• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Report for Federal Jury Duty Selection

Tommorrow we start day #2 of deliberation.

Shhh.... I am not here.

vauge said:
Tommorrow we start day #2 of deliberation.

Shhh.... I am not here.

Ohh right....

Welp, we have recessed until next Wednesday. Still deliberating!!

The judge gave explicit detailed rules not to discuss it - so I won't. Until it is over, I will mostly stay in off-topic or general politics forums.

We finally reached a verdict after over 4 days of deliberation. Shew...

It was a challenge, but I will be able to sleep at night.

When I get the time, will write up a story (hopefully interesting), and share my experience.

vauge said:
We finally reached a verdict after over 4 days of deliberation. Shew...

It was a challenge, but I will be able to sleep at night.

When I get the time, will write up a story (hopefully interesting), and share my experience.

Sooo...is now good for you? ;)

Cause I've been dying of curiosity.

The trial was about two young men that were accused of conspiracy in selling crack cocaine while in possession of a firearm.

I am a big advocate of the 2nd amendment and have issues with federal prosecution just because a firearm was involved. This is reason why I didn't participate, as such discussion might have persuaded my opinion on the matter. Plus, it is kinda illegal to read the news and such during a trial.

Anyway, there were 33 kids to adults indited. Only two plead not guilty. The rest (quite a few) decided to provide testimony against the two. One had very strong evidence against him. Video, controlled crack cocaine buy etc... The other only had witness's that were interested in covering their own hide and a full conviction would reduce their sentence. They had reason to embellish or lie on the stand. There was no solid evidence of drug activity, and the "spending" that the second had done truly was minimal to prove a man guilty of being a bigtime drug supplier. Sad really, he was about to graduate from college with a degree in criminology.

It was a tough and emotional case. 4.5 days of deliberation. Longest any of the lawyers and judge (Reagan put him on the bench) can remember. We fine toothed every shred of evidence or lack of.
In the end, the two were convicted.

--------------
Here is a small story that I thought I would share from deliberation:
The two defense lawyers had the same name. Well, one had let's call him John as his first name and the other had John as his last. One was African American and the other was Caucasian. The govt lawyer was African American and female.

In the midst of the deliberation I was referring to my notes and said: Mr John crossed and so-and-so answered with blah...

A guy in the group asked "Which John!? This is getting confusing".
A lady in the group said, "Just say black lawyer or white lawyer; that will make it easier."
I was offended.
I countered with, "Why don't we just say, penis or no-penis?'"
The lady responded, "WHAT!? That was very rude!".
I said, "Well we have two black lawyers so I would be confused. Besides, I felt it just as rude to call them black or white lawyer. Their names are Mr. John and Mr. Smith"
From that point on, there was no more confusion - go figure. :rofl

vauge said:
The trial was about two young men that were accused of conspiracy in selling crack cocaine while in possession of a firearm.

I am a big advocate of the 2nd amendment and have issues with federal prosecution just because a firearm was involved. This is reason why I didn't participate, as such discussion might have persuaded my opinion on the matter. Plus, it is kinda illegal to read the news and such during a trial.

Anyway, there were 33 kids to adults indited. Only two plead not guilty. The rest (quite a few) decided to provide testimony against the two. One had very strong evidence against him. Video, controlled crack cocaine buy etc... The other only had witness's that were interested in covering their own hide and a full conviction would reduce their sentence. They had reason to embellish or lie on the stand. There was no solid evidence of drug activity, and the "spending" that the second had done truly was minimal to prove a man guilty of being a bigtime drug supplier. Sad really, he was about to graduate from college with a degree in criminology.

It was a tough and emotional case. 4.5 days of deliberation. Longest any of the lawyers and judge (Reagan put him on the bench) can remember. We fine toothed every shred of evidence or lack of.
In the end, the two were convicted.

--------------
Here is a small story that I thought I would share from deliberation:
The two defense lawyers had the same name. Well, one had let's call him John as his first name and the other had John as his last. One was African American and the other was Caucasian. The govt lawyer was African American and female.

In the midst of the deliberation I was referring to my notes and said: Mr John crossed and so-and-so answered with blah...

A guy in the group asked "Which John!? This is getting confusing".
A lady in the group said, "Just say black lawyer or white lawyer; that will make it easier."
I was offended.
I countered with, "Why don't we just say, penis or no-penis?'"
The lady responded, "WHAT!? That was very rude!".
I said, "Well we have two black lawyers so I would be confused. Besides, I felt it just as rude to call them black or white lawyer. Their names are Mr. John and Mr. Smith"
From that point on, there was no more confusion - go figure. :rofl

:rofl That's really funny. Some people are so touchy.

Great story, BTW

Back
Top Bottom