• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Replace the HVAC or wait?

Who do you have? I am lucky to have SRP, and I am one of the rare people that actually take the time to vote for their board elections. This year, we got more solar people on the board, hopefully they can do something about the net metering issue.
Currently APS. When I first moved to AZ was with SRP.

My bills are not bad. 2300sqft house. On a yearly average paying about $135/month. As stated before the house is all electric. We are on a plan which the cost per KWH is the same no matter what time of day. I do not like the off peak adjustable plans.

We have a 25 year old home with the original HVAC (1 stage 90% furnace, 1 stage 10 SEER AC) and we're considering replacing it in spite of the fact that, for now at least, it's working just fine. But there's very light dripping from the furnace exchange, which has caused a small amount of rust on the plate below it. The problem isn't severe, but it's there. All the HVAC people who've come over didn't feel that the dripping exchange was an immediate issue, but it's clear that our HVAC's glory days are behind it. But whether we have one year left in it, or four or ten just can't be known.

We've gotten multiple quotes and have decided on a 2 stage 96% furnace and a 2 stage 17 SEER AC, which would also be better at handling basic dehumidification. Buuuut, we're still on the fence about whether or not to pull the trigger since it's a major expense and we've never done this before.

So as I see it, we have two ways of looking at this:

1) Drive the current HVAC into the ground and get a new system only when we absolutely need it. The clock on a new system starts ticking as soon as it's installed, and at least this way we know we've gotten as much out of the old one as we can. And remember that old or new, the current HVAC is regulating the temperature and humidity just fine. It is not malfunctioning in any way (dripping exchange notwithstanding).

Or...

2) Buy a new system now, before hardware prices go up, and reap the benefits of energy savings from getting a more efficient system. However, a common theme we've heard is that newer, smarter and more complex systems don't last as long as older, dumber 1 stage systems, so getting 25 years out of the new one would be completely unrealistic.

How would you think about this? Note: we can do 5 year 0% financing.
I hear that heat pumps can do good work if you live in the right climate, but they struggle with more extreme temperatures. The ones just mounted on the wall of a house that is, I think they make more involved versions that are partially buried underground.
A new system that incorporated that tech might cut down on overall fuel and power usage?

We have a 25 year old home with the original HVAC (1 stage 90% furnace, 1 stage 10 SEER AC) and we're considering replacing it in spite of the fact that, for now at least, it's working just fine. But there's very light dripping from the furnace exchange, which has caused a small amount of rust on the plate below it. The problem isn't severe, but it's there. All the HVAC people who've come over didn't feel that the dripping exchange was an immediate issue, but it's clear that our HVAC's glory days are behind it. But whether we have one year left in it, or four or ten just can't be known.

We've gotten multiple quotes and have decided on a 2 stage 96% furnace and a 2 stage 17 SEER AC, which would also be better at handling basic dehumidification. Buuuut, we're still on the fence about whether or not to pull the trigger since it's a major expense and we've never done this before.

1) Drive the current HVAC into the ground and get a new system only when we absolutely need it. The clock on a new system starts ticking as soon as it's installed, and at least this way we know we've gotten as much out of the old one as we can. And remember that old or new, the current HVAC is regulating the temperature and humidity just fine. It is not malfunctioning in any way (dripping exchange notwithstanding).

Or...

2) Buy a new system now, before hardware prices go up, and reap the benefits of energy savings from getting a more efficient system. However, a common theme we've heard is that newer, smarter and more complex systems don't last as long as older, dumber 1 stage systems, so getting 25 years out of the new one would be completely unrealistic.

25 is well beyond it's life.

Get a new one now so you don't have to swelter for 2 days, or pay the increasing costs of new units coming your way fast.

Predicting inflationary costs over the next 2 years?

Currently APS. When I first moved to AZ was with SRP.

My bills are not bad. 2300sqft house. On a yearly average paying about $135/month. As stated before the house is all electric. We are on a plan which the cost per KWH is the same no matter what time of day. I do not like the off peak adjustable plans.
I've only had one bill over $200, that was because my mate moved in and wanted it cooler.

I have gas and electric, gas for clothes dryer and furnace.

Or...

Or...

I'm from the school of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's still performing decently, how do you know it won't last another five years? You can always find a system you like and order it now and store it if you have the room until the old one does break. Just a thought.

I'm from the school of, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. If it's still performing decently, how do you know it won't last another five years? You can always find a system you like and order it now and store it if you have the room until the old one does break. Just a thought.
@25 years you’re playing Russian Roulette, imo.

1650500449284.jpeg
Still holds air, right?

It's come down to Lennox (company 1) and American Standard (company 2).

Go with Dave, although if you're in a very hot humid region I would recommend Arkla-Servel over EVERYTHING else on the planet.
But Lennox is an awesome company and they do make a good unit.

1650505841699.png

The company offering American Standard (company 2) has the longer warranty.

American-Standard is a toilet company. 🤣
I think Whirlpool makes excellent washing machines but from personal experience I'm here to tell you, do not buy a Whirlpool fridge.

Still holds air, right?

The risks associated with a tire blowing out at speed and the AC going off are a bit different.

The risks associated with a tire blowing out at speed and the AC going off are a bit different.
You obviously live in a moderate climate…….

Ride that horse until it drops dead it's tracks. Because when you replace the system on a 25 year old home, you are probably going to need to replace ducts too... well, if we are talking about flexible ducts. The mylar and other insulation components on them are usually only going to last for 25-30 years.

I am in the same boat you are. My house is 35 years old, and so far the only thing on my system I needed to replace was a condenser fan---so, I know one day something major will fail, and have been patching soft ducts for a few years now.

Only upside for me is I live in SoCal where humidity is not a problem.

View attachment 67386553
Still holds air, right?
I agree, which is why I suggested buying a new unit and just keeping it until the old one blows a gasket. I'm not quite sure you can compare what my old man called a maypop with an ac unit. If that were me, that tire would have been retired a long time ago. If florida it rains so hard at times it's a good idea to have good tires.

Back
Top Bottom