• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Report for Federal Jury Duty Selection

Schweddy

Benevolent Dictator
Administrator
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
Wow! Never been asked to serve Federal before.

Attire: Male jurors required to wear Tie and Coat. Woman required to wear business pants or Dress.
(havn't worn a tie in over 15 years)

Date: August 22, 2005

This is going to be interesting...

vauge said:

Attire: Male jurors required to wear Tie and Coat. Woman required to wear business pants or Dress.

That's not fair. I wanna go. Then I won't have to work.:mrgreen:

I got a questionnaire last year, filled it out never heard back. My daughter just got the same questionnaire last month.

Maybe I shouldn't have answered every question with "Guilty!"?

Kelzie said:
That's not fair. I wanna go. Then I won't have to work.:mrgreen:

Hmm, you know jury duty only pays like $20 a day? To some serving on jury duty can be very financially devastating. When I worked in parole and probation I've seen judges let single moms out of it simply because it would cause them to not be able to support their children. Then some companies will continue to pay you if you get called.

vauge said:

Good luck! Hope it's not too intense!

Pacridge said:
Hmm, you know jury duty only pays like $20 a day? To some serving on jury duty can be very financially devastating. When I worked in parole and probation I've seen judges let single moms out of it simply because it would cause them to not be able to support their children. Then some companies will continue to pay you if you get called.

Local jury duty here pays $8 a day. Done that 3 years ago.

Federal jury duty is $40 a day + .405 a mile gas.

My company pays full while on duty. :mrgreen:

There was no questionaire like local duty. This is - fill this out with your info and report. If you fail to report, $100 fine plus possible imprissonment for up to 3 days. If you fail to wear a coat & tie - possible contempt - up to judge. Judge may ease attire to work casual, if selected AFTER first day. I just hope they don't realize my mocassins. ;)

Unlike local, it's similar to winning the lottery. Only 1000 people from 5 counties are pulled a year - according to website. As folks are dismissed, like the mother thing - they are NOT replaced in the pool, they could be called again within that year. If your're not picked and make it through selection - you are considered complete and are elligible again in 2 years. Local here is 4 years.

vauge said:
Local jury duty here pays $8 a day. Done that 3 years ago.

Federal jury duty is $40 a day + .405 a mile gas.

My company pays full while on duty. :mrgreen:

There was no questionnaire like local duty. This is - fill this out with your info and report. If you fail to report, $100 fine plus possible imprissonment for up to 3 days. If you fail to wear a coat & tie - possible contempt - up to judge. Judge may ease attire to work casual, if selected AFTER first day. I just hope they don't realize my mocassins. ;)

Unlike local, it's similar to winning the lottery. Only 1000 people from 5 counties are pulled a year - according to website. As folks are dismissed, like the mother thing - they are NOT replaced in the pool, they could be called again within that year. If you're not picked and make it through selection - you are considered complete and are elligible again in 2 years. Local here is 4 years.

You didn't have a big long questionnaire to fill out? Up here the feds send out a three page form. I think the mileage may be why I never heard back. at .405 a mile it would cost them $75 a day for my mileage. I think there may be a breaking point where they pay for a motel room if the mileage is extreme. Not sure though. My daughter was hoping to get picked too, until she found out her work wouldn't pay her while she's serving.

Pacridge said:
You didn't have a big long questionnaire to fill out? Up here the feds send out a three page form.
Nope
name - address - where you work - SS#

Sign and send in within 5 days of recieving.

Well, if you want to get out of it, show up JUST wearing a coat and tie.

I understand respecting the courtroom and all, but a coat and tie in a Texas summer? No thanks.

Your right about the Texas summer.
I don't think I could claim cold shower. :shock:

Kinda looking forward to it - your story was pretty neat - hopefully mine would be at least half as interesting.

vauge said:
Nope
name - address - where you work - SS#

Sign and send in within 5 days of recieving.

That's really odd. Why would the federal court system do things that differently. You're going to serve in the 5th circuit court? I still have the cover letter from the 9th circuit court Ashley received. Really odd, you'd think they'd all handle it the same way.

Pacridge said:
That's really odd. Why would the federal court system do things that differently. You're going to serve in the 5th circuit court? I still have the cover letter from the 9th circuit court Ashley received. Really odd, you'd think they'd all handle it the same way.

Yes sir, 5th district. Texas Eastern to be more specific.
http://www.txed.uscourts.gov/

9th is the last to the Supreme right? It would make sense to be more robust in the selection process.
We wouldn't want one to think one was guilty after 4 previous courts would we?

I thought 9th was judges only - no Jurors...

Last edited:
vauge said:
Yes sir, 5th district. Texas Eastern to be more specific.
http://www.txed.uscourts.gov/

9th is the last to the Supreme right? It would make sense to be more robust in the selection process.
We wouldn't want one to think one was guilty after 4 previous courts would we?

I thought 9th was judges only - no Jurors...

It must be something like that.

I really shouldn't have put "Kill'em all- Let God sort them out" in big bold letters at the top of the form I guess.

Seriously I really wanted to serve. I had the time and would have found it interesting. If it doesn't hurt you money wise I really think it would be a great exp. I was on Grand Jury one time. It was interesting but time consuming. Every Tues. and Wed. for six months. Vacations planned? too bad. I thought the Judge might boot me due to my occupation, no. I do think the DA thought he was going to get my vote on every case he put forth, no again.

Good for you, I believe it's a great honor to be choosen for this important civil service, good luck.;)

I just saw this:
Jury duty calls may be a scam

Minnesota court officials are warning that the public may be targeted by a caller posing as a court employee and using threats to get personal information for fraud.

The caller says the citizen evaded jury duty and threatens to issue a warrant, according to a news release issued Tuesday by the Minnesota Judicial Branch.

Such a scam has been used elsewhere in the country to get Social Security numbers, credit card numbers and employer information, according to the Judicial Branch.

That is crazy!

this might sound crazy! but i would LOVE.... or enjoy highly... to be on a jury!

It is such an interesting process for me. :) I was close once, but as the questions got deeper... between the sides... I was too close to the case..without even knowing it. Crazy to think that things happen in your areas and you may be connected just by everyday events.

:2razz:

Last time I walked out disappointed that I didn't get on the Jury.

This time, I don't care. Just showing up fulfills my duty.

Your right though, it would be uber cool.

OMG, I have a tie and coat on! A blue tie at that - maybe they will think I am a democrat. lol

The US government has no mercy!

I am currently serving and will be for the remainder of the week. :shock:

As the subject matter is of one of our forums here, I will not be participating and will be absent for the remainder of my service.

After, I will do a write up.

vauge said:
I am currently serving and will be for the remainder of the week. :shock:

As the subject matter is of one of our forums here, I will not be participating and will be absent for the remainder of my service.

After, I will do a write up.

Is the "subject matter" about voting for a slogan?....Cause I got "Einstein":smile:

lol, nope - last I looked Einstein was gaining ground.

Welp, I am still on Jury duty. The gov't has rested, now the defense will get their take on Tuesday. Again, for the sake of consistancy and legality, I will not be participating in the forums until it's over.

The subject of the trial has been hit on several times in a couple of our forums, so it is best that I not participate.

Please utilize the mods if there are urgent matters - that is what they are here for. Remember to click on that report post button and it will get prompt and due attention from the team if there are any posts that need action from a mod.

MY GAWD I MISS YOU GUYS! *sniff*

Still deliberating...

vauge said:
OMG, I have a tie and coat on! A blue tie at that - maybe they will think I am a democrat. lol

The US government has no mercy!

Wait are you done yet? When's the ruling? What's going on?

Back
Top Bottom