• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: France 'won't rule out' UN creation of Palestinian state

Banned
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
French FM Bernard Kouchner says that France prefers a two-state solution negotiated with Israel but the option of UN Security Council action remains on the table.

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has said that it is impossible to rule out the option of the United Nations Security Council creating a Palestinian state, French news agency AFP on Sunday quoted a Palestinian newspaper as saying.

According to the report, Kouchner told the Al-Ayyam newspaper that France prefers a two-state solution negotiated with Israel but that the Security Council option remains on the table.
We want to be able to soon welcome the state of Palestine to the United Nations," Kouchner is quoted as saying. "This is the hope and the desire of the international community, and the sooner that can happen the better
Report: France 'won't rule out' UN creation of Palestinian state - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

Just to clarify is someone suggesting that the UN "create" a state in the sense of recognizing borders of a state, regardless of what the political reality is, and giving them a regular seat in the UN?

Or are we just talking about giving Palestine a seat in the UN as a normal state would have?

And how would anyone think either of these two are a solution?

Just to clarify is someone suggesting that the UN "create" a state in the sense of recognizing borders of a state, regardless of what the political reality is, and giving them a regular seat in the UN?
Yes, France is suggesting they won't rule out that option.
Or are we just talking about giving Palestine a seat in the UN as a normal state would have?
Palestine already has observer status in the UN.
And how would anyone think either of these two are a solution?
Well, this way there is no more Israeli procrastination that only serves to build more settlements. Of course, Israel has never obliged by any UN Security Council Resolution, completely contrary to Article 25 of the UN Charter.

It's a good thing France won't rule it out. Palestinians are all saved now.

Of course prior to the Suez War, France was chief weapon's importer to Israel after the Soviets bailed and started providing for the Arabs. Then there was the whole Muslim Algerian torture campaign. And who can forget their love affair for Saddam Hussein? And let's not forget the Muslim riots inside France recently. So....not sure what France is trying to pretend here.

Last edited:
It's a good thing France won't rule it out. Palestinians are all saved now.

Of course prior to the Suez War, France was chief weapon's importer to Israel after the Soviets bailed and started providing for the Arabs. Then there was the whole Muslim Algerian torture campaign. And who can forget their love affair for Saddam Hussein? And let's not forget the Muslim riots inside France recently. So....not sure what France is trying to pretend here.

What does anything you mentioned above have to do with the actual topic at hand?

What does anything you mentioned above have to do with the actual topic at hand?

Well, it demonstrates the joke of France thinking that Muslims any where in this region cares or trusts what they think. Has France spent decades taking the heat for the creation of this mess? Or stood between them at peace talks? Or ever even negotiated peace talks between them? Who gives a damn about France? And with recent Islamic terrorist plots targetting them? Their "goodwill" towards Palesitnians is more about securing their own image amongst Muslims than caring about Palestinians. I'm not falling for it.

Last edited:
Well, it demonstrates the joke of France thinking that Muslims any where in this region cares or trusts what they think.

Well, obviously someone cared enough to interview the French Foreign Minister. All you did was post rhetoric that has little to do with the actual topic.

If I see a thread about America having one month to get the peace talks back on track, does that mean I can bash America and say no one should care or trust what America thinks?

Well, obviously someone cared enough to interview the French Foreign Minister. All you did was post rhetoric that has little to do with the actual topic.

It's "rhetoric" that trumps any BS French sentiment about Palestine. You can grovel and place faith in it, but I see through it. And what nation's military do you think France's "UN Security Action" will assume the duty? I have an idea. America should task all the European players that created this mess with the responsibility of resolving it.

If I see a thread about America having one month to get the peace talks back on track, does that mean I can bash America and say no one should care or trust what America thinks?

No, you cannot since it has been America that the entire world has looked towards for almost 40 years to solely find a solution for a mess it did not create. In the end, Europeans, Palestinians, and Israelis are responsible for this. We are merely left holding the bag and all the hate and anti-Americansim that comes with it.

Last edited:
It's "rhetoric" that trumps any BS French sentiment about Palestine. You can grovel and place faith in it, but I see through it. And what nation's military do you think France's "UN Security Action" will assume the duty? I have an idea. America should task all the European players that created this mess with the responsibility of resolving it.
It's rhetoric that's irrelevant to the topic.

What does France being Israel's chief arms supplier before the Suez War have to do with France and the creation of a Palestinian state from a Security Council Resolution?

Nothing.

Last edited:
No, you cannot since it has been America that the entire world has looked towards for almost 40 years to solely find a solution for a mess it did not create. In the end, Europeans, Palestinians, and Israelis are responsible for this. We are merely left holding the bag and all the hate and anti-Americansim that comes with it.
I don't recall the entire world looking towards America for anything. What did the entire world say to America about Iraq? The entire world was asking America to invade Iraq? The UN asked America to invade Iraq?

And America has some blame in the whole conflict. Blocking resolutions that would force Israel to actually comply with international law. Billions in aid and incentives. Israel is the only recipient of foreign military financing from America that does not have to use all the funds on purchases from the United States. It can spend 25% of the billions it receives on domestic projects. No other nation has that opportunity. George Marshall was right when he warned Truman that America would help "destabilize the region".

It's rhetoric that's irrelevant to the topic.

What does France being Israel's chief arms supplier before the Suez War have to do with France and the creation of a Palestinian state from a Security Council Resolution?

Nothing.

Well, I'll go ahead and repeat exactly what I already stated for you. I believe it is relevent because it portrays France's actual history and demonstrates how empty their sentiments are towards any Palestinian future.

But maybe you should write out exactly what is and is not relevent as decided by Degreez. We wouldn't want others to steer off your pattern of what is and is not relevent.

Well, I'll go ahead and repeat exactly what I already stated for you. I believe it is relevent because it portrays France's actual history and demonstrates how empty their sentiments are towards any Palestinian future.
3 sentences bashing France for small things your own country does as well is not a relevant portrayal of French history.

But maybe you should write out exactly what is and is not relevent as decided by Degreez. We wouldn't want others to steer off your pattern of what is and is not relevent.
It's obvious when a discussion is over. One poster will end up resorting to ad hominem arguments in the hopes of salvaging poorly thought posts.

I don't recall the entire world looking towards America for anything.

You don't? I must be on a different planet. I seem to recall virtually every U.S. President being the only source of diplomacy for this issue. Nope, I'm pretty sure I'm right. With Europe's imerialistic era in the region and the Soviet's proving that they merely wanted to play one against the other to fight us, we are exactly who Muslims/Israelis/ and Europeans looked to.

What did the entire world say to America about Iraq? The entire world was asking America to invade Iraq? The UN asked America to invade Iraq?

I thought we were talking about the Palestinian/Israeli affair. But Iraq, like all of them, was also a European creation. It was a nation built by Europeans and the population was a mixture of tribes that should not have been. After the Gulf War, our Western and Arab leaders decided that such a population must have the dictator. After 10 years of being the muscle for a depraved UN mission of containment, a man named Osama Bin Laden used it as justification for 9/11. I'm not really concerned with what some of the worldthough about our invasion into Iraq in 2003 because they weren't the focus of hate for the prior decade of containment.

And America has some blame in the whole conflict. Blocking resolutions that would force Israel to actually comply with international law. Billions in aid and incentives. Israel is the only recipient of foreign military financing from America that does not have to use all the funds on purchases from the United States. It can spend 25% of the billions it receives on domestic projects. No other nation has that opportunity. George Marshall was right when he warned Truman that America would help "destabilize the region".

We did not create Israel, the British, the Russians, and the UN did. We did not funnel weapons into the region, the Russians did and then flipped and began providing for the Egyptians and other Arabs. We were not the weapon's importer to either Arabs or Israelis until France threw a temper tantrum over the Suez War. What had developed has been facilitated by others. Like I stated, we are left holding the bag because all belligerent players washed their hands and walked away.

When is this "destabilizing" of the region supposed to occur? The Cold War was pretty successful as far as "stabilization" is concerned. And in the post Cold War world, where dictators are no longer the cure for Middle Eastern Muslims, modernizing Muslim forces are rebelling against fundamental voices throughout. But things are pretty stable considering. I know you are one of those that likes to pretend that no one in the world is responsible for themselves if you can place an evil American troop at least somewhere in the regional vicinity, but good things are happening all over. And iof you truly care about any Muslim or Palestinian you would be voicing for more conflict between the Middle Eastern democrats and fundamentalists.

French FM Bernard Kouchner says that France prefers a two-state solution negotiated with Israel but the option of UN Security Council action remains on the table....

That's largely a theoretical possibility. The U.S. would veto such a resolution. Moreover, absent agreement among the parties, the resolution would accomplish little as the basic dispute among the parties would remain unresolved. If anything, a resolution would complicate matters, as one side's unilaterallism would almost certainly lead to the other's taking unilateral steps of its own.

French FM Bernard Kouchner says that France prefers a two-state solution negotiated with Israel but the option of UN Security Council action remains on the table.

French Foreign Minister Bernard Kouchner has said that it is impossible to rule out the option of the United Nations Security Council creating a Palestinian state, French news agency AFP on Sunday quoted a Palestinian newspaper as saying.

According to the report, Kouchner told the Al-Ayyam newspaper that France prefers a two-state solution negotiated with Israel but that the Security Council option remains on the table.
We want to be able to soon welcome the state of Palestine to the United Nations," Kouchner is quoted as saying. "This is the hope and the desire of the international community, and the sooner that can happen the better
Report: France 'won't rule out' UN creation of Palestinian state - Haaretz Daily Newspaper | Israel News

I can sum this nonsense up in four words: NOT GOING TO HAPPEN.

Back
Top Bottom