• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges

Redress

Liberal Fascist For Life!
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
Report: 2 NJ men arrested on terrorism charges - Yahoo! News

AP-3:30 am

Two New Jersey men who allegedly intended to kill American troops were arrested Saturday at a New York City airport before boarding flights on their way to join a jihadist group in Somalia, a newspaper reported.

Mohamed Hamoud Alessa, 20, and Carlos Eduardo Almonte, 26, were arrested at John F. Kennedy International Airport before they could board separate flights to Egypt and then continue on to Somalia, The Star-Ledger of Newark reported. The newspaper cited officials familiar with the details of the arrests who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to discuss the investigation publicly.

Alessa, of North Bergen, and Almonte, of Elmwood Park, were charged with conspiring to commit an act of international terrorism through al-Shabaab, a violent extremist group based in Somalia and connected to al-Qaida, the officials told the newspaper. Al-Shabaab was designated by the U.S. as a terrorist group in 2008.

It's nice when the good guys win one.

It wasn't the Reverend and I, I can tell you that. :2razz:

Good for all law enforcement involved. Glad to see two potential murderers are now in custody.

Why were they arrested?
From the article it seems like they were planning on killing soldiers, no?
Release them to Turkey immediately.

Why were they arrested?
From the article it seems like they were planning on killing soldiers, no?
Release them to Turkey immediately.

Newark Star Ledger said:
Alessa, of North Bergen, and Almonte, of Elmwood Park, were charged with conspiring to commit an act of international terrorism through al-Shabaab, a violent extremist group based in Somalia and connected to al-Qaida, the officials told the newspaper.
Teams of state and federal law-enforcement agents who have been investigating Alessa and Almonte since 2006 took them into custody, the officials said.
The arrests were made as part of an investigation known as Operation Arabian Knight. Authorities said an undercover NYPD officer had infiltrated the suspects' group of friends and was able to monitor their consumption of jihadist videos and literature, overseas travel preparations, and purchase of airline tickets.

The two men had planned their trip Somalia for several months, saving thousands of dollars, undergoing tactical training and test runs at paintball fields to condition themselves physically, and acquiring equipment and clothing they could use when they joined al-Shabaab in Somalia, the officials said. Both had bragged about wanting to wage holy war against the United States both at home and internationally, investigators said.

Why release them to Turkey? Turkey apparently is low on terrorist or their recruitment must be down? Maybe they need to organize a bake sale... :shrug:

Last edited:
If anyone is being honest they would HAVE to admit that Obama (while carrying on MOST of the Bush practices) has done a GOOD JOB fighting terror. The fact is its going to get worse not better.

To your point - I think it's because Obama's carried on Bush's practices ... however I do not like the way Obama and his administration continues to dismiss Islam radicalists by playing name / word games. Whether it's PC nonsense or it's their held belief that those who perpetrate these terrorist activities are not nor should they be identified in the same sentence as Islam I think hurts more than helps. But that's ideology and semantics. The actions speak louder than words and we as a Country are killing and catching would-be terrorists - though 1 got through --- Hassan, and 2 failed due to either chance or lack of training. So... results are mixed.

To your point - I think it's because Obama's carried on Bush's practices ... however I do not like the way Obama and his administration continues to dismiss Islam radicalists by playing name / word games. Whether it's PC nonsense or it's their held belief that those who perpetrate these terrorist activities are not nor should they be identified in the same sentence as Islam I think hurts more than helps. But that's ideology and semantics. The actions speak louder than words and we as a Country are killing and catching would-be terrorists - though 1 got through --- Hassan, and 2 failed due to either chance or lack of training. So... results are mixed.

No. We were told that under Bush there NO terrorist attacks after 9/11 (which, by the way, isn't true) and therefore he protected us. There have been (if you use the Bush definition) NO terrorist attacks (again, this is only saying if you believe there weren't any under Bush). Thus they are equal if you use those standards.

Now, I maintain that there were terror attacks under Bush. The Anthrax killer (caught only after the attacks were halted). The DC Snipers.

So, if you're going to count the Texas Army Base shooter, then the Anthrax killer and DC Snipers have to count for Bush.

And they're Muslims, too. Surprise, surprise!!!

Eh, I still don't consider Hasan to be a terrorist. He shot at soldiers. We're at war, when OUR forces shoot at Al-Qaeda fighters we call it... well, "war." Soldiers are a legitimate target, and while I hate it, that does also apply to our guys. Try to flip the scenario around. CIA operatives convince an Al-Qaeda fighter to turn on his comrades. He shoots up one of their training camps. Is he committing terrorism? Is the CIA committing terrorism?

More on-topic, I agree. Whether we use the phrase "radical Islam" is entirely irrelevant. It's just a giant decoy for people to attack. What really matters is what we do, and in our anti-terrorism stance Obama has not substantially differed from Bush. (a subject of much irritation for me!) As I've often said on this board, I voted for Change and I got Bush III.

Back
Top Bottom