• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Déjà Vu

Cold Highway

Dispenser of Negativity
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Newburgh, New York and World 8: Dark Land
Political Leaning
Libertarian
I remember all too well in 1994 when the Republicans regained control of not only the House, but the Senate as well. I remember sitting in my car and anxiously listening to Rush Limbaugh’s first radio show after the election. I remember speaking with my Republican congressman at the time on a local call-in radio talk show. I asked him when the new Republican-controlled Congress would begin repealing some of the legislation passed during the first two years of Clinton’s reign. The congressman told me he would have to stand in line to introduce such legislation because of everything the Republicans had planned.

Republicans managed to stay in power throughout the rest of Clinton’s presidency. But what did we get for it? Did Republicans repeal the Family and Medical Leave Act? Did they eliminate foreign aid? Did they repeal the Brady Handgun Violence Prevention Act? Did they lower overall federal spending? Did they repeal the Motor Voter Act? Did they eliminate any substantial business regulations? Did they repeal the Violence Against Women Act? Did they cut Social Security and Medicare? Did they repeal the Earned Income Credit? Did they eliminate any federal agencies or programs? Did they repeal any significant pieces of legislation passed during any previous administration? Did they shrink the U.S. empire?

Oh, Republicans made promises. They issued the "Contract with America." They talked about reducing government. They preached the gospel of free markets. They used libertarian rhetoric. But then they did nothing to meaningfully reduce the size and scope of government.

Until something actually is done, which I believe will not. I will continue to be extremely cynical on last weeks results. Action talks BS walks and Im willing to put money down for those who get pissed at my negative views.

Republican Déjà Vu by Laurence M. Vance

Until something actually is done, which I believe will not. I will continue to be extremely cynical on last weeks results. Action talks BS walks and Im willing to put money down for those who get pissed at my negative views.

I choose to be a bit more optimistic. We didn't have the Tea Party before to hold their feet to the fire.

Will it be enough for you to see at least cursory attempts at legislation of these things right now?

j-mac

Will it be enough for you to see at least cursory attempts at legislation of these things right now?

j-mac

Why would it? That would be show. To really accomplish something, they would have to work with the other side. As it is, doing nothing is what is most likely. Anyone can say anything when they know it won't fly. Makes cowards brave when they know the talk won't lead to consequences.

Why would it? That would be show. To really accomplish something, they would have to work with the other side. As it is, doing nothing is what is most likely. Anyone can say anything when they know it won't fly. Makes cowards brave when they know the talk won't lead to consequences.

If accomplishing something means more progressive agendas, better to do nothing. Just because Pelosi/Obama think they got their butts kicked because they didn't do enough, doesn't make it so.
The Rep. need to try to undo some of the damage that has been done. Hopefully some of the Dems will work with them.

Why would it? That would be show.

And what exactly would house repubs embrace from the platform that got them elected that a liberal like yourself could embrace?

To really accomplish something, they would have to work with the other side.

On what? And how's that to play out in your mind?

As it is, doing nothing is what is most likely.

And that is ok with you?

Anyone can say anything when they know it won't fly.

Won't fly with whom? Those who are doing the electing IOW, the people? Or those politicians that feel entitled to their seats in DC?

Makes cowards brave when they know the talk won't lead to consequences.

Whole bunch of consequences just took place? Didn't you see it? Ask Alan Grayson of FL, I am sure he can tell you about it....

j-mac

I choose to be a bit more optimistic. We didn't have the Tea Party before to hold their feet to the fire.
I suspect that the tea party movement is more likely to be pwned by the GOP than the GOP is to be taken to task by the Tea Party.

Last edited:
And what exactly would house repubs embrace from the platform that got them elected that a liberal like yourself could embrace?

This implies they know what got them elected. Disatification isn't really a mandate. Exit polling as I understand it showe they wanted congress to work to solve problems. Some 1/3 wanted government to spend less and another 1/3 wanted government to spend more. Almost the same numbers with health care. If these are the numbers, what do you think will get them reelected?

On what? And how's that to play out in your mind?

Not my mind I'd worry about if I were them. Disatification is hard to control.

And that is ok with you?

Doesn't matter if it is OK with me. As I said, dissatifaction is hard to control.

Won't fly with whom? Those who are doing the electing IOW, the people? Or those politicians that feel entitled to their seats in DC?

Did you read for comprehension here? If I know it won't pass, won't be impliment, then I can really run my mouth. Ever notice that a republican congress with a republican president, and a fairly conservative court never made any changes in abortion law? It's just an example. Running of the mouth is easy. And if I know something I propose won't happen, I can be damned bold. Different if it might actually happen.

Whole bunch of consequences just took place? Didn't you see it? Ask Alan Grayson of FL, I am sure he can tell you about it....

j-mac

Yes, they did. But you may have guessed wrong as to why, and about what happens next. :coffeepap

If accomplishing something means more progressive agendas, better to do nothing. Just because Pelosi/Obama think they got their butts kicked because they didn't do enough, doesn't make it so.
The Rep. need to try to undo some of the damage that has been done. Hopefully some of the Dems will work with them.

That may well be your opinion. But, looking at the exit data, they may be worried about more than your opinion. ;) :coffeepap

j-mac

NO it will NOT! Only in government such weak excuses work, if I presented cursory attempts in my field of work I would be terminated right on the spot and replaced in the same damm day.

It's easy to complain about the Republicans when you have nothing to offer in their place, and even if you did it wouldn't have a prayer in hell of ever taking power. Why don't you stop bitching about the Republicans...or just join the Dems. There IS nothing else, get over it. Your Libertarian party will NEVER EVER EVER EVER gain power.

It's easy to complain about the Republicans when you have nothing to offer in their place, and even if you did it wouldn't have a prayer in hell of ever taking power. Why don't you stop bitching about the Republicans...or just join the Dems. There IS nothing else, get over it. Your Libertarian party will NEVER EVER EVER EVER gain power.

Once again your punk ass offers nothing to the discussion go troll another thread.

Back
Top Bottom