• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Obama's Africa trip could cost $60M-$100M [W:50]

Re: Report: Obama's Africa trip could cost $60M-$100M

That would be a good sequester. I think congress should cut this in half. That way it could be a one way trip :)

That would be a good sequester. I think congress should cut this in half. That way it could be a one way trip :)

Great idea, we would be much better off without his decision making

Recycle much?

Great idea, we would be much better off without his decision making

Congress makes the spending decisions.

True but not entirely accurate, the Congress does have authority to determine where spending goes, but it also has the power to delegate that authority and of course does so because would be impossible to have a working government without them delegating some of it. Typically what they do is fund big scale programs or one's with political weight and then leave the rest to perticular agencies with various degrees of instructions on how to use it attached.

For example I can send US government money by logging into the Army Supply System and ordering all kinds of stuff, that money has been given to the DoD, which was given to the Army, which was given to the unit which then gives me control over a certain part of it. Of course I have people who oversee me, but it doesn't go up to Congress whenever I purchase something for my unit.

Likewise the secret service, etc, has authority to make budget decisions on how to spend its pot of cash.

So when spending goes somewhere stupid, Congress may actually not be the first place to turn to see who to blame.

1350 weeks of White House tours.

1350 weeks of White House tours.

Is a tour of the white house more valuable to our country than diplomatic efforts?

uh oh, another leak

"the elaborate security provisions which will cost the government tens of millions of dollars are outlined in a confidential internal planning document obtained by the washington post"

Document: Major resources needed for Obama Africa trip - The Washington Post

"the trip to africa is complicated by a confluence of factors that could make it one of the most expensive of obama’s tenure, according to people familiar with the planning.

"us officials are providing nearly all the resources, rather than depending on local police forces, military authorities or hospitals for assistance"

elaborate security provisions, alright

an aircraft carrier offshore, a floating hospital, 24 hour fighter jet flyover cover

sheets of bullet*proof glass to cover the windows of the hotels where the first family will stay

parade limos for him and her (michelle), a radio jammer, specialized and secure communications car, ambulance prepared to handle biological and/or chemical attack, an xray truck...

"3 sets of each---because there's not enough time to transfer the equipment"

300 agents, 35 (including sniper protection) for the tanzanian safari (the girls were going) which got cancelled after wapo kept asking how much it costs

obama kicks back---bang for the buck

White House defends high bills for Africa trip - Washington Times

hey, we gotta beat the chinese to senegal

and all poor ambassador stevens asked for was a couple extra guards...

Is a tour of the white house more valuable to our country than diplomatic efforts?

Diplomatic efforts? Who the hell are you foolin'?

Yes. You see Obama coming over there to help and build relations. I see it as Obama going here you want money that the American people worked hard for and could be using for **** they need but instead we are giving it to you even though we are debt. We should stay out of the affairs of other countries.

I am sure if we looked at other presidents trips, their costs are probably the same.

Yep, this is much to do about nothing.

Yes. You see Obama coming over there to help and build relations. I see it as Obama going here you want money that the American people worked hard for and could be using for **** they need but instead we are giving it to you even though we are debt. We should stay out of the affairs of other countries.

Yeah but your perception and reality aren't exactly aligned completely.

They don't choose the trips

I am sure if we looked at other presidents trips, their costs are probably the same.

Look them up, the last one Bush took was 43.7 million

I support diplomacy through Skype.

Funny how the right never complained about Bush and his trips...

After all it cost the US taxpayer billions for him to visit Baghdad and Kabul....

Look them up, the last one Bush took was 43.7 million

Same location, number of days, and general activities? I'm sure you're accounting for that. Someone wishing to have a reasonable, informed opinion on the subject might do that. Someone just wanting to rant OBAMA BAD ME ANGRY, on the other hand, wouldn't bother.

You did bother, right?

Hey, we want the plane back. :mrgreen:

Funny how the right never complained about Bush and his trips...

After all it cost the US taxpayer billions for him to visit Baghdad and Kabul....

Yeah, acting like the Commander-in-Chief and visiting the troops was wrong. :roll:

30 rooms at $3000 a nite for michelle, the girls and their "entourage"

Failte First Family: the Obamas touch down in Ireland - Independent.ie

meanwhile, mom and pop america and their unemployed college grad son scotty are just gonna have to get by on those $10 per hour, part time jobs the obama economy is so adept at creating too few of

does the shelbourne get a new facade of bullet proof glass?

Back
Top Bottom