• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rep. Jefferson Wins Re-Election in La.

For shame, has this man no dignity?
The power of incumbency is strong.

Saturday’s incomplete tally appeared to split along racial lines, based on results in the November primary and interviews with voters. In the midterm election, Ms. Carter, who is also black, was the clear choice of white voters by more than seven to one, while blacks voted for Mr. Jefferson by about five to one.

But some black voters looked past the accusations. In interviews, several bristled at the suggestion made by some whites that sending Mr. Jefferson back to Washington would cast the city in unflattering light.

“He’s worked it hard down there over the years, and they haven’t proven anything yet,” said Freddie Robinson, a retired bus mechanic, after casting his ballot for Mr. Jefferson. “He’s done so much for us.”

Remember this the next time that someone tells you that southern whites are all racist and would never vote for a black candidate.

Absolutely amazing. I remember feeling the same way when Marion Barry got voted to be Mayor in D.C. after having been caught doing cocaine with a hooker. Who are these stupid people who vote for people like Barry and Jefferson?

Absolutely amazing. I remember feeling the same way when Marion Barry got voted to be Mayor in D.C. after having been caught doing cocaine with a hooker. Who are these stupid people who vote for people like Barry and Jefferson?

The same ones who re-elected Hevesi.

Your fellow liberal democrats.

Don't forget the same ones who re-elected Charles Rangel as well....bring back the draft why don't we....cuz it worked the first time when 3 people supported it before the war, so what better than to propose it again!
Good job NY Democrats....

Remember this the next time that someone tells you that southern whites are all racist and would never vote for a black candidate.
Oh, but only if that were true and the fact that Jefferson was not running in a heavily black populated district. Your own quote of the NY times also supported against the assertion you've made. He was voted in with a heavy split along the racial divide.
But then again, who's ever said that ALL, keyword, southern whites were racists?

:sigh:

Well it is Louisiana we're taling about.

Couple more great quotes:

"I just wish we could one day elect someone who wouldn't look ridiculous to the rest of the country," said Betty Holahan-Smith, 45, a white voter from the Lower Garden District. "First, we had 'Chocolate City' Nagin. Now we have 'Dollar Bill' Jefferson."
"He hasn't done anything the rest of the folks up in Washington haven't done -- he just got caught," said Sharon Williams of Mid-City.

She said Carter seems to have forgotten who she is, Williams said.

"Sometimes when you are an African American and you get too high on yourself, well, Karen Carter thought she was a Caucasian," she said. "You have to always remember where you came from."

The last one really gets me. She concedes that hes guilty of taking a $100,000 bribe. She rationalizes it by saying that "everyone does it." And then she says that she didn't vote for the other person cause she acted white.

This makes me ill.

Your fellow liberal democrats.

Actually both candidates in the runoff were Democrats. Do you have any exit poll data that suggests liberals were more inclined to vote for Jefferson, and conservatives were more inclined to vote for Carter?

Back
Top Bottom