• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Republic vs. Democracy

Mob rule was what we saw on Jan 6th

The mindless right say democracy is two wolves and a sheep deciding what to have for dinner
But in America, it takes a 2/3 majority.

My quote was this:

"I don't want one man, that being McConnell to block legislation by Senate Rules. He and the filibuster have become that road block."

My quote was this:

"I don't want one man, that being McConnell to block legislation by Senate Rules. He and the filibuster have become that road block."

I agree, the filibuster must be outlawed or at least made permanently against senate rules.

I agree, the filibuster must be outlawed or at least made permanently against senate rules.
There is no need to outlaw the filibuster, the rules should require the original filibuster, talk as long as they want, and when they stop, let the bill go forward for an up or down vote.

There is no need to outlaw the filibuster, the rules should require the original filibuster, talk as long as they want, and when they stop, let the bill go forward for an up or down vote.

That's outlawing the filibuster.

Do you have a time machine?

Because the USA's been a democracy since the Constitution was ratified.
NO IT'S NOT !
FYI: Democracies are subpar ! America is a Constitutional Republic. Our "FREEDOMS & LIBERTY" overlap Democratic Processess !
Please watch this Video to get a basic clue:

Our Government was designed to Protect "The People" from an Oppressive Government (Minimum Government), and to protect the Nation from the Populace ! A Democracy does neither

NO IT'S NOT !
FYI: Democracies are subpar ! America is a Constitutional Republic. Our "FREEDOMS & LIBERTY" overlap Democratic Processess !
Please watch this Video to get a basic clue:

Our Government was designed to Protect "The People" from an Oppressive Government (Minimum Government), and to protect the Nation from the Populace ! A Democracy does neither

If you allow senators to talk as long as they want, you're de facto allowing the filibuster.

You have to impose a time limit.

If you allow senators to talk as long as they want, you're de facto allowing the filibuster.

You have to impose a time limit.
Rich, they can impose a time limit by enacting Rule 22, but that takes time.

For the last few months, I've been on an American "conservative" forum but I came to the conclusion that it bore no resemblance to what I understand as "conservative. (I am a Canadian Progressive Conservative.) One point they made repeatedly was that the US is a Republic, not a Democracy.
I think most people believe they are one and the same in the context of the US.
What is the significance of the term "Republic" to conservative Americans?
Actually, you should be asking this question to all Americans, not just Conservative ones....our country is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy.

well we dont want mob rule. where the 51% can remove the rights of the 49%
British conservatives might disagree with you there, what with Brexit...

Actually, you should be asking this question to all Americans, not just Conservative ones....our country is a Constitutional Republic, not a democracy.

So many poster repeat this crap - perhaps it might focus your mind if you were to list two or three countries that you think ARE democracies ?

So many poster repeat this crap - perhaps it might focus your mind if you were to list two or three countries that you think ARE democracies ?
It doesn't matter how many countries I think are democracies. What I do know is that our country is 100% a Constitutional Republic. Our country is centralized around a Constitution...and that Constitution still stands since it was enacted. It is the SUPREME law of the land...so, if we were a democracy...simple majority votes from public could change whatever provision exists in the law and the Constitution would have no standing.

For the last few months, I've been on an American "conservative" forum but I came to the conclusion that it bore no resemblance to what I understand as "conservative. (I am a Canadian Progressive Conservative.) One point they made repeatedly was that the US is a Republic, not a Democracy.
I think most people believe they are one and the same in the context of the US.
What is the significance of the term "Republic" to conservative Americans?
The strange "We're a republic; not a democracy" statement that we've come to find so common now is a euphemism for white, conservative minoritarian rule.

It doesn't matter how many countries I think are democracies.

Yes it does
It shows that you know what a democracy is
Which I don't think you do

What I do know is that our country is 100% a Constitutional Republic.

It is

Our country is centralized around a Constitution...and that Constitution still stands since it was enacted. It is the SUPREME law of the land...so, if we were a democracy...simple majority votes from public could change whatever provision exists in the law and the Constitution would have no standing.

Actually the Constitution is not the supreme law of the land in all cases, treaties agreed by the US government take priority

You claim to know how a democracy works, but are unable to name one ?
Strange.

Yes it does
It shows that you know what a democracy is
Which I don't think you do

It is

Actually the Constitution is not the supreme law of the land in all cases, treaties agreed by the US government take priority

You claim to know how a democracy works, but are unable to name one ?
Strange.
No, the US Constitution is what takes priority over all laws in this country. All of our laws have to conform to that Constitution or they are not valid.

Democracy is simply majority rule. I am a liberal, but I will tell you this every day.....we are governed by the Constitution...that Constitution guarantees us rights and protected us from most recently a tyrant overthrowing our election and taking a seat as president.

No, the US Constitution is what takes priority over all laws in this country.

"The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution of the United States (Article VI, Clause 2), establishes that the Constitution, federal laws made pursuant to it, and treaties made under its authority, constitute the "supreme Law of the Land", and thus take priority over any conflicting state laws."

Democracy is simply majority rule. I am a liberal, but I will tell you this every day.....we are governed by the Constitution...that Constitution guarantees us rights and protected us from most recently a tyrant overthrowing our election and taking a seat as president.

So, if you hold this simplistic belief, why can't you name a single democracy on Earth ?

"The Supremacy Clause of the Constitution of the United States (Article VI, Clause 2), establishes that the Constitution, federal laws made pursuant to it, and treaties made under its authority, constitute the "supreme Law of the Land", and thus take priority over any conflicting state laws."

So, if you hold this simplistic belief, why can't you name a single democracy on Earth ?
and the Supreme court also ruled that international treaties are not binding in the US...that the Constitution is what is binding.

and the Supreme court also ruled that international treaties are not binding in the US...that the Constitution is what is binding.

Er...yes they are

Still waiting for you to demonstrate your simplistic beliefs regarding democracy Vs republic by actually naming a democracy
Why is that so hard for you ?

Er...yes they are

Still waiting for you to demonstrate your simplistic beliefs regarding democracy Vs republic by actually naming a democracy
er no..

1) Treaties do not override the U.S. Constitution.2) Treaties cannot amend the Constitution. And last,

3) A treaty can be nullified by a statute passed by the U.S. Congress (or by a sovereign State or States if Congress refuses to do so), when the State deems a treaty the performance of a treaty is self-destructive. The law of self-preservation overrules the law of obligation in others. When you’ve read this thoroughly, hopefully, you will never again sit quietly by when someone — anyone — claims that treaties supercede the Constitution. Help to dispell this myth.

“This [Supreme] Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty.” – Reid v. Covert, October 1956, 354 U.S. 1, at pg 17.

er no..

1) Treaties do not override the U.S. Constitution.2) Treaties cannot amend the Constitution. And last,

3) A treaty can be nullified by a statute passed by the U.S. Congress (or by a sovereign State or States if Congress refuses to do so), when the State deems a treaty the performance of a treaty is self-destructive. The law of self-preservation overrules the law of obligation in others. When you’ve read this thoroughly, hopefully, you will never again sit quietly by when someone — anyone — claims that treaties supercede the Constitution. Help to dispell this myth.

“This [Supreme] Court has regularly and uniformly recognized the supremacy of the Constitution over a treaty.” – Reid v. Covert, October 1956, 354 U.S. 1, at pg 17.

I disagree, but whatever

I disagree, but whatever

you disagree with what? It is a US Supreme Court decision...there is nothing to disagree with.

you disagree with what? It is a US Supreme Court decision...there is nothing to disagree with.

That the Constitution is the sole source of legal supremacy - as pointed out to you

However this is a thread on democracy Vs republic

And you said the USA is a republic, not a democracy
To ensure you know what a democracy is, please can you name one that currently exists today ?

You keep dodging this question and I wonder why since you seem so sure that the USA isn't one.

Back
Top Bottom