• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Representative Malinowski and Wilson Introduce Bipartisan Legislation to Use Assets of Putin’s Cronies to Help Ukraine

Michael Cole

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Independent
I just learned of this today, though it's a month old. Didn't see anything on the forums.

March 3, 2022
Press Release

(Washington, DC) Today, Representatives Tom Malinowski (D-NJ) and Joe Wilson (R-SC) introduced a bipartisan bill to seize and repurpose assets from oligarchs whose wealth is linked to the corruption of Vladimir Putin’s repressive regime.

The legislation authorizes the administration to confiscate any property – including luxury villas, yachts, and airplanes – valued over $5 million from Russian oligarchs previously sanctioned by the U.S. government for their involvement in the Kremlin’s invasion and human rights violations in Ukraine. Any funds gained from asset sales must then be used to benefit the Ukrainian people, through the provision of military and humanitarian assistance, post-conflict reconstruction, and technology to ensure the free flow of information in Ukraine.

Full text of the bill can be found here...

Simply put, this law would allow us to not only block and freeze assets, but seize them, and redistribute them to Ukraine. Myself, where do I sign? I say stick it to 'em.

The right criticized Obama for returning assets to Iran, which were required by law. (I never criticize a president for obeying the law.) So, I would expect the right to support this bi-partisan effort.

The broader question is whether we should exercise this right against foreign nationals. I doubt anyone really disagrees with taking Putin and the oligarchs for all they're worth, if possible, but is this something we should be generally doing? I didn't like seeing that cash go back to the mullahs, but the law is there for a reason.

A targeted law such as this may seem to be a one-off, and I hope it is, but this is policy change and tactics can become commonplace over time. If anything, this may be a sign of a new cold war taking shape.

I just learned of this today, though it's a month old. Didn't see anything on the forums.

March 3, 2022
Press Release

(Washington, DC) Today, Representatives Tom Malinowski (D-NJ) and Joe Wilson (R-SC) introduced a bipartisan bill to seize and repurpose assets from oligarchs whose wealth is linked to the corruption of Vladimir Putin’s repressive regime.

The legislation authorizes the administration to confiscate any property – including luxury villas, yachts, and airplanes – valued over $5 million from Russian oligarchs previously sanctioned by the U.S. government for their involvement in the Kremlin’s invasion and human rights violations in Ukraine. Any funds gained from asset sales must then be used to benefit the Ukrainian people, through the provision of military and humanitarian assistance, post-conflict reconstruction, and technology to ensure the free flow of information in Ukraine.

Full text of the bill can be found here...

Simply put, this law would allow us to not only block and freeze assets, but seize them, and redistribute them to Ukraine. Myself, where do I sign? I say stick it to 'em.

The right criticized Obama for returning assets to Iran, which were required by law. (I never criticize a president for obeying the law.) So, I would expect the right to support this bi-partisan effort.

The broader question is whether we should exercise this right against foreign nationals. I doubt anyone really disagrees with taking Putin and the oligarchs for all they're worth, if possible, but is this something we should be generally doing? I didn't like seeing that cash go back to the mullahs, but the law is there for a reason.

A targeted law such as this may seem to be a one-off, and I hope it is, but this is policy change and tactics can become commonplace over time. If anything, this may be a sign of a new cold war taking shape.
While i totally support this, i think there are international laws that come into play here. I recall a Politico article(?) addressing this.

While i totally support this, i think there are international laws that come into play here. I recall a Politico article(?) addressing this.
Yeah, I wondered about that.

Thanks for replying. I gotta come up with better titles. Lol.

Back
Top Bottom