• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Walter Jones in hospice care

poweRob

USMC 1988-1996
Supporting Member
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Went from broken hip to hospice. Something somewhere went very wrong. I wish he and his family well.

A North Carolina Republican congressman who has represented the state for more than two decades has been placed in hospice care, his office said in a statement released Saturday. Rep. Walter Jones, 75, was placed in hospice after his health declined following a broken hip he sustained on January 14, according to his office.

Around the time of his injury, Jones' office said he "underwent successful surgery" at a hospital in North Carolina and had started a rehabilitation process following the surgery. In the statement released Saturday, his office said that his family is asking for prayers "and for their privacy to be respected during this difficult time."​

It wasn’t that long ago that a broken hip at that advanced age was a death sentence.......

Sad news. Hip fractures are serious and often a death sentence.

Sad to hear this. Lets hope a miracle happens and things turn around for Rep. Jones.

Yeah, a long time ago hip fractures were death sentences. But it took time.

How do you go from breaking a hip one week, and hospice the next? There must be some extenuating circumstance here, because I know of several individuals today that survived hip replacement.

Quite possibly an infection, but also the Hospice care could be a normal transition. My grandpa lived to be 104. The last time he fell he was 102. After he got out of the hospital they transitioned him to hospice care for almost a year. He wanted to go back home but the family and ultimately he agreed that it was best if he went into an assisted living facility.

And I'm not going to lie...a big part of the reason he was in Hospice for a year and that he agreed to the assisted living community was the nurses in their scrubs. Loved to see them coming...loved to watch them leave...right to the very end. ;)

It wasn’t that long ago that a broken hip at that advanced age was a death sentence.......

While not a death sentence, it is often the start of a major decline.

One of the things I used to drum into my mom was safety issues. A broken hip on top of other health problems is bad news.

How do you go from breaking a hip one week, and hospice the next? There must be some extenuating circumstance here, because I know of several individuals today that survived hip replacement.

He could easily have had underlying conditions that he may or may not have known about. We also do not know why he fell. Was it a "whoops" or was he in the middle of a stroke or heart attack. Who knows. Too many possibilities.

It is also possible to have a surgery that was technically successful, but to have a major stroke or pulmonary embolus after.

But sure, many elderly individuals have successful surgeries for their broken hips.

Went from broken hip to hospice. Something somewhere went very wrong. I wish he and his family well.

A North Carolina Republican congressman who has represented the state for more than two decades has been placed in hospice care, his office said in a statement released Saturday. Rep. Walter Jones, 75, was placed in hospice after his health declined following a broken hip he sustained on January 14, according to his office.

Around the time of his injury, Jones' office said he "underwent successful surgery" at a hospital in North Carolina and had started a rehabilitation process following the surgery. In the statement released Saturday, his office said that his family is asking for prayers "and for their privacy to be respected during this difficult time."​

I don't work in the medical field, but I don't think this is very surprising to anybody who does. It seems like broken hip doesn't be that big of a deal, but for an older person it is, and one broken hip can cause a serious decline in health and well being. It's hard to recover from surgeries and infections at that age, and you're exposed to a lot of infections while recovering in hospital. I am very sad about this news. It's always sad. :(

He could easily have had underlying conditions that he may or may not have known about. We also do not know why he fell. Was it a "whoops" or was he in the middle of a stroke or heart attack. Who knows. Too many possibilities.

It is also possible to have a surgery that was technically successful, but to have a major stroke or pulmonary embolus after.

But sure, many elderly individuals have successful surgeries for their broken hips.
Yeah. Like I said: I suspect some extenuating circumstance here. Hip fractures today are often survivable.

Just the surgery itself can knock one back quite a few rungs on the ladder. Often you can't predict who will do well and who won't.

Last edited:
Just the surgery itself can not one back quite a few rungs on the ladder. Often you can't predict who will do well and who won't.

From personal experience.........both hips, total replacements, one no worries, one not so good!

A couple of the news stories have cited another illness he has been battling longer than the hip injury...but havent disclosed what it was. Perhaps that is what is or has caused the complications.

From personal experience.........both hips, total replacements, one no worries, one not so good!

I typed that without reading and hence I used the word not instead of knock. I later changed it but it should have read the surgery can knock one back quite a few rungs.

If you (or a loved one) have had a hip operation, after you recover, you may wish to henceforth wear hip protectors.

You wear them underneath your clothing.

Today they are very thin (no bulge).

If you fall again, the hip protectors may give you some protection.

You can find more info on the Web.

(I broke my hip in 2016. I wear hip protectors and knee protectors. I am 81 and may be 82 come March.)

Walter Jones, ‘freedom fries’ congressman who became Iraq War critic, dies at 76
https://www.washingtonpost.com/loca...24486280311_story.html?utm_term=.1a13277bd0ee

... He became a scathing critic of U.S. military action under Republican and Democratic presidents. But he held Bush’s vice president, Richard B. Cheney, in particular contempt for his role advocating for the Iraq invasion.

“Lyndon Johnson’s probably rotting in hell right now because of the Vietnam War, and he probably needs to move over for Dick Cheney,” Rep. Jones said in 2013 during remarks at a meeting of the libertarian group Young Americans for Liberty in Raleigh, N.C. ...

he voted against President Trump’s signature tax bill in 2017 in part because it increased the deficit. ...
the above is my best effort to say something positive about the man

He's not in hospice because of the hip.

I'd guess the fracture was the manifestation of a malignancy in his femur that must have been pretty extensive/incurable.

Back
Top Bottom