• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Trump Has Repeatedly Asked If He Can “Preemptively” Pardon Himself

Report: Trump Has Repeatedly Asked If He Can “Preemptively” Pardon Himself

1) As per Justice Department regulations, convicted persons may only apply five or more years after their sentence has been completed.

2) The President's power to pardon is not restricted by any temporal constraints except that the crime must have been committed.

3) A pardon is an expression of the President's forgiveness and ordinarily is granted in recognition of the applicant's acceptance of responsibility for the crime and established good conduct for a significant period of time after conviction or completion of sentence. It does not signify innocence.

4) ts practical effect is the restoration of civil rights and statutory disabilities (e.g., firearm rights, occupational licensing) associated with a past criminal conviction. In rarer cases, such as the pardon of Richard Nixon, a pardon can also halt criminal proceedings and prevent an indictment.

5) A commutation is the mitigation of the sentence of someone currently serving a sentence for a crime pursuant to a conviction, without cancelling the conviction itself. (apparently Roger Stone is now requesting that his commutation be upgraded to a full presidential pardon)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Federal_pardons_in_the_United_States
*************************************************************************************************************************************************************************************

Perhaps someone should inform this President that the acceptance of a pardon brings with it the acknowledgement of "guilt!"

No only does that refute Trump's claims over the last 4 years that he's done nothing wrong, but casts a shadow over any future presidential aspirations!

Last edited:
So are you one of these people who says an innocent person wrongly convicted is guilty if they accept a pardon?
That's not what "these people" are saying - how can you receive a "pardon" from a crime you didn't commit?

Presidential Pardons and Commutations can't be invoked unless a "crime" has been committed and their acceptance carries with it the acknowledgement of guilt - something this President will never do!

It, by the way, also removes the ability to plead the 5th.
Which means a committee in Congress can subpoena Trump, put him under oath, and grill him over the past four years. He cannot refuse to answer their questions. Knowing he is incapable of not lying, one or more charges of perjury would surely referred to the DOJ for prosecution.

Which means a committee in Congress can subpoena Trump, put him under oath, and grill him over the past four years. He cannot refuse to answer their questions. Knowing he is incapable of not lying, one or more charges of perjury would surely referred to the DOJ for prosecution.

You mean Flynn, about Trump's involvement.

I think that it's more likely that it will be something on the state level though.\

You mean Flynn, about Trump's involvement.

I think that it's more likely that it will be something on the state level though.\
No, I mean Trump. There could literally be weeks of Trump declaring "I don't recall," "I have no recollection," "I don't remember," and "I'm not sure."

But sooner or later, someone will get under Trump's skin, and he'll be unable to resist spouting some bullshit about how he was fully within his rights to [insert felony here] and then he will immediately recant claiming he never said/did/ordered it and the game will be over.

Of course, along the way, he will throw probably dozens of loyal sycophants under the bus, leading to a whole bunch more referrals to the DOJ and those folks will have no incentive to continue lying for Trump since he will not be able to protect or rescue them. Of course, he would not be inclined to do so anyway.

Back
Top Bottom