• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Lauren Boebert suggested that Americans in the LGBTQ+ community should be 21 before they can make 'life-altering decisions about their sexuality

Rep. Lauren Boebert suggested that Americans in the LGBTQ+ community should be 21 before they can ma

• Total voters
IMO they should be adults (i.e. at least 18 years old) before they can make this decision on their own.

However, if the child has reached the age of puberty, and the child initiates the request after a period of serious counseling and BOTH parent's agree, then it could be done during puberty (14 - 17).

If you're in the LGBQ community, haven't you already made a decision?

I disagree she's a conservative.
Suppose it depends on your working definition of the word.

Regardless, present-day conservatism is represented by the likes of her, MTG, Trump, Gaetz, Cawthorn, Cruz, Graham, McConnell, Cotton, and others of like mentality.

1649425880623.png

the first time i got a boner around a girl i knew.

But according to republicans in many place, its OK for old men to marry underage women.

Anyway, no, she can go **** off . She's a moronic POS

How about straight kids and their “decisions?”

Yeah, didn't she get knocked up while in HS?

But according to republicans in many place, its OK for old men to marry underage women.

Anyway, no, she can go **** off . She's a moronic POS

Yeah, didn't she get knocked up while in HS?
In full accordance with the laws of God and nature, by gar!

I don’t doubt it. The issue here is really one of being mature enough to make a life altering decision. If a gay or straight kid initially mistakes their orientation it’s really not the end of the world. A 14 year old who decides to get a sex change and then realizes it was a mistake would be tragic. It’d be similarly tragic for an adult but we assume adults can weigh those risks before making a decision.

We largely don’t allow people under 18 to make important life decisions on their own. I don’t see any good reason to make this an exception to that rule.
We don't allow 14-year-olds to walk into a doctor's office and order puberty blockers or hormones or SRS.

If a 14-year-old wants even just puberty blockers which are safe, reversible, and don't have long-term effects, they can only get them after a long process of evaluation by a mental health professional and with their parent's permission. Qualified adults determining if this is the correct treatment for the child's gender dysphoria. Usually that's all 14-year-olds even have access to, they don't take hormones until they're in their later teens and they can't get SRS until adulthood.

While it's tragic that sometimes a 17-year-old takes hormones and then later figures out they were not trans and has to attempt to undo the effects, it is even more tragic when a 17-year-old kills themselves because of untreated gender dysphoria.

Rep. Lauren Boebert suggested that Americans in the LGBTQ+ community should be 21 before they can make 'life-altering decisions about their sexuality and identity'​

https://www.yahoo.com/news/rep-lauren-boebert-suggested-americans-193223186.html

Agree?
Disagree?
And why?

Moi

The Drugs they take to alter the true biology is more powerful than Achohol. Also a person does not REALLY know who they want to be at an early age.
I ask young people I know the following:

Think of the coolest band/music group (or what ever thing they like) from 5 years ago! Now imagined if you got that tattooed on your arm. (make them give you the answer before the next part)
Now think about if right now you had that tattoo, would you think it is as cool as you did, or do you think it's kinda silly now?

Most realize that they were childish when they were children, and every 5 years what was cool can become lame(when you're a teen)!

The Drugs they take to alter the true biology is more powerful than Achohol. Also a person does not REALLY know who they want to be at an early age.
I ask young people I know the following:

Think of the coolest band/music group (or what ever thing they like) from 5 years ago! Now imagined if you got that tattooed on your arm. (make them give you the answer before the next part)
Now think about if right now you had that tattoo, would you think it is as cool as you did, or do you think it's kinda silly now?

Most realize that they were childish when they were children, and every 5 years what was cool can become lame(when you're a teen)!
How old were you when you had your first crush?

How old were you when you had your first crush?
That's a good one!
Very young , single digits.
But at the end of the day it was a biologically sound crush, one which nature intended, and could continue human life.
I did not feel the need to try and change reality and biology so my crush could seem normal.

That's a good one!
Very young , single digits.
But at the end of the day it was a biologically sound crush, one which nature intended, and could continue human life.
I did not feel the need to try and change reality and biology so my crush could seem normal.
So, prior to the age of ten you had a crush on someone of the opposite gender. And you still are attracted to people of the opposite gender today. So you knew, before the age of ten, that you were straight?

Suppose it depends on your working definition of the word.

Regardless, present-day conservatism is represented by the likes of her, MTG, Trump, Gaetz, Cawthorn, Cruz, Graham, McConnell, Cotton, and others of like mentality.

View attachment 67384496

They don't represent conservatives.

That's garbage.

They are no more conservative than I am jewish.

she votes conservative; she's a god damned conservative!

I eat the same food black people do.

I am not black.

It's unbelievable we have adults who still practice this kind of flawed logic.

If you can - in theory - be drafted at age 18, ALL personal decisions should be allowed at 18.

That would include transition, etc, or just having a beer.

We don't allow 14-year-olds to walk into a doctor's office and order puberty blockers or hormones or SRS.

If a 14-year-old wants even just puberty blockers which are safe, reversible, and don't have long-term effects, they can only get them after a long process of evaluation by a mental health professional and with their parent's permission. Qualified adults determining if this is the correct treatment for the child's gender dysphoria. Usually that's all 14-year-olds even have access to, they don't take hormones until they're in their later teens and they can't get SRS until adulthood.

While it's tragic that sometimes a 17-year-old takes hormones and then later figures out they were not trans and has to attempt to undo the effects, it is even more tragic when a 17-year-old kills themselves because of untreated gender dysphoria.
I think the last sentence is one worth really exploring, because it dives into the heart of the matter. What are we actually balancing: Preferences or Treatments? We have at least two concepts here, trans as gender dysphoria and trans as an identity.

In many ways I think we can do away with the gender identity aspect of this discussion as it relates to minors because it muddles the water. Lets take two other forms of body modification, breast implants and facial tattoos. One is more permanent, one is more invasive.

If a minor is suffering from a debilitating mental illness which could be treated with either a facial tattoo or breast implant, should that be a viable option? Who should make that decision? What's the criteria? Giving a 12 year old breast implants or allowing them to get a facial tattoo sounds a lot like child abuse to me. But for a 17 year old? I think there are probably cases where the benefits of that treatment outweigh the long term risks.

But we're talking about treatments for severe mental illness. When we start talking about someone who identifies as a different gender, that's entirely different. Giving a minor even minimal hormone treatments for any reason other than to treat mental illness seems monstrous to me. There's no immediate problem, why risk long term harm with someone who's clearly too young to properly understand the ramifications of their choices?

I eat the same food black people do.

I am not black.

It's unbelievable we have adults who still practice this kind of flawed logic.
ughhhhh!

false equivalence is false equivalence

ughhhhh!

false equivalence is false equivalence

What false equivalence ?

Conservatives are no more defined by what they vote for than I am defined by what I eat.

Max had liberal ideas. Do I think Marx as a present day (or even period) liberal ? No.

Back
Top Bottom