• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Replacing the dollar bill!

Senators again try to replace dollar bill with coin

Just wanted to see what all our American posters thought about this? Obviously the dollar bill is outdated and it makes economical sense but we all know people tend to hate change, do you think it will finally go through?

**** that bull****. In Canada they have a 1 and 2 dollar coin, you can't help but to carry 20 pounds of change on you as a result. **** coins, paper is cheaper.

Bills last longer than four years I've been getting bills that are well over 5 or 6 years old. Though we have new polymer which are suppose to last I think 10 or 15 years and they are supposed to almost indestructible.
Even so ... 0.07 / 6 years = 0.01166

0.01166 / 0.00533 = 218%

We'd still be saving the federal government boatloads in printing costs.

That's because a loonie or toonie hurts when thrown.:)
Every time I visit Canada, their idea of a $1 and $2 coin seems like a good one.

Yeah, if you don't mind ripping the pockets out of your jeans because you have 15 pounds of coins shoved in them.

Suzies were only minted during the 70s. They've been out of mainstream use for almost 30 years. :shock:

Egg-Zackly!!! Now you have an idea of how long I've been around if I served as a payroll officer in South Korea at the time. LOL

I like $100 bills. Got a stack of them for the "emergency fund". Good for haggling too. It's hard to buy a car from a private seller with a debit card.
Got more than a few $2 bills as well.

What do they care? The Fed is "printing" $87 billion a month, what's a couple more to cover paper money printing? It's a non issue, really.

Yeah, if you don't mind ripping the pockets out of your jeans because you have 15 pounds of coins shoved in them.

Why do people keep their coins in their pockets? I keep mine in a little pocket in my wallet and I just empty it out every once and awhile.

Why do people keep their coins in their pockets? I keep mine in a little pocket in my wallet and I just empty it out every once and awhile.

Because I don't carry a purse.

Because I don't carry a purse.

All the wallets in Europe seem to have one and very few but some people have them here, they are still mens' wallets; they just have a coin pocket.

All the wallets in Europe seem to have one and very few but some people have them here, they are still mens' wallets; they just have a coin pocket.

Well I'm sure you can have one. Less you're not putting your wallet in your pants, it still does nothing about the 15 pounds of coins you have to carry.

Well I'm sure you can have one. Less you're not putting your wallet in your pants, it still does nothing about the 15 pounds of coins you have to carry.

It does because most people I know take wallets out of their pockets regularly while coins not so much which makes you go maybe I should empty it. For example most people don't put their wallets through the wash.

It's just really annoying to go through the process of paying with a debit card when say something is under 5$ it's just much easier to use cash and is much faster.

How is it faster? You have to go two entirely separate places to get the cash, then to spend the cash. I can swipe a card and pay in less than 10 seconds. You must run really fast.

It ends up not working that way.
Where it would take a LOT of quarters to say buy, say a burger and fries,
Say about $7.00 (wow 28 quarters) no one would do that,
in Canada,3 toonies and a loonie, (A little more if you upgrade the fries to poutine:))

It ends up not working that way.
Where it would take a LOT of quarters to say buy, say a burger and fries,
Say about $7.00 (wow 28 quarters) no one would do that,
in Canada,3 toonies and a loonie, (A little more if you upgrade the fries to poutine:))

mmmmm poutine

How is it faster? You have to go two entirely separate places to get the cash, then to spend the cash. I can swipe a card and pay in less than 10 seconds. You must run really fast.

You go to one namely the bank and if you get out a twenty your good for a lot of transactions you don't have to get cash everytime. Well when you have to in out a PIN it takes longer than 10 seconds. Most people can do change in less than 10 seconds.

Just wanted to see what all our American posters thought about this? Obviously the dollar bill is outdated and it makes economical sense but we all know people tend to hate change, do you think it will finally go through?

The U.S. Government has failed at this before. The past two times the coined dollar was too close to the size of a quarter. I think that was part of the problem, since U.S. coins are all different sizes. As a matter of fact, it would be good if we did our paper money like that, different sizes and colors. Sort of like the Euro and other currencies.

You go to one namely the bank and if you get out a twenty your good for a lot of transactions you don't have to get cash everytime. Well when you have to in out a PIN it takes longer than 10 seconds. Most people can do change in less than 10 seconds.

That's why it's not run as a debit card, but as a credit card where there is no pin and no signature required under $20. Swipe card, done.

That's why it's not run as a debit card, but as a credit card where there is no pin and no signature required under $20. Swipe card, done.

It applies to credit cards aswell I believe.

The U.S. Government has failed at this before. The past two times the coined dollar was too close to the size of a quarter. I think that was part of the problem, since U.S. coins are all different sizes. As a matter of fact, it would be good if we did our paper money like that, different sizes and colors. Sort of like the Euro and other currencies.

lol yhe I always wondered how blind people could tell the between a 1 dollar bill and a 100 dollar bill

Paper money is cheaper to produce and transport...

Unless they want to use precious metals than I wouldn't be for the idea.

You gotta remember that a bag of coins weigh a lot and by de facto will add to transportation costs..

The only way to even make this concept viable would be to use precious metals, but how much of a precious metal can you actually get for a dollar?

Last edited:

You gotta remember that a bag of coins weigh a lot and by de facto will add to transportation costs..

The only way to even make this concept viable would be to use precious metals, but how much of a precious metal can you actually get for a dollar?

When you have 1 and 2 dollar coins you don't accumulate a lot of em in your pockets you tend to use them unlike quarters.
As to precious metals why? no other jurisdictions does that and they work fine

coins have a longer life-span though.

Back
Top Bottom