• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican-controlled states target college students’ voting power ahead of high-stakes 2024 elections

j brown's body

"A Soros-backed animal"
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
"Among young voters grows, new proposals that change photo ID requirements or impose other limits have emerged.

Laws enacted in Idaho this year, for instance, prohibit the use of student IDs to register to vote or cast ballots. A new law in Ohio, in effect for the first time in Tuesday’s primary elections, requires voters to present government-authorized photo ID at the polls, but student IDs are not included. Identification issued by universities has not traditionally been accepted to vote in the Buckeye State, but the new law eliminates the use of utility bills, bank statements and other documents that students have used before. A proposal in Texas would eliminate all campus polling places in the state. Meanwhile, officials in Montana – where Democrat Jon Tester is seeking a fourth term in one of 2024’s highest-profile Senate contests – have appealed a court decision striking down additional document requirements for those using student IDs to vote.
And voting rights advocates say a longstanding statute in Georgia, which bars the use of student IDs from private universities, has made it more difficult for students at several schools – including Spelman and Morehouse, storied HBCUs in Atlanta – to participate in Georgia’s competitive US Senate and presidential elections."

“Republican legislatures … are pretty transparently trying to keep left-leaning groups from voting,” said Charlotte Hill, interim director of the Democracy Policy Initiative at UC-Berkeley’s Goldman School of Public Policy. Rather than trying to sway young voters, lawmakers seem willing “to shrink the eligible electorate,” she added. ...The efforts to clamp down on student IDs and campus voting come against a backdrop of gains for Democrats among this demographic group. Exit polls analyzed by the Brookings Institution found that people ages 18 to 29 – especially young women – made a pronounced shift toward Democrats in last year’s midterm elections, helping to blunt an expected “red wave” for Republicans."

Link

This was never an issue until the Democrats made gains among the young.

"Among young voters grows, new proposals that change photo ID requirements or impose other limits have emerged.

Laws enacted in Idaho this year, for instance, prohibit the use of student IDs to register to vote or cast ballots. A new law in Ohio, in effect for the first time in Tuesday’s primary elections, requires voters to present government-authorized photo ID at the polls, but student IDs are not included. Identification issued by universities has not traditionally been accepted to vote in the Buckeye State, but the new law eliminates the use of utility bills, bank statements and other documents that students have used before. A proposal in Texas would eliminate all campus polling places in the state. Meanwhile, officials in Montana – where Democrat Jon Tester is seeking a fourth term in one of 2024’s highest-profile Senate contests – have appealed a court decision striking down additional document requirements for those using student IDs to vote.
And voting rights advocates say a longstanding statute in Georgia, which bars the use of student IDs from private universities, has made it more difficult for students at several schools – including Spelman and Morehouse, storied HBCUs in Atlanta – to participate in Georgia’s competitive US Senate and presidential elections."

“Republican legislatures … are pretty transparently trying to keep left-leaning groups from voting,” said Charlotte Hill, interim director of the Democracy Policy Initiative at UC-Berkeley’s Goldman School of Public Policy. Rather than trying to sway young voters, lawmakers seem willing “to shrink the eligible electorate,” she added. ...The efforts to clamp down on student IDs and campus voting come against a backdrop of gains for Democrats among this demographic group. Exit polls analyzed by the Brookings Institution found that people ages 18 to 29 – especially young women – made a pronounced shift toward Democrats in last year’s midterm elections, helping to blunt an expected “red wave” for Republicans."

Link

What does the law in these states actually say? That's the key, the law. Just like immigration, the Biden administration is ignoring the law. Democrats have long thought the answer to things they don't like but don't have the votes to change is, ignore it, protest it, burn it down, kill it, throw money at it. No solutions. Immigration could have been dealt with in the Obama first term, total control with an filibuster proof Senate, but they didn't do it. Then again with Biden, they didn't even submit a bill to Congress to change immigration law in the first two year. Then they blame someone else. BS

Link

#1 I don't have a problem with Student ID's not being valid to register to vote as student ID's are no indication of citizenship (either by birth or naturalization).

#2 I don't have a problem with polling centers being on a college campus with the provision that enough parking is made available to the public at the voting site. (My wife works at a University and parking is a pain in the ass during student semesters.)

#3 Now the part that will piss people off.

I don't support students who have not met registration requirements being allowed to register to vote in the campus down. School dorms are transient housing, college students living in the dorm should be voting via postal ballot based on their permanent address. If a college student lives off campus and has a rental lease, have at it, you meet residency requirements.

The counter to that is then I have no problem with campus voter registration drives, having an office or staff for assisting with voting properly in the location of the voter registration.

(Yes I know that this isn't the way it is, this is my opinion of what should be. If I can vote absentee in the military over 20 years traveling the country and around the world, college students can vote where their permanent address actually is.)

WW

Last edited:
Some want to raise the voting age to 21. That simply delays the inevitable. Unless they think they can seize power by then, in another coup.

They cannot. They are simply terrified that the college-aged students are not going to vote for their corrupt assess and they are correct.

Typical reich-wing voter suppression.

#1 I don't have a problem with Student ID's not being valid to register to vote as student ID's are no indication of citizenship (either by birth or naturalization).

#2 I don't have a problem with polling centers being on a college campus with the provision that enough parking is made available to the public at the voting site. (My wife works at a University and parking is a pain in the ass during student semesters.)

I don't support students who have not met registration requirements being allowed to register to vote in the campus down. School dorms are transient housing, college students living in the dorm should be voting via postal ballot based on their permanent address. If a college student lives off campus and has a rental lease, have at it, you meet residency requirements.

The counter to that is then I have no problem with campus voter registration drives, having an office or staff for assisting with voting properly in the location of the voter registration.

(Yes I know that this isn't the way it is, this is my opinion of what should be. If I can vote absentee in the military over 20 years traveling the country and around the world, college students can vote where their permanent address actually is.)

WW
The voting push by democrats is only because they received the bulk of that voting blocks vote last election. Mail in ballots are already available and that ought to take care of the issue. There are too many ways the registering and polling can be abused on campus. If you use college campuses as a standard then shouldn't we have polling places in the automobile plants in Michigan?
In the past several decades many improvements have been made in voting but you would think we had moved backwards according to democrats.

Link

I should just let them have their way with you, then you'd learn, but then I might not survive, so,... just what do these bastards think they're doing?

What does the law in these states actually say? That's the key, the law. Just like immigration, the Biden administration is ignoring the law. Democrats have long thought the answer to things they don't like but don't have the votes to change is, ignore it, protest it, burn it down, kill it, throw money at it. No solutions. Immigration could have been dealt with in the Obama first term, total control with an filibuster proof Senate, but they didn't do it. Then again with Biden, they didn't even submit a bill to Congress to change immigration law in the first two year. Then they blame someone else. BS

Are you sure you're on the right thread?

The voting push by democrats is only because they received the bulk of that voting blocks vote last election. Mail in ballots are already available and that ought to take care of the issue. There are too many ways the registering and polling can be abused on campus. If you use college campuses as a standard then shouldn't we have polling places in the automobile plants in Michigan?
In the past several decades many improvements have been made in voting but you would think we had moved backwards according to democrats.

Can you cite a source concerning this abuse on campus?

WW

The point is that all these things were fine until the power structure discovered they were losing their support. That's just straight up corruption.

Link

So, it was never about just showing a photo ID to con-firm who was voting.....it's about con-trolling who votes by picking and choosing what kind of photo ID to accept.

I believe the college campuses in question are State Universities which are a government entity. Automobile plants in Michigan are not.

WW

The point is that all these things were fine until the power structure discovered they were losing their support. That's just straight up corruption.

The GOP knows that they are in trouble with more people voting as the younger demographics (in general) lean away from them.

If you can't win based on compelling policies, try to restrict the vote and or gerrymander the districts.

WW

They're hoping the lack of transportation and dorm housing aids them in preventing our youths right to cast a ballot. Don't worry, Dems will help them avoid your noose.

It's part of the rights anti woke campaign. They hope to whittle it down to white men between the ages of 45 to death. That's their sweet spot majority.

I'll tell ya, if it weren't for Republicans this country would be a happy flourishing democracy. I don't think Americans will be putting up with this blatant bizarre shit for much longer.

And the damned GOP will keep moving the goal posts, because they can't possibly win any other way!

One of these days they're going to realize that making voting harder for any group of voters is not a deterrent, it's an incentive.

It's what happens when you back someone in a corner, they come out kicking and screaming.

Democrats are getting the push out because they want to unseat the insane GQP traitors that have taken office in many places.

Colleges offer the space necessary for a polling location, as well as good security. The also have the parking space needed for such an endeavor. The whole "abuse" idea was created by republicans as a way to justify unlawfully closing polling places that attract voters who do not vote for them.

The abuse comes in shutting down polling places in an effort to make certain that people are not able to vote the GQP loons out of office.

Last edited:
Democrats are getting the push out because they want to unseat the insane GQP traitors that have taken office in many places.

Colleges offer the space necessary for a polling location, as well as good security. The whole "abuse" idea was created by republicans as a way to justify unlawfully closing polling places that attract voters who do not vote for them.

The abuse comes in shutting down polling places in an effort to make certain that people are not able to vote the GQP loons out of office.

For some "Abuse" = "More DEMs voting".

I mean let's be honest.

WW

That is true and it is happening because they know if more Democrats vote, they and their loon buddies are out of office.

Hence the push for control of State legislatures.

Even if more DEMs vote, with gerrymandering that vote can be diluted so that they remain out of power.

Hard to do with Governor's and Senators, but for State Legislature and House Representatives it's a proven tactic.

[Yes, I'm against State Legislatures drawing district lines. It should be done by a non-political commission that looks at population density, natural boundaries, government boundaries [town, city, county, etc.] to draw districts that are logical and efficient. Let the "power" then be what it is.]

WW

Back
Top Bottom