• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Saudi Arabia has sent death row inmates to fight in Syria.

Montecresto

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Saudi Arabia has sent death-row inmates from several nations to fight against the Syrian government in exchange for commuting their sentences, the Assyrian International News Agency reports.

Citing what it calls a "top secret memo" in April from the Ministry of Interior, AINA says the Saudi offered 1,239 inmates a pardon and a monthly stipend for their families, which were were allowed to stay in the Sunni Arab kingdom. Syrian President Bashar Assad is an Alawite, a minority Shiite sect.

According to an English translation of the memo, besides Saudis, the prisoners included Afghans, Egyptians, Iraqis, Jordanians, Kuwaitis, Pakistanis, Palestinians, Somalis, Sudanese, Syrians and Yemenis. All faced "execution by sword" for murder, rape or drug smuggling.

Russia, which has backed Assad, objected to the bargain and allegedly threatened to bring the issue to the United Nations, said an unidentified former Iraqi member of Parliament who confirmed the memo's authenticity, says AINA, an independent outlet.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...-fight-syria-commute-death-sentences/1852629/

Last edited:
I think it's funny how the same people who reject the claims of the US secretary of state will, instead, take the word of "an unidentified former Iraqi member of Parliament".

In their battle cry: "Where's the evidence?!"

I think it's funny how the same people who reject the claims of the US secretary of state will, instead, take the word of "an unidentified former Iraqi member of Parliament".

Some people will believe anything so long as it sounds good to them.

Apparently USAToday has no problem with the source. But I knew you wouldn't like it!

Some people will believe anything so long as it sounds good to them.

"Top secret memo" authenticated by a former member of Iraqi parliament (let's guess... an 'Assyrian'?)... Sure, that's good enough!

US secretary of state... can't believe that!

They ran the story!

And cited their source repeatedly, always pointing out who was claiming this. It's an interesting story because people who don't care about evidence present it as fact.

And cited their source repeatedly, always pointing out who was claiming this. It's an interesting story because people who don't care about evidence present it as fact.

Your accusing USAToday as not caring about facts now. It would appear you consider no sources reputable but the White House, that's hilarious.

Your accusing USAToday as not caring about facts now. It would appear you consider no sources reputable but the White House, that's hilarious.

USAToday reported on a claim by a BS news agency who cites an unidentified ex-parliament member of Iraq. Nowhere in the article did USAToday claim that those claims are true.

Drudge report and USAToday both bad now, OK.

Why is this a bad thing?

People who have graduated to death row have usually harmed their society. Killing them improves nothing, it's just petty revenge.

Why not give them a chance to make up for their past evil? This concept was used in a (fictional) film called The Dirty Dozen. I say hats off to the Saudis for doing this (assuming it's true).

I have no difficulty if believing the claims are true. For me it comes down to do I think any middle eastern government is made up of highly principled people.

Secondly death by beheading? And their courts even just? I'm not saying I'm siding with Assad whatsoever nor am I saying murder, rape and drug smuggling is okay and should not require the harshest of penalties. I'm just saying the whole freaking region is screwed up. Grown butt men can legally pay off debts by selling their little girls into forced marriages with other grown butt men, female genital mutilation is normal, beating your wife is the moral the to do, suicide bombers are designated as heroes and posthumously awarded the title of martyr, strong segregationists and I'm supposed to think, "No way, they wouldn't do something like that!"? Ths is better than an snl skit.

Back
Top Bottom