• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Facebook omitted conservative topics from trending list

No, the Senate is not investigating FaceBook. They're holding "hearings" which is a complete waste of time with 0 ability to do anything.

Apparently some Republican Senators do.

"Facebook must answer these serious allegations and hold those responsible to account if there has been political bias in the dissemination of trending news. Any attempt by a neutral and inclusive social media platform to censor or manipulate political discussion is an abuse of trust and inconsistent with the values of an open Internet." Senate Commerce Committee chairman John Thune

The Senate is investigating Facebook; WTF for are they going to do something? If not then they are wasting time and money for no good reason. If they are planning on intervening in someway then they are advocating government control of the internet.

Ahhhhhhhh, I know that feeling well. Never seen Alex Jones. During work hours we have Glenn, Rush and Mark so I listen periodically on the way to work, during work and then driving home. Once TVs an option, I don't listen to the radio any more.
I mainly watch Alex Jones online. That's my main platform for watching/listening to most things.

Don't rain on their victim parade Redress.

You know whenever they get to pull out the words "silenced" or "suppressed" they will in some bizarro attempt to make themselves feel the victims of the big meanie liberals.

Your side set the example, they were just a little slow to catch on. Any more meaningless input?

Conservatives sitting at home complaining about what liberals go out into the world and actually do.
Conservatives wringing their hands because they've voiced their opinions and somebody else hasn't put them into action yet.
Conservatives watching and pointing and complaining about liberals watching and pointing.
Just more of the same from the right whinge.

Both sides do the same, but you sit on the liberal sideline shouting out like a soccer mom.

Conservatism as a political ideology needs to be blacklisted.

Wow.

That is about the furthest from 'liberal" thinking as you can get. You're fronting one-party totalitarianism, just like North Korea.

I guess you'd be happy there. They have done away with all the inconvenient **** like 'freedom of expression". It appears to be a very harsh system, but I am told you eventually embrace it..or be tortured

You liberals are unable to discern "reliability" of news sources because you're been soaking in liberal bias for years. Talk about gullible. A liberal trying to understand reliable and unbiased news is like a fish trying to understand the concept of air.

If this wasn't important, FB wouldn't have tried to deny that editors determine whats "trending". Zuckerburg got his panties in a wad and felt the need for a passionate response. The correct response is: Who cares what FB thinks is important.

As rants go, on a scale of one to ten: 3

Information value: 0

This is interesting, Glenn Beck is defending Facebook.

Beck said conservatives failed to show any evidence of political bias yet asked Facebook to hire more conservative employees and train current employees on conservative values and even called on the Silicon Valley company to employ more Mormons.

"When did conservatives start demanding quotas AND diversity training AND less people from Ivy League Colleges. I sat there, looking around the room at ‘our side’ wondering, ‘Who are we?’ Who am I?" Beck wrote on his website. "I want to be very clear — I am not referring to every person in the room. There were probably 25-30 people and a number of them, I believe, felt like I did. But the overall tenor, to me, felt like the Salem Witch Trial: ‘Facebook, you must admit that you are screwing us, because if not, it proves you are screwing us.’"

Glenn Beck on Facebook: 'Affirmative action for conservatives'

Last edited:
This whole thing is totally absurd.

Facebook is a social media network company. It exists so that you can keep in touch with people, or if you love using it, post every five minutes about what you've just done. It has more features than one knows what to do with and thanks for all this complete fake outrage, I now know there somewhere there's a feed that links to news articles that other people have clicked on a lot. Or something.

But again, the one and only point that needs to be raised here is that Facebook is a social media company. It is not and does not put itself forward as a news media production company, "fair or balanced" or otherwise. It is beyond absurd for anyone to complain that Facebook's news feed might not be tied to a 100% unalterable neutral algorithm that makes sure to produce exactly 50% Conservative aritcles and 50% Liberal articels.

Treating Facebook like a News company is comparing apples to quasars.

Such hilariously faux outrage.

Last edited:
Alex Jones pisses me off wayyyy more than Rush ever could. And Rush hasn't made me want to hurl my personal belongings across the room.

To the extent I've ever seen or heard the deranged truther talk, he scares me more than anything. Well, not him personally, but the fact that there is a huge conspiracy community that trades in his paranoid delusions.

A detailed investigation v. an anonymous former employee allegation.

I'll just leave it at that. ;)

"Our data analysis indicated that conservative and liberal topics are approved as trending topics at virtually identical rates. "We were also unable to substantiate any of the specific allegations of politically-motivated suppression of particular subjects or sources. In fact, we confirmed that most of the subjects mentioned in media reports were included as trending topics on multiple occasions."

Facebook's general counsel, Colin Stretch

https://www.commerce.senate.gov/pub...389F52BE16D225F9A03FB53F8.facebook-letter.pdf

Back
Top Bottom