick off some progressives and build a slightly different centrist coalition to make stuff happen. I just don't want to build a center right coalition because then I just won't like the stuff that happens.

Good for her considering the way Trump treated her during their primaries.

If Ted Cruz could only find those raisinets he has for balls he would also vote against the man who made fun of his wife's looks.
They're in a jar on his desk.tedcruz_hdv.jpg Oh wait. They appear to have been replaced by hand sanitizer. I think Trump is holding them for safekeeping.

Tantrum throwing bad losers are the most disgusting pathetic people on earth: Romney, Kasich, Romney, Clinton, McCain, Graham etc.

All Kasich has done is confirmed how correct Republicans were not to nominate him. Losers should accept lose gracefully, not become tantrum throwing backstabbers betraying everyone who did vote for them. Name anything conservative or Republican about Kasich now? There is nothing. He supports defunding police, open borders, free healthcare for everyone in the world paid for by Americans... the list is endless.

Kasich and other "Republicans" get to give a speech. AOC gets 1 minute. What does that tell you?

Hilary Clinton being rammed down Democratic primary voter's throats doesn't hold a candle to the forcing of Biden on Democrats. Did DNC leadership ask "who is the oldest white guy who has lost the most presidential campaigns?" to make their choice?

This thread is in the wrong section and completely unnecessary. The word "governor" means absolutely nothing right now.

I picked John Kasich over Trump back in 2016.

Everyone wanted to elect an outsider, someone who wasn't a politician or lawyer, so Trump won.

You reap what you sew, and we sewed a turd.

We have just received this note fresh from the grammar police headquarters:

Sew: to work with a needle and thread or with a sewing machine.

Sow: to plant seed for: to sow a crop.

Sow: an adult female swine.

I think we need some smiley face emoticon thingies on this forum ....

Last edited:
.... He supports defunding police, open borders, free healthcare for everyone in the world paid for by Americans... the list is endless.

If President Trump would make Mexico pay for the border wall like he promised and make all NATO countries pay their fair share like he promised, that would be a good start towards funding healthcare for us. Meanwhile, here's a list of everyone for whose healthcare Americans will NOT have to pay because they already have a universal (or national, if you prefer) healthcare system. Cheers!

Australia
Austria
Bahrain
Belgium
Brunei
Canada (Canadian Health Care System)
Cyprus
Denmark
Finland
France (French Healthcare System)
Germany (German Healthcare System – GKV)
Greece
Hong Kong
Iceland
Ireland (Healthcare System in Ireland)
Israel
Italy (Healthcare System in Italy)
Japan (Japanese Healthcare System)
Kuwait
Luxembourg
Netherlands
New Zealand (New Zealand’s Healthcare System)
Norway
Portugal (Healthcare System in Portugal)
Singapore
Slovenia
South Korea
Spain (Healthcare System in Spain)
Sweden (Sweden’s Healthcare System)
Switzerland
United Arab Emirates
United Kingdom (Healthcare System in the UK)

Unless they prefer to come to the USA for whatever reason. Otherwise, your point is that we will only be responsible for for the healthcare at our expense for 6 billion people rather than 7 billion, correct? Free healthcare for everyone in India, China, Pakistan, African, South America and most of the Middle East.

The reason you claim I have to work to pay for heart surgery and every other medical treatment for anyone and everyone is India, China, Pakistan, Africa, South America, Mexico, and otherwise most of the world is _________________________________________.

Fill in the blank.

Last edited:

Democrats invited quite a few Republicans to speak at the DNC. They want to show that they will listen and give a voice to those on the right as a message that democrats are looking to reunite the country. Not further the divide.

" .... AOC deserves a significant platform, in my opinion .... "

AOC also makes display monitors for computer gaming. Take their 32-inch R1500 curved model with 1ms response time, for example. Now, that's definitely a significant platform. :D

The democrats need to win the election.

Kasich and other "Republicans" get to give a speech. AOC gets 1 minute. What does that tell you?

Hilary Clinton being rammed down Democratic primary voter's throats doesn't hold a candle to the forcing of Biden on Democrats. Did DNC leadership ask "who is the oldest white guy who has lost the most presidential campaigns?" to make their choice?

Why would a republican complain about dems nominating a white guy? :confused:

Back
Top Bottom