• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reporting Criminal Activity

Would you report criminal activity to the police?

• Total voters

Catz Part Deux

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
If you observed dangerous/suspicious criminal activity, would you call the cops?

Examples:

Neighbor beating his wife
Woman beating her child
Someone who appears to be a peeping tom, prowler, or burglar snooping around your neighbor's house
Gang activity in your neighborhood
Drug sales in your nieghborhood
Shots fired in your neighborhood
etc.

Yes, and then I would go give him a whatfor.

Woman beating her child
I wouldn't call the cops, I would call childcare services. After I went over and gave her a whatfor

Someone who appears to be a peeping tom, prowler, or burglar snooping around your neighbor's house
No. I would go confront them. Then I might call the police. Someone just appearing to be a prowler is just too iffy. Could be anyone. I would confront them first.

Depends on the activity

Absolutely not

Depends. Shots fired where I come from is no biggie. You can sit on porch and hear the neighbors doing some target practice. Or god forbid it's hunting season. I probably would not report shots fired. If it was close to me, like it sounded like it was coming from the townhouses near me, then I might.

If you observed dangerous/suspicious criminal activity, would you call the cops?

Examples:

Absolutely.

Woman beating her child

Yes, assuming its not a routine spanking.

Yes

Yes.

I would not call the police for the consumption of weed, but yes to any other drug as well. Yes for all sales as I would not want my neighborhood to go down hill.

etc.

Maybe. I live in an area where people do target practice in their back yard.

I answered the poll with a "yes". Just wanted to add that I wouldn't report the shots fired in the neighborhood because I live in the back 40. Shots around here are either because of hunting or target practice. But other than that yes I would call the cops.

I once called the cops because one of our local schools got busted into. Cops did their thing but what no one realized...or could even think of, was that the aholes that busted into the place also poured chemicals down the slide. A little girl was severaly chemically burned going down it the next day.

Honestly, no on all the above.

I just don't like to get involved in other peoples problems, even if it is them who break the law. I don't like attracting the police's attention on me even if it is as someone who is doing the "civil thing" and reporting it. It would take alot for me to phone the police and report something

Last edited:
I voted "other".

But really, I don't live/travel/work anywhere that I would be likely too see anything happen.

I suppose if I saw a blatant crime occur, I might.

But if it were a minor crime, I would be more likely to not recognize it as a crime at all, due to ignorance/whatever.

Absolutely.

Yes, assuming its not a routine spanking.

Yes

Yes.

I would not call the police for the consumption of weed, but yes to any other drug as well. Yes for all sales as I would not want my neighborhood to go down hill.

Maybe. I live in an area where people do target practice in their back yard.

agree with all the above

Examples:
Perhaps.

Yes.
Woman beating her child
Depends on the level of "beating" you mean. Due to the use of the word "beating", however, I would assume you mean something over and above a light punishment spanking (however much you or anyone may disagree, I believe there is evidence that such has an effect - but that's a whole other debate)
Perhaps, but I live in a relatively rural area, so I'm not that close to my neighbors houses.
No gangs that I know of in the area - Unless you count the interrelated Mennonite families all over the place(there’s about 5-10) - not sure which sect. But it would depend on the gang activity in question.
Drug sales in your neighborhood
Probably, but as I said, it's a relatively rural area, so they probably would be less likely to show up in that area - But yes, if I noticed such.
etc.
Probably not, as there are wooded areas all around, and it would likely just be a hunter (depending on the season, which I don't really pay attention to).

Woman beating her child
etc.

Yes to all.

I just don't like to get involved in other peoples problems, even if it is them who break the law. I don't like attracting the police's attention on me even if it is as someone who is doing the "civil thing" and reporting it. It would take alot for me to phone the police and report something

Wow.

Examples:

I beat my wife all the time. She can't play checkers for beans (kinda plagiarized from "No Time For Sergeants".

Woman beating her child

Depends. Spanking isn't beating. One has to be reasonable here.

I suppose, unless I dislike the neighbor. There is the consideration that I don't want people like that in my neighborhood at all, but if I said anything like that someone on this forum would call me a bigot and try ring a charge on their Race Card....

Why would I live in a neighborhood with gangsters? I'd be calling the movers. Then I'd call the cops.

Only to the extent that if drugs weren't illegal they'd be sold at the liquor store... I suppose, since it's currently criminal it would harm local property values to permit the activity to proceed unmolested.

But basicly most of what you're listing is something the cops should be doing in their spare time between rounding up invaders.

How do I know they're shots? Do I see the shooter or am I hearing badly timed jalopy?

More importantly, when I shoot the intruder in my home with a bow and the neighbors don't hear a thing, should I call the cops or should I make a trip up to the National Forest to dump a load?

It really really depends.

If I believe there is imminent danger, I will always move to action.

There is only one instance I ever called the police and it was a suspicious dude offering this thing (can't really describe it) to people and telling them to come closer and was being incredibly aggresive.

If you neighbourhood is a gang neighbourhood, chances are the cops know and they can't do **** all about it.

Shots fired. You better ****ing believe I'm callin the cops, but I if I can hear those shots from the 31st floor... there's others calling that's for sure.

Neighbour beating his wife... well. That's always a toughie to get involved in, but If I had seen sufficient proof, visually that it was happening, you better believe I'm telling the authorities about it.

Beating a child. ****, I'd find it difficult to not walk in their and beat the parent down myself. That **** ain't right. But there's a difference, I was spanked and I turned out ok... mostly :2razz:

All I have to say atm.

Yet you identify yourself as a liberal and support the busybodiest of busybody political parties.

Absolutely to all of the above, although as people have said, in areas where shooting outdoors is legal, or during hunting season where it's legal, then certainly not. Locally though, since it's not legal to do so, yes, I'd call for that too.

Yes to all of the above, except possibly drug sales. It would depend on who we're talking about. Gangbangers and such dealing on the corner, hell yes. Some redneck selling weed out of his garage, I don't care. My response is dictated by who is involved, since I have no problem with adults buying substances to injest in their own bodies. Gangbangers however bring a lot of extra baggage, some entrepenur with a minature greenhouse in his basement doesn't.

I have to agree with Mr. Clown on this one. For most of the examples yes, I would report such activity. If some middleschooler was selling weed in the neighborhood, I could really care less.

Hell no . I have a scanner and most of the calls are fellow rat bastards callin about peoples kids not bein in seat belts. NO to your police state good citizenship tattle tale society. I used to work with a guy who wanted full day kindergarten so the kids could get taught better ; because he said the parents wouldnt do it. See its that - The inability to just MIND YOUR OWN DAMN business thats got us in so much trouble.ANYWHO- Stop tellin on people and start relying on the good that men do not the damage that comes from being a Citizen suckmister.

Hell no . I have a scanner and most of the calls are fellow rat bastards callin about peoples kids not bein in seat belts. NO to your police state good citizenship tattle tale society. I used to work with a guy who wanted full day kindergarten so the kids could get taught better ; because he said the parents wouldnt do it. See its that - The inability to just MIND YOUR OWN DAMN business thats got us in so much trouble.ANYWHO- Stop tellin on people and start relying on the good that men do not the damage that comes from being a Citizen suckmister.

I'm glad you live in Indiana. It makes no difference to me that you wouldn't report these things. But it makes a big difference to me when you call people who are concerned for their neighborhoods Citizen Suckmisters. (Whatever those are.)

What "good that men do" shall I rely on when someone shoots me in front of your house, and you don't call the police? 'Cause you're mindin' your own damn business.

I'm glad you live in Indiana. It makes no difference to me that you wouldn't report these things. But it makes a big difference to me when you call people who are concerned for their neighborhoods Citizen Suckmisters. (Whatever those are.)

What "good that men do" shall I rely on when someone shoots me in front of your house, and you don't call the police? 'Cause you're mindin' your own damn business.
None - he probably was the one who shot you, for trespasin' on his freshly mown grass/or whatever. :mrgreen:

Sorry MaggieD But no Dice. Enough of using government to get you off the hook when the issue is accountability your good neihbor policy means you keep your hands clean and let the MAN handle it. Mine states- If someone bothers MaggieD she needs help in front of my house. I get called into action- its my good neighbor policy.( It should be yours also)
It has nothing to do with telling the state anything. It has to do more with showing you I care and am willing to get involved for your sake and that of the community and to send a message this is reasonable behavior for GOOD CITIZENS. I think I meant earlier= SUCKMYSTERS. I just made it up so I didnt mean MISTER . I do thank you for your post .

Absolutely.

Woman beating her child

Man or woman yes.

I would contact the neighbors and let them handle it.

Wouldn't waste my time.

Absolutely not. :peace

etc.

If they shot at my house I would call it in as an emergency, but there are people around where I live who practice in their back yard.

Sorry MaggieD But no Dice. Enough of using government to get you off the hook when the issue is accountability your good neihbor policy means you keep your hands clean and let the MAN handle it. Mine states- If someone bothers MaggieD she needs help in front of my house. I get called into action- its my good neighbor policy.( It should be yours also)
It has nothing to do with telling the state anything. It has to do more with showing you I care and am willing to get involved for your sake and that of the community and to send a message this is reasonable behavior for GOOD CITIZENS. I think I meant earlier= SUCKMYSTERS. I just made it up so I didnt mean MISTER . I do thank you for your post .

I'd always help my neighbor. I'd be first out the door. Right after (or while) calling 911. I don't leave it to the man, but I sure do respect they serve a fine purpose. I fully abide by the axiom of: "Remember, when seconds count, the coppers are only minutes away." Somehow, though, MaggieD -- even if she tears out onto her porch with her .38 -- even if she spikes her hair first -- doesn't strike fear into the average nutcase. ;-)

I have reported stuff in the past.
When things aren't infringing on me or endangering anybody else, I don't report them.

I'd report terrorists, or someone who's threatening others or me with a weapon, but I sure as Hell wouldn't report anything else. Those of you who'd report drug deals are sadists. I try to avoid the 5-0 at all costs; I don't like them, and likewise, I'm pretty certain.

Last edited:
I would like to thank MaggieD - When I voice my opinion I fully understand that others disagree and that they can be right even if they disagree. This spirit of debate is what keeps me involved in Debate Politics- sometimes we forget we are all in this together. I would like to take a moment and say thank you, TO THE WOMEN WHO POST ON HERE. I wont let my opinion be a wedge between me and other posters on Debate Politics. So thank you for your comments and all the work you do here, FOR US LADYS it does not go UN-NOTICED!

Back
Top Bottom