• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: U.S. Marriages are Down....way down

Gray_Fox_86

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Report: U.S. Marriages are Down...Way Down
By: Madison Gray (19 days ago)
Topics: Census, marriage, society, Young Adults
Wedding Cake Toppers

Photo via the Daily Wh.at

If you were thinking of tying the knot, jumping the broom, getting hitched, make her/him honest, or clubbing someone over the head, thanks to the sluggish economy of the past two years, you may well be one of the few making such plans.

Data reported by the Population Reference Bureau, a Washington-based research organization that comes up with global demographic stats, show that the number of American young adults, aged 25-34, have dropped a dramatic 10 percentage points between 2000 and 2009 from 55.1% to 44.9%, citing the U.S. Census Bureau's American Community Survey. Among the total population, aged 18 or older, marriage dropped from 57% in 2000 to 52% in 2009.

(More on TIME.com: See photos of love and marriage on prime-time TV.)

The numbers are the lowest since the Census Bureau began counting marriage a century ago and follows a trend in which the number of married adults was greater than 80% in the mid-60s, but dropped closer to 55% or less. The reason, the PRB says, are numerous, including a higher rate of divorce beginning in the 1970s, better education and workforce participation for women, and an increase in cohabitation. The data does show, however, that about 90% of adults will get married at some point in their lives.
comments
print
115Share
0diggsdigg
MORE

Add to my:
o del.icio.us
o Technorati
o reddit
o Google Bookmarks
o Mixx
o StumbleUpon
Blog this on:
o TypePad
o LiveJournal
o Blogger
o WordPress
o MySpace

Read Other Related Stories About This:

Read more: Report: U.S. Marriages are Down…Way Down - TIME NewsFeed

Report: U.S. Marriages are Down…Way Down - TIME NewsFeed

Yay!:peace

I am glad that people are changing. The bad part is that many will still get married young and then have children and then divorce. By the time they divorce they will be in their late 20s or early 30s. And the likelihood of them wanting a serious relationship might go down. So it would make sense of why marriages are going down but yet most people will have married at least one point in their life.

I would imagine there's an inverse correlation between college attendance rates and statistics of those who marry before 25. I bet religion is also inversely correlated with it.

I'm in the only part of the country where it's not only acceptable, but encouraged to just eek out a C- average in your revolving-door public schools, marry your high school sweetheart/prom date, and race to have children.

Back
Top Bottom