• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: Facebook omitted conservative topics from trending list

lol... Another manufactured, bogus conclusion demonstrating the lengths liberals like yourself will go to avoid addressing anything that clash with your ideological beliefs.

Either that, or you really are totally clueless when it comes to reading people.

Just a little further. You can almost taste it.

1421987905216.jpg

The issue is that Facebook states that it's trending news feed uses computer algorithms to determine what users see, meaning that it represents the stories that are generating the most interest, regardless of any political implications contained within those stories.

Now we are finding out that the people running that department at Facebook, have been circumventing the results of that computer algorithm and removing stories that interest conservatives and reflect poorly on democrats and the liberal agenda.

Presenting their trending news as "These are the stories of greatest interest" and editing out stories that don't meet with their own personal, political beliefs, is a blatant case of false advertizing. Although it might be perfectly legal and within their rights to engage in this behavior, it doesn't change the fact that it's still an attempt to manipulate the views and beliefs of the more than 1.5 billion people who log on to Facebook every month.

Here the story in a nut shell by the person who first broke it:

I understand. But Facebook is free and there is coercion or demand on any person that he/she use it, so there are no damages involved due to fraud or however disgustingly or dishonestly Facebook might be in how they run their website so long as they do not libel or slander their users.

We can let Facebook know how we feel about it. We can threaten to cancel our membership there. We can tell the world how much we hate Facebook. But because it is completely voluntary in how or whether we use it, they still have full right to run it however it floats their boat.

It really comes down to whether we care enough to cut off our nose to spite our face. We can use and enjoy Facebook knowing that they manipulate their news feeds and get our news elsewhere. Or we can refuse to use them out of protest in which case they won't much care and we will miss out on all the fun and enjoyment we have on Facebook.

Just a little further. You can almost taste it.

1421987905216.jpg

Your continued attempt at baiting me into a pissing contest with your insults, instead of addressing the issue at hand, only serves to strengthen my summation of you.

It's always nice when someone offers support to back up the opinions I have of them.... Thanks.

I understand. But Facebook is free and there is coercion or demand on any person that he/she use it, so there are no damages involved due to fraud or however disgustingly or dishonestly Facebook might be in how they run their website so long as they do not libel or slander their users.

We can let Facebook know how we feel about it. We can threaten to cancel our membership there. We can tell the world how much we hate Facebook. But because it is completely voluntary in how or whether we use it, they still have full right to run it however it floats their boat.

It really comes down to whether we care enough to cut off our nose to spite our face. We can use and enjoy Facebook knowing that they manipulate their news feeds and get our news elsewhere. Or we can refuse to use them out of protest in which case they won't much care and we will miss out on all the fun and enjoyment we have on Facebook.

I'm not suggesting that anything needs to be done here... I just think it's something that everyone should know and take note of. This fits a very specific pattern and my hope is, that everyone will see this pattern and who is engaging in this type of behavior.

I'm not suggesting that anything needs to be done here... I just think it's something that everyone should know and take note of. This fits a very specific pattern and my hope is, that everyone will see this pattern and who is engaging in this type of behavior.

Like it is anything new from those leftists who are doing their damndest to suppress, marginalize, punish, or refuse any speech they don't like?

I do appreciate that those who see it for what it is, though, do point it out. The more we point out the tactics many on the Left use to control us and chip away at our liberties they don't want us to have, the better. That way nobody is fooled.

Like it is anything new from those leftists who are doing their damndest to suppress, marginalize, punish, or refuse any speech they don't like?

What the **** are you talking about? Go on facebook dude. There are tons of conservatives spouting tons of conservative bull****. And not being stopped in any way unless they violate the TOS. The only thing facebook is doing is making sure that silly stories (and lets face it, conservative news stories are often silly) don't end up on the facebook trending list. But all of these conservative martyrs are still active on facebook and saying what ever they want.

Do you know what facebook would look like if the owners were hell bent on "suppressing, marginalizing and refusing" conservative speech? Cause it damn sure wouldn't look like it does now. Not even close. It's incredibly ignorant to even suggest that facebook is "refusing" speech.

What the **** are you talking about? Go on facebook dude. There are tons of conservatives spouting tons of conservative bull****. And not being stopped in any way unless they violate the TOS. The only thing facebook is doing is making sure that silly stories (and lets face it, conservative news stories are often silly) don't end up on the facebook trending list. But all of these conservative martyrs are still active on facebook and saying what ever they want.

Do you know what facebook would look like if the owners were hell bent on "suppressing, marginalizing and refusing" conservative speech? Cause it damn sure wouldn't look like it does now. Not even close. It's incredibly ignorant to even suggest that facebook is "refusing" speech.

You must not have checked in to see what this thread is about. You might want to read the OP.

You must not have checked in to see what this thread is about. You might want to read the OP.

I did read it. If you feel I'm incorrect please point out my mistake.

I did read it. If you feel I'm incorrect please point out my mistake.

Well then you would know that the OP is about admission from Facebook employees that they deliberately screwed with the algorithm to suppress conservatives news. Not conservative posts. Conservative news. I was responding to that. And your response was non sequitur.

Well then you would know that the OP is about admission from Facebook employees that they deliberately screwed with the algorithm to suppress conservatives news. Not conservative posts. Conservative news. I was responding to that. And your response was non sequitur.

They only suppressed silly news from the trending list. They didn't stop anyone from actually posting anything. And then you ran with that and started talking as if they were the gestapo. Your post was stupid.

Google, YouTube and now Facebook... This story goes hand in hand with the wide spread intolerance for diverse political and social views, that's swept through colleges and universities across America for the last few decades... and it all emanates from those on the political left. Is it fear, a perpension for dishonesty, or are their beliefs so weak that they feel they have to suppress certain facts and opinions in order to maintain some level of political legitimacy in the eyes of the public?

I don't know about everyone else, but this wide spread political censorship by the left reminds me of the tactics of the old Soviet Union, the Castro regime in Cuba and Chavez and his thugs in Venezuela. Is this the kind of America the progressive movement wants to usher in?

Have you considered using a social media platform that's more to your liking?

Notice the crickets.

The liberal incursion into all things America has reached the point of absurdity.

Academia, media, the scientific community, the legal system.....it all operates solely on politics and ideology.

America is being transformed into a nation of lies.

Well, I'm fairly certain I've already seen this and the other facebook whine OP debunked elsewhere, so I'll just note this:

All I see is the conservative psychological maladjustment disorder, in which sufferers compulsively twist their view of reality such that they can tell themselves that they are victims; no, not even mere victims, but Lords of Righteousness, whose ideology would result in a shining golden utopia....

...except that the Dark Lord and His Minions - LIBERALS! - are always sneaking in and ruining everything, keeping the conservative man down.

They constantly whine about everything. The media is victimizing them. Politicians are victiimizing them. Comedians like Stephen Colbert and Bill Maher are victimizing them. Facebook is victimizing them. Everyone and everything is victimizing them.

Yet somehow...just somehow...not one single conservative - and that's 50% of America, or about 160,000,000 human beings - not ONE of them is able to start media, companies, or comedy shows. Well, that is if you believe the stupid whining you see on sites like DP.

Of course, if you open your eyes, you know that there are plenty of conservative businesses that do their own victimizing, plenty of conservative media that puts its own spin on things, and so forth. Hell, there's even a conservative comedian, if you can believe it: Dennis Miller.

Enough of the conservative "I'm a victimized martyr" lie. It's more tired than you could possibly imagine

I find this thread hilarious. All of you pshawwing and dismissing FB doing this..... remember this the next time Fox News releases a biased news report and you go to complain about it

Does Facebook present itself as a Fair & Balanced news network, the most watched and most accurate TV news network?

Awful comparison.

:lamo ;) :lamo

Last edited:
They only suppressed silly news from the trending list. They didn't stop anyone from actually posting anything. And then you ran with that and started talking as if they were the gestapo. Your post was stupid.

Only stupid if you misread what I posted.

Have you considered using a social media platform that's more to your liking?

This thread isn't about me, it's about Facebook misleading it's 1.5 billion users about what news people are interested in.

This thread isn't about me, it's about Facebook misleading it's 1.5 billion users about what news people are interested in.

Excuse me. Have conservatives considered using a social media platform that's more to their liking?

Is there no end to the lengths conservatives will whine?

37420362.jpg

Zuckerburg needs to spend some time(preferably nighttime) on the west side of Chicago to see exactly what liberals have done.

I suggest you read post #1.

I did. Whether or not it's true that Facebook has a liberal bias is irrelevant. There are social sites that are liberal, there are social sites that are conservative, and there are social sites like this one which are relatively well mixed. These are companies/services run by private individuals, and the consumer is not constrained to any one of them (you can thank net neutrality for that, by the way). If I go to Stormfront and am prevented from making pro-Jewish comments, I am in no way prevented from stating my views, just on that one site run by a private individual.

Or is this another example of people not understanding the difference between government and a private entity?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom