• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Trump will offer DACA/TPS deal for wall in today’s 4 PM address

and trump wont sign them and they do not have the votes to override a presidential veto.
you don't seem to understand how bills work.

again the dems do not have the power. they want the government open they are going to have to compromise.

They actually probably do but even if not have enough GOP votes that Trump would look bad vetoing them.

Hence why McConnell is blocking them.

History is not going to look kindly on McConnell for his behavior the last several years.

Six different polls in the past two weeks (including Rasmussen) all state the same....

Trumps approval rating is falling
Trumps disapproval rating is increasing
Americans blame Trump for the govt. shutdown
Americans do not want a wall
Americans do not want Trump to declare a national emergency
Americans want the government reopened

Trump painted himself into a political corner with no off-ramp and the fool then doubled down.

Donald J. Trump on 11 December 2018 said:
“I will take the mantle. I will be the one to shut it down.”

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/12/21/senate-trump-wall-1072331

The Senate earlier voted to advance a House-passed spending bill, if only to keep talks going between Republicans and Democrats over Trump’s demand for $5 billion in new money for his wall.

"The Senate has voted to proceed to the legislation before us in order to preserve maximum flexibility for productive conversations to continue between the White House and our Democratic colleagues. I hope Senate Democrats will work with the White House," said Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) on the floor following one of the longest votes in the chamber's history. McConnell was wearing a button on his suit reading "Cranky Coalition" as he made his announcement.

But Senate Minority Leader Chuck Schumer (D-N.Y.), a key player in the budget fight, countered that Trump was never going to get that much money — or any money — for his wall and floated several other plans to break the logjam. Those offers were quickly rejected by the White House.

there you go dems own the shut down. schumer filibustered any bill that would have been able to fund the government can keep it going.

A) that was a CR and CR's are not intended for new Appropriations. The GOP tried in a desperation last ditch effort to bootstrap Wall funding to a CR. Nice try but NO
B) The only way that Bill got passed out of the GOP Majority House was because Ryan bootstrapped a Disaster Relief bootstrap onto the Wall Bootstrap. So he could not even get that Bill out of the House without sweetening the pot for some GOP Congressmen. Again, nice try but NO
C) McConnell did not have the GOP votes in a GOP Majority Senate to pass that regardless of what Schumer did
D) that was in the 115th Congress. Ancient history now. Welcome to the 116th.

Last edited:
Six different polls in the past two weeks (including Rasmussen) all state the same....

Trumps approval rating is falling
Trumps disapproval rating is increasing
Americans blame Trump for the govt. shutdown
Americans do not want a wall
Americans do not want Trump to declare a national emergency
Americans want the government reopened

Trump painted himself into a political corner with no off-ramp and the fool then doubled down.

Bu-bu-but Trump has leverage!

*clicks heels in a corner while sobbing uncontrollably*

Heard a better deal. They'll add one more contingency. Release your tax returns.

That's impossible, everyone knows that his returns have always been and will always be, being audited...

Regardless of what Trump offers, the fact remains that Democrats are resisting Trump in order to protect illegal aliens. IOW, elected American officials are putting foreigners who came here illegally before our own citizens. Of course, seeing what some of these states do, it is hardly surprising.

The only reason the government shutdown has continued this long is one of two things: (1) Trump is too stupid to understand that he is getting crushed in these non-negotiations; or (2) Trump through his own ineptitude has created a situation in which he is destined to lose, but Trump is too insecure and thin-skinned to accept the loss. Meanwhile, he keeps digging a bigger hole, his disapproval gets higher, his approval gets lower, and McConnell squirms more and more.

Get ready to watch him slur his way through another desperate speech today. I know I will.

He's doing more damage to the Republican party than Hillary ever could have.

Regardless of what Trump offers, the fact remains that Democrats are resisting Trump in order to protect illegal aliens. IOW, elected American officials are putting foreigners who came here illegally before our own citizens. Of course, seeing what some of these states do, it is hardly surprising.

Unsubstantiated opinion

First, can Donald Duck ever get anywhere on time. Probably does not help that he moves like a turtle on a sheet of molasses.
Second, can he ever get to a point. Does he always have to run down every single talking point AGAIN before he gets on with it.

So on to the specifics:
- $800M in humanitarian aid at the border
- $805M drug detection at POE's
- 2,000 new border agents
- 75 new Immigration judges
- New system to allow minors to apply for asylum in their home countries (can't wait to see this one since we have been closing off that capability for everybody from Cent. Amer)
- $5.7B for physical barrier, steel barriers/230 more miles (how much more after that DonDon) This is one of the big problems of not going through an Appropriations process!
- Three years of legislative relief for DACA recipients (temporary relief)
- Three year TPS extension (temporary relief)

I don't know if I would go for this if there was nothing on the other end of the deal for DonDon.

DOA!

Reopen government and then we can talk.

This will not put the ball back into the dems court because there is NOTHING here that has not been discussed in their negotiations. None of this belongs as a negotiation between Hill Leaders and the WH. It belongs in an Appropriations process and an actual Bill on the Hill.

Another BS announcement from the WH just as his message to the Nation from the Oval was a BS PR ploy. His act is getting so old and his riffs are so old that nobody even compelled him to mention the damage being done by the shutdown to workers and the country in general. Another stellar job by the most hamstrung by their own ineptitude President and WH in history.

Laughably the TV Trumpets want us all to forget how we got here in anticipation of Trump's 4:00PM announce. Sorry, not interested in any deals with Government still closed. Open government, then negotiate.

Yep, this is his shut down and to quote “Only I can fix it” says it all.

They actually probably do but even if not have enough GOP votes that Trump would look bad vetoing them.

Hence why McConnell is blocking them.

History is not going to look kindly on McConnell for his behavior the last several years.

yes dem's should be ashamed of themselves for having the longest government shut down in history.

dems have no power if trump offers on the DACA thing. if they reject it then well they are screwed. this was the play that i was waiting on for a while now.
Trump put them in a corner if he is offering this deal to them.

They have been crying for months about DACA and now he is giving it to them.
No he isn't going to sign anything that doesn't include what he wants because he knows for a fact that if he signs something without it in there he will never get it.

a more stupid politician would do what you suggest but trump is a business man and he is playing by business rules not politics.

He is not more going to sign anything without what he wants in it then he would otherwise.

however now with offering them the DACA deal he has put them on the defense.

There is no DACA thing offered, the "Bridge act" is meaningless because the courts have already enacted it. Trump needs to offer a permanent solution including pathway to citizenship if he wants to negotiate after the Govt. reopens. The bill he announced today can't pass the House or the Senate. it is a f'n joke.

There is no DACA thing offered, the "Bridge act" is meaningless because the courts have already enacted it. Trump needs to offer a permanent solution including pathway to citizenship if he wants to negotiate after the Govt. reopens. The bill he announced today can't pass the House or the Senate. it is a f'n joke.

I swear to God I don't have any earthly idea what DonDon thinks he is doing and I don't think either he or the 4th rate actors he has left in the WH have any idea either. What was that mess today?

Is he offering this now as yet another CR bootstrap. Is he offering it as a Bill because if he is offering an actual Bill that is going through Appropriations and there is no way to keep the government closed that long.

Trump literally has no idea what he is doing. None and I am not kidding. He has no clue and his "people" don't either.

I swear to God I don't have any earthly idea what DonDon thinks he is doing and I don't think either he or the 4th rate actors he has left in the WH have any idea either. What was that mess today?

Is he offering this now as yet another CR bootstrap. Is he offering it as a Bill because if he is offering an actual Bill that is going through Appropriations and there is no way to keep the government closed that long.

Trump literally has no idea what he is doing. None and I am not kidding. He has no clue and his "people" don't either.

He claimed it was a bill that McConnell promised to bring to the floor tomorrow. It has no chance of passing. No bill that has 5.7 Billion for the mythical wall does. Trump has no use for Govt. at all he believes he should just make all the decisions himself like his buddies Kim and Vlad.

He claimed it was a bill that McConnell promised to bring to the floor tomorrow. It has no chance of passing. No bill that has 5.7 Billion for the mythical wall does.

You know you are right about that. Trump did say that and I was so stunned at the lack of any substance to this ridiculous act we saw today, this charade promoted as some sort of serious Presidential announcement that I was writing down the particulars, looking for something of substance, trying to convince myself that the WH could not be stupid enough to try this. While trying to get my jaw back up off the floor, I heard it, just as you said it and it just did not register.

Thanks for pulling me back to that very moment! Well....thanks....I think!

yes dem's should be ashamed of themselves for having the longest government shut down in history.

During Obama's term Don said it was always the Presidents fault for a shutdown and the President should be fired. For once I wish we would take his own advice.

CNN host Don Lemon on Thursday shared a 2013 video of President Trump saying then-President Obama should be fired over a government shutdown.

"If you say, 'Who gets fired?' it always has to be the top," Trump said on Fox News in 2013.

"The problems start from the top and they have to get solved from the top. The president is the leader, he has to get everyone in a room and lead," Trump added at the time.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/423084-cnns-don-lemon-airs-2013-clip-of-trump-saying-obama-should-be-fired-over

Nope The DACA thing is a real deal and part of the compromise. if dem's were interested in DACA then they would deal with that and maybe put it out further.
The government doesn't need to re-open for dems to get off their rear end and do their job.

Nope it is a good bill and if dem's reject it then we know where they stand on the shutdown they started.

What you fail to realize is that trump doesn't give a crap if the government is shut down for the next 2 years.

During Obama's term Don said it was always the Presidents fault for a shutdown and the President should be fired. For once I wish we would take his own advice.

https://thehill.com/policy/finance/423084-cnns-don-lemon-airs-2013-clip-of-trump-saying-obama-should-be-fired-over

Since trump didn't cause the shut down why should he own it?

Schumer is 100% responsible for this thing and he should take credit for it
and continues to keep the government shut down.

He was offered a compromised plan that he has supported before so why is he now so against it?

The strong delusions Trump supporters have that they can so easily detach themselves from reality even when it's staring them right in the face is astonishing.

He was offered a compromised plan that he has supported before so why is he now so against it?

Why didn’t Trump when it was offered to him before?

When he would have gotten the entire $25 BILLION he was asking for?

The strong delusions Trump supporters have that they can so easily detach themselves from reality even when it's staring them right in the face is astonishing.

What I find astonishing is the time and energy so many spend debating people who're so dethatched from reality.

I can understand ridiculing someone who blames the Dems after hearing and seeing Numnuts taking pride in his shut down. But doesn't there need to be a basic agreement of reality for there to be any meaningful debate?

Does the Cult understand the words that are coming out of Trump's mouth?

Why did Trump reject that plan is a better question? Trump sat in front of the American and said "If I don't get my money I am going to shut down the Govt." A $5.7 Billion SLUSH fund with no bill and no firm plans for spending it and nothing in return. This latest "compromise" was a joke too.

Nope The DACA thing is a real deal and part of the compromise. if dem's were interested in DACA then they would deal with that and maybe put it out further.
The government doesn't need to re-open for dems to get off their rear end and do their job.

Nope it is a good bill and if dem's reject it then we know where they stand on the shutdown they started.

What you fail to realize is that trump doesn't give a crap if the government is shut down for the next 2 years.

Yea it does.

What Trump fails to realize is that eventually the Senate will pass a veto proof bill to reopen the govt. Their constituents will demand it.

The people care...so eventually there will be a veto-proof bill to re-open it.

And yes the government must re-open if there is to be a deal. You don’t reward holding government workers hostage.

Back
Top Bottom