• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Weiner Wigs Out on Republicans

I think it's shameful that this bill was not passed, but I cannot blame only the Republicans for doing it. Democrats hold the majority, and could have shot down every single dishonest Republican amendment, if they wanted to. The DEMOCRATS chose to suspend the rules, thus making passage impossible. Now they are going to tell the world that Republicans don't give a damn about the first responders. OK, so the Republicans don't care. What's new about that? The Democrats got this bill shot down for the express purpose of using political ammunition against the GOP, which is disgusting. Say what you want about the Republicans, but it is the Democrats who chose to manipulate the victims of 911 for political purposes, and this makes me want to puke.

Everybody keeps saying this money was to pay for first responders, but that's not entirely correct. Based on what I've read, it would pay for anyone that "claimed" to be damaged by 9/11, NOT just first responders. I'm not saying they shouldn't be helped, but seems to me they would have been helped by the health care reforms taking affect in a couple of years. Any money now should only pay for interim expenses.

Everybody keeps saying this money was to pay for first responders, but that's not entirely correct. Based on what I've read, it would pay for anyone that "claimed" to be damaged by 9/11, NOT just first responders. I'm not saying they shouldn't be helped, but seems to me they would have been helped by the health care reforms taking affect in a couple of years. Any money now should only pay for interim expenses.

It is not just claimed. They need to be certified to be suffering from a condition listed in the bill that is a result of exposure.

The payment piece is covered in this section. It seems that they are not looking to give anyone extra money but to cover anything not already covered.

PART 3--PAYOR PROVISIONS

`SEC. 3331. PAYMENT OF CLAIMS.

`(a) In General- Except as provided in subsections (b) and (c), the cost of monitoring and treatment benefits and initial health evaluation benefits provided under parts 1 and 2 of this subtitle shall be paid for by the WTC Program from the World Trade Center Health Program Fund.

`(b) Workers' Compensation Payment-

`(1) IN GENERAL- Subject to paragraph (2), payment for treatment under parts 1 and 2 of this subtitle of a WTC-related health condition of an individual that is work-related shall be reduced or recouped to the extent that the WTC Program Administrator determines that payment has been made, or can reasonably be expected to be made, under a workers' compensation law or plan of the United States, a State, or a locality, or other work-related injury or illness benefit plan of the employer of such individual, for such treatment. The provisions of clauses (iii), (iv), (v), and (vi) of paragraph (2)(B) of section 1862(b) of the Social Security Act and paragraphs (3) and (4) of such section shall apply to the recoupment under this subsection of a payment to the WTC Program (with respect to a workers' compensation law or plan, or other work-related injury or illness plan of the employer involved, and such individual) in the same manner as such provisions apply to the reimbursement of a payment under section 1862(b)(2) of such Act to the Secretary (with respect to such a law or plan and an individual entitled to benefits under title XVIII of such Act) except that any reference in such paragraph (4) to payment rates under title XVIII of the Social Security Act shall be deemed a reference to payment rates under this title.

`(2) EXCEPTION- Paragraph (1) shall not apply for any quarter, with respect to any workers' compensation law or plan, including line of duty compensation, to which New York City is obligated to make payments, if, in accordance with terms specified under the contract under subsection (d)(1)(A), New York City has made the full payment required under such contract for such quarter.

`(3) RULES OF CONSTRUCTION- Nothing in this title shall be construed to affect, modify, or relieve any obligations under a worker's compensation law or plan, other work-related injury or illness benefit plan of an employer, or any health insurance plan.

`(c) Health Insurance Coverage-

`(1) IN GENERAL- In the case of an individual who has a WTC-related health condition that is not work-related and has health coverage for such condition through any public or private health plan (including health benefits under title XVIII, XIX, or XXI of the Social Security Act) the provisions of section 1862(b) of the Social Security Act shall apply to such a health plan and such individual in the same manner as they apply to group health plan and an individual entitled to benefits under title XVIII of such Act pursuant to section 226(a) of such Act.

/facepalm

Dems wanted a supermajority because they were afraid that illegals were to be excluded by amendments.

Dems wanted a fund that was not reviewed every year.

Dems wanted to do this with a super majority so that they did not have to answer to the people.

This was politics on the democrat side. King is a supporter of this bill weiner was a non player.

Back
Top Bottom