• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reporter: "Entire communities where they're vomiting blood" -- "Massive, massive disa

Should this be in mainstream media?

I didn't know where to put it. Mods feel free to put it where appropriate.

Moderator's Warning:
If you have a problem with where a thread is posted, just use the report post button and not turn the thread into a discussion of the thread itself.

I told those idiots not to eat at McDonald's, but they didn't listen.

Attacking the source? I thought you did not approve of doing that?

Though to be honest I do not see anything there like funding from vested interests or shonky back room deals like I see when I investigate some of the denialist backers.

I'm exposing a loon for what he is. This guy belongs down with the tinfoilers. He's a loon.

I'm exposing a loon for what he is. This guy belongs down with the tinfoilers. He's a loon.
How do know this guy is a loon or what he is reporting isn't true?

I understand that the dispersant is found in peoples pools which probably means it's coming down in the rain.

How do know this guy is a loon or what he is reporting isn't true?

I understand that the dispersant is found in peoples pools which probably means it's coming down in the rain.

A story this big, and we're getting it from... a youtube video from an obscure no name free lancer.

Yeah, I bet if you listen to Coast to Coast AM they might cover this story too...

Dahr Jamail is a pretty good writer; I've read a few of his books and keep up with his articles once in a while and they're usually well written and sourced. In this case I'd expect either the quote was taken out of context, Jamail was being polemical in order to further expose the severity of the situation, or both. When one says "entire communities vomiting blood" it doesn't mean that there's hundreds of people out in the streets constantly puking, as the image conjures; it just means that many people are sick, presumably from the effects of the dispersants (at least that is what Jamail is claiming here, I believe; I can't comment on the validity of that because I haven't looked into it.

This just means people are getting sick, which we already know.

UPDATED: BP oil spill Corexit dispersants suspected in widespread crop damage : Yobie Benjamin : City Brights
~snip
BP's favorite dispersant Corexit 9500 is being sprayed at the oil gusher on the ocean floor. Corexit is also being air sprayed across hundreds of miles of oil slicks all across the gulf. There have been widespread reports of oil cleanup crews reporting various injuries including respiratory distress, dizziness and headaches.

Corexit 9500 is a solvent originally developed by Exxon and now manufactured by the Nalco of Naperville, Illinois (who by the way just hired some expensive lobbyists). Corexit is is four times more toxic than oil (oil is toxic at 11 ppm (parts per million), Corexit 9500 at only 2.61ppm).

In a report written by Anita George-Ares and James R. Clark for Exxon Biomedical Sciences, Inc. titled "Acute Aquatic Toxicity of Three Corexit Products: An Overview" Corexit 9500 was found to be one of the most toxic dispersal agents ever developed.

COREXIT, SALT WATER AND OIL DO NOT MIX WELL TOGETHER

According to the Clark and George-Ares report, Corexit mixed with the higher gulf coast water temperatures becomes even more toxic.

I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to entertain the claim that Corexit could be considered hazardous to humans to some extent. I don't know why you're so adamant in your belief that it's absolutely clean and safe and that any other possibility is a conspiracy.

I mean come on, the Material Safety Data Sheet for Corexit 9527 (one of the two primary dispersants used by the BP response team - the other being Corexit 9500) says the following:

WARNING
Eye and skin irritant. Repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol may cause injury to red blood cells
(hemolysis), kidney or the liver. Harmful by inhalation, in contact with skin and if swallowed.
Do not get in eyes, on skin, on clothing. Do not take internally. Use with adequate ventilation. Wear suitable
protective clothing. Keep container tightly closed. Flush affected area with water. Keep away from heat. Keep
away from sources of ignition - No smoking

SKIN CONTACT :
Can cause moderate irritation. Harmful if absorbed through skin.

INGESTION :
May be harmful if swallowed. May cause liver and kidney effects and/or damage. There may be irritation to the
gastro-intestinal tract

INHALATION :
Harmful by inhalation. Repeated or prolonged exposure may irritate the respiratory tract.

SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE :
Acute :
Excessive exposure may cause central nervous system effects, nausea, vomiting, anesthetic or narcotic effects.
Chronic :
Repeated or excessive exposure to butoxyethanol may cause injury to red blood cells (hemolysis), kidney or the
liver.

AGGRAVATION OF EXISTING CONDITIONS :
Skin contact may aggravate an existing dermatitis condition.

HUMAN HEALTH HAZARDS - CHRONIC :
Contains ethylene glycol monobutyl ether (butoxyethanol). Prolonged and/or repeated exposure through inhalation
or extensive skin contact with EGBE may result in damage to the blood and kidneys.

Emphasis mine.

Last edited:
I don't think it's a conspiracy theory to entertain the claim that Corexit could be considered hazardous to humans to some extent. I don't know why you're so adamant in your belief that it's absolutely clean and safe and that any other possibility is a conspiracy.

I mean come on, the Material Safety Data Sheet for Corexist 9527 (one of the two primary dispersants used by the BP response team - the other being Corexit 9500) says the following:

Emphasis mine.

CHEMTRAILS!

Oh wait these are actual chemicals that are actually being put into the ocean.

I guess "LET'S INVESTIGATE THIS POSSIBILITY" isn't as catchy.

Here's the Material Safety Data Sheet for Corexit 9500:

SKIN CONTACT :
May cause irritation with prolonged contact.

INGESTION :
Not a likely route of exposure. Can cause chemical pneumonia if aspirated into lungs following ingestion.

INHALATION :
Repeated or prolonged exposure may irritate the respiratory tract.

SYMPTOMS OF EXPOSURE :
Acute :
A review of available data does not identify any symptoms from exposure not previously mentioned.
Chronic :
Frequent or prolonged contact with product may defat and dry the skin, leading to discomfort and dermatitis.

AGGRAVATION OF EXISTING CONDITIONS :
Skin contact may aggravate an existing dermatitis condition.

Chemical pneumonia can cause "cough producing blood, nausea or abdominal pain, chest pain, flu symptoms" and other symptoms.

Millions of barrels of Corexit were dumped and sprayed into the Gulf. That all settles in the water, contaminates the environment and washes up on shore. People living in the area are probably exposed to it on a regular basis and might even be ingesting it. So, again, I don't see anything ridiculous about saying the ingestion of hazardous chemicals would cause nausea, bloody vomiting or bloody stools.

Last edited:
The media blackout on the gulf is shameful. More of this information would be mainstream knowledge otherwise. What is happening there is a crime against humanity.

IS there an actual news story to this? Is there any factual basis for these claims? If so this is huge. And looking at how this thread is already starting to break down...how can anyone view this as a partisan problem?

Truthout is conspiracy theory garbage. If this is actually happening, it would certainly warrant coverage in a reputable publication. If it's not being covered elsewhere, I don't see how this is different from any other run of the mill lunacy.

I mean come on, the Material Safety Data Sheet for Corexit 9527 (one of the two primary dispersants used by the BP response team - the other being Corexit 9500) says the following:

Emphasis mine.

I'm not saying the chemical in question can be harmful. I'm laughing at the source, and his claims.

The media blackout on the gulf is shameful. More of this information would be mainstream knowledge otherwise. What is happening there is a crime against humanity.

and WE are the ones who are guilty of the crime....we demand the product, and we should accept the risks involved with having it.
Ever read the MSDS for gasoline and its many additives?

Back
Top Bottom