• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republican Attorney General (South Dakota) kills man with his car. Tells police it was a deer.

CaughtInThe

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
SD AG Ravnsborg Reported Hitting Deer, Killed Pedestrian, Investigators Say - Bloomberg

He's under investigation. It appears he thought hit a "deer", called the cops and told them he hit a deer (I guess without stopping) and then he returned to the scene the next morning.

Anyway...

"The state's top law enforcement officer said he initially thought he hit a deer while driving home from a Republican fundraiser on Saturday night. He is under investigation by the South Dakota Highway Patrol."

Here's the man who was killed...

beover2_censored.jpg

Didn't stop? He can rot in hell.

Christianity and "Personal Responsibility" on display.

"At the 2020 Republican State Convention, Ravnsborg was elected to be one of South Dakota's three Republican presidential electors along with Governor Kristi Noem and Lieutenant Governor Larry Rhoden."

hit something with your car and continue driving

decide the next morning to return to examine what it was you hit

seems responsible [/s]

Cannot access the article, was the driver given a blood test?

seems responsible [/s]

if you were drunk at the time.....

SD AG Ravnsborg Reported Hitting Deer, Killed Pedestrian, Investigators Say - Bloomberg

He's under investigation. It appears he thought hit a "deer", called the cops and told them he hit a deer (I guess without stopping) and then he returned to the scene the next morning.

Anyway...

"The state's top law enforcement officer said he initially thought he hit a deer while driving home from a Republican fundraiser on Saturday night. He is under investigation by the South Dakota Highway Patrol."

Here's the man who was killed...

beover2_censored.jpg

Do you have to call the police if you hit a deer in South Dakota?

Do you have to call the police if you hit a deer in South Dakota?

he is the top lawyer in South Dakota so i'm sure he knows the laws very well. including if it's smart or not (from his own personal perspective) to leave the scene and return the next morning.

seems responsible [/s]

Once the alcohol is out of your system....
I hit a deer once--it's clearly visible what you hit. The guy was drunk. Count on it.

I hit a deer once--it's clearly visible what you hit. The guy was drunk. Count on it.

I also hit a clearly visible deer once. It was night and it just ran across in front of my car. I didn't call the police, though. It seems to me that he didn't know for sure what it was that he hit.

I also hit a clearly visible deer once. It was night and it just ran across in front of my car. I didn't call the police, though. It seems to me that he didn't know for sure what it was that he hit.

sure he knew what he hit

a deer

no human would continue driving after hitting another human with their vehicle

especially not a senior law enforcement official

check again, that must be a deer's body which was found lying in the road

he was so worried about it that he continued driving home, only to return to check things out the next morning

not unlike teddy kennedy did checking on Mary Jo Kopechne the next morning after leaving her there to drown that night without his assistance

The little bugger that ran in front of me caused $4,000 worth of damage. It wasn't driveable because the battery had been jammed into the radiator and the left fender was bent into the tire. If you don't call the police, no insurance claim. How do people manage to hit a deer and just keep going? I guess it wasn't my (or the deer's) lucky day.

The little bugger that ran in front of me caused $4,000 worth of damage. It wasn't driveable because the battery had been jammed into the radiator and the left fender was bent into the tire. If you don't call the police, no insurance claim. How do people manage to hit a deer and just keep going? I guess it wasn't my (or the deer's) lucky day.

In my case the deers hindquarters hit my left headlight. It almost got clear of the car. I had hit the brakes, just not fast enough. It was night and raining to boot. I kept driving rather than stop in the middle of the road.

I have hit a dog befor and stopped half a mile away the accident to check on my car to make sure it wasnt broken somehow and driving on it was gonna make it worse, everything checked out, i drove back to the scene (to make sure the animal was dead) and found the dog dead and moved it off the road for other drivers sake.
I have also hit a deer and stopped later down the road to check on my car. Upon driving back to check on the animal to make sure it was dead, I couldnt find it. So I took off. I've never contacted the police. Now had my car been pretty banged up where i was going to call my insurance company then I would have contacted the police to make a police report cause ive herd thats good practice to make sure your insurance company fixes your vehicle. But i also wasnt going to search for the animal very long on a dark road, my charity for being humane only goes so far.
The only weird part of this story is returning to the scene the next day. I wouldnt have cared enough, its not like your doing it to stop the suffering of the animal. But maybe in state like South Dakota it was more about hey thats a free deer head and deer skin for my wall that im entitled to and may be worth a 30 min drive.

I have hit a dog befor and stopped half a mile away the accident to check on my car to make sure it wasnt broken somehow and driving on it was gonna make it worse, everything checked out, i drove back to the scene (to make sure the animal was dead) and found the dog dead and moved it off the road for other drivers sake.
I have also hit a deer and stopped later down the road to check on my car. Upon driving back to check on the animal to make sure it was dead, I couldnt find it. So I took off. I've never contacted the police. Now had my car been pretty banged up where i was going to call my insurance company then I would have contacted the police to make a police report cause ive herd thats good practice to make sure your insurance company fixes your vehicle. But i also wasnt going to search for the animal very long on a dark road, my charity for being humane only goes so far.
The only weird part of this story is returning to the scene the next day. I wouldnt have cared enough, its not like your doing it to stop the suffering of the animal. But maybe in state like South Dakota it was more about hey thats a free deer head and deer skin for my wall that im entitled to and may be worth a 30 min drive.

You killed someone's pet dog but didn't bother to tell anyone?

Christianity and "Personal Responsibility" on display.

Do you stop when you hit a deer late at night? Hmmm. Sounds like you just like to make critical judgements when you don't know any of the facts, the man didn't have to call the cops or go buy the next morning and stop. Tragic but not necessarily criminal.

I bet the folks burning out cities and looting stores thought they had just won a stop on Supermarket Sweep.

Yes, I doubt there is any other reason he would do as he did.

In my case the deers hindquarters hit my left headlight. It almost got clear of the car. I had hit the brakes, just not fast enough. It was night and raining to boot. I kept driving rather than stop in the middle of the road.

Yet you knew what you hit, as would anyone else that was not drunk as a skunk and if they did not know what they hit normally a person would stop to see what it was, that is unless you are trying to hide something.

Do you stop when you hit a deer late at night? Hmmm. Sounds like you just like to make critical judgements when you don't know any of the facts, the man didn't have to call the cops or go buy the next morning and stop. Tragic but not necessarily criminal.

I bet the folks burning out cities and looting stores thought they had just won a stop on Supermarket Sweep.

so, those looters excuse the actions of your right wing chief of law enforcement for the state, who hit a pedestrian with his car and drove away, failing to render aid and comfort which may have been needed by the now deceased

The one time I hit a deer my car was perfectly functional afterward. Shattered (but still functional) headlight and a divot in the hood that crimped downward and ripped out some deer fur, but nothing worse than that. Insurance covered the damage even though there was no police report. (The deer laid in the road for a few seconds, then bolted upright as I got out to inspect the damage and bounded off into a field, apparently little worse for the encounter.)

Also, isn't this at least the second high-ranking South Dakota state official to kill someone in their car in the last couple decades? Janklow-something? Former governor?

so, those looters excuse the actions of your right wing chief of law enforcement for the state, who hit a pedestrian with his car and drove away, failing to render aid and comfort which may have been needed by the now

Back in the 80's, a high profile attorney in Hartford did the exact same thing--except it was a child in a bad section of town. He didn't call the cops until the next day, said he feared for his life to stop. He eventually admitted to cocaine addiction and alcoholism, lost his license to practice, etc. The reason he didn't stop was because he was loaded that night.

Back
Top Bottom