• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Debtlock: How Will More Evictions & Homelessness Make America Greater?

Are you presuming to try to get us to believe that every program that is in place was fully funded at its inception? Since we all know that isn't the case, yes, it IS part of the existing federal debt. Every ****ing year. At the moment the next payment becomes due for whatever program you want to come up with that wasn't fully funded at the minute it came into being, it becomes part of the existing debt that we keep letting Washington kick down the road. And that happens on the part of both parties, so don't think I'm giving anyone a pass here.
I am disappointed in Democrats as well as Republicans during this whole debt ceiling threat. Why are Democrats not saying: "OK, you want to negotiate? Fine. We think there is a revenue problem. Let's talk about raising taxes on the rich. That's our position. Now let's negotiate."

Democrats won't do that because corruption is legal and both parties avoid alienating the rich.

That's dumb. We need to make corruption illegal. That has to come from the people. It will never come from the top down. We can't do it right away, but we have the power to make corruption illegal. It has to start at the bottom at the local level. We will do it. It is already in progress. We will pass the word around and people will see the solution is to pass the American Anti-Corruption Act or a resolution in support of it at every local city and county council. Once that is done in enough places it will become a national issue. Candidates need to be put on the spot. Go on record: Are they for or against corruption? We will force them to take a stand. They must answer that they are against it. So then we force them to back that up by passing the Act. Look at all the places which have already passed it:

• Princeton, New Jersey
  • Genoa, Illinois
  • Massachusetts State House District 2
  • Massachusetts State Senate District 19
  • Ewing Township, New Jersey
  • DeKalb County, Illinois
  • Winnebago County, Illinois
  • Roanoke, Virginia
  • South Brunswick, New Jersey
  • Leverett, Massachusetts
  • Lawrence Township, New Jersey
  • Cocoa, Florida
  • Southfield, Michigan
  • Boone County, Illinois
  • McHenry County, Illinois
  • Wilkes-Barre, Pennsylvania
  • Luzerne County, Pennsylvania
  • Pittston, Pennsylvania
  • Lexington, Massachusetts
  • Rockport, Massachusetts
  • Stephenson County, Illinois
  • Acton, Massachusetts
  • South Hadley, Massachusetts
  • Carrboro, North Carolina
  • Concord, Massachusetts
  • Whately, Massachusetts
  • Nahant, Massachusetts
  • Marblehead, Massachusetts
  • Stoneham, Massachusetts
  • Colrain, Massachusetts
  • Hadley, Massachusetts
  • Cummington, Massachusetts
  • Montague, Massachusetts
  • Plainfield, Massachusetts
  • Shutesbury, Massachusetts
  • Conway, Massachusetts
  • Andover, Massachusetts
  • Hatfield, Massachusetts
  • Longmeadow, Massachusetts
  • Amherst, Massachusetts
  • Swampscott, Massachusetts
  • Southampton, Massachusetts
  • North Andover, Massachusetts
  • Williamsburg, Massachusetts
  • Pleasant Ridge, Michigan
  • Burnsville, North Carolina
  • West Windsor, New Jersey
  • South Abington, Pennsylvania
  • Ferndale, Michigan
  • Yancey County, North Carolina
  • Cranbury Township, New Jersey
  • Cook County, Illinois
  • Erie City, Pennsylvania
  • Kingston Township, Pennsylvania
  • Foster Township, Pennsylvania
  • Tempe, Arizona
  • Northumberland County, Pennsylvania
  • Nescopeck Township, Pennsylvania
  • Sunderland, Massachusetts
  • Ohio
  • Sudbury, Massachusetts
  • Pelham, Massachusetts
  • DuPage County, Illinois
  • Bridgeport, Connecticut
  • Vinton, Virginia
  • Hopewell, New Jersey
  • Tallahassee, Florida

What ‘blue’ majority state or local government would permit that to happen? ;)
Red states take more poverty assistance money from the federal government than blue states.

The problem isn't the safety net programs as much as it is those who have turned the safety nets into hammocks.

We need safety net programs, but they are only meant for temporary usages.

Other than UI benefits, which “safety net” programs have defined time limits for stopping benefits?

This isn't about Christianity. It's about responsibility.

Why are people having sex, when there are very few way to insure a pregnancy isn't the result? Nobody should be having sex unless they are prepared for the possible results.

I have proposed this before, and I will do so again. If two people have a child, and they cannot afford to support the child at the time of conception, then in order to receive government assistance, both the father and mother get their tubes tied so it cannot happen again.
Forced sterilization of the poor.

Sounds pretty mean.

What do they do with the child?

Forced abortion?

Sounds pretty mean.

Medicaid?

Generally, many of these people are pretty close to disabled, some with severe health issues that make it difficult to hold steady employment.

How is making them work helping anything?

TANF? Mostly single moms with young kids. day care costs more than the work they can get.
How is making them work helping anything?

That use of “some” and ”mostly” is precisely the point, thus they are exempted from the work requirements.

Red states take more poverty assistance money from the federal government than blue states.

Yep, not turning down free federal money allows them to tax their residents less.

Forced sterilization of the poor.

Sounds pretty mean.

What do they do with the child?

Forced abortion?

Sounds pretty mean.
Nothing forced about it.

A person can turn down the means to get the help.

To add. Why should society pay for other people's lack of responsibility?

Serious. What is you excuse to enable such activity. Drastic consequences need to be in place to mitigate stupid careless people's actions.

If a person drinks, drives drunk, and kills someone. Are they allowed a free pass? Why should irresponsible breeders be given a free pass?

Nothing forced about it.

A person can turn down the means to get the help.
Sure.

Have an abortion, a tubal, and a vasectomy or starve.

That doesn't sound like the America I want to live in.

They always do. Bank bailouts, stocks plummeting, ponzi schemes--society always pays for other people's lack of responsibility. That's why we have laws and mores.
Serious. What is you excuse to enable such activity. Drastic consequences need to be in place to mitigate stupid careless people's actions.
Like bank bailouts, I suppose.
If a person drinks, drives drunk, and kills someone. Are they allowed a free pass? Why should irresponsible breeders be given a free pass?
Being poor isn't a crime.

Sounds like you think it should be though.

Sure.

Have an abortion, a tubal, and a vasectomy or starve.

That doesn't sound like the America I want to live in.
Then don't be irresponsible with the creation of life. Don't blame anyone but the careless breeders.

They always do. Bank bailouts, stocks plummeting, ponzi schemes--society always pays for other people's lack of responsibility. That's why we have laws and mores.
I am against bailouts and subsidies.
Being poor isn't a crime.
No, but expecting society to support you is unethical. To not take responsibility of ones actions is even more unethical.

Then don't be irresponsible with the creation of life. Don't blame anyone but the careless breeders.
I don't call human beings breeders, to start with.

Maybe your solution should just ban heterosexuals completely, same-sex couples only.

I don't call human beings breeders, to start with.

Maybe your solution should just ban heterosexuals completely, same-sex couples only.
I will call them bredders when they cannot be responsible.

I am against bailouts and subsidies.

No, but expecting society to support you is unethical. To not take responsibility of ones actions is even more unethical.
Anyone doing the work of getting back on their feet--applying for assistance and meeting all the hoopla one has to meet to get that assistance....

Is taking responsibility.

Then you'll always fail to come up with a workable solution.
Believe as you wish. We need to stop enabling irresponsibility.

What is your proposal to do that?

Liberals seen to want endless handouts so they can tell people to do and be how ever they want. This has to stop.

They pay a contracted wage.

What demand is taking all the homeless to one place?

They are going where its cheap. The increase
They pay a contracted wage, based upon the skills you have to offer. Hint: This does not include simply being alive or breathing.

What demand is taking all the homeless to one place?

That these locations are cheaper to live in. How is that not apparent? And I never said one place. I'm saying that for each place that is cheaper than where a new inhabitant came from, there is going to be higher demand for housing and jobs, which is going to lower wages and raise housing costs.

As you said, it's cheaper to live in small town Texas than in SF. If a person can scrape together the means to move, it wouldn't make much sense to move from SF to, say, Colorado Springs. The cost of living is pretty similar. So they will go to these lower cost places, which will eventually be less lower cost.

Interesting point here. You speak of irresponsibility above, but I have a question for you. Earlier in the thread, you brought up people who lost property because people couldn't pay the rent. The question is this....how responsible was it to purchase a property that you needed someone else to pay for?

Nobody is suggesting not paying the existing national debt obligations.
Then they should be authorized to be paid, not threatened to go unpaid if somebody doesn't get their way.

Every penny of our current debt has already been voted on and spent.

Nope, the current debt ceiling ’limit’ (voted on and passed into law) is $31.4T, yet the national debt has (automagically?) exceeded that ’limited’ amount in (late) January 2023 and is now over $400B higher (and still rising).

Back
Top Bottom