• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Grayson Lowers the Bar

Dav

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Libertarian - Right
This has to be the most blatantly dishonest political ad I've ever seen, and that's saying something.

Rep. Grayson Lowers the Bar | FactCheck.org

We thought Democratic Rep. Alan Grayson of Florida reached a low point when he falsely accused his opponent of being a draft dodger during the Vietnam War, and of not loving his country. But now Grayson has lowered the bar even further. He’s using edited video to make his rival appear to be saying the opposite of what he really said.

In a new ad, Grayson accuses his Republican opponent Daniel Webster of being a religious fanatic and dubs him "Taliban Dan." But to make his case, Grayson manipulates a video clip to make it appear Webster was commanding wives to submit to their husbands, quoting a passage in the Bible. Four times, the ad shows Webster saying wives should submit to their husbands. In fact, Webster was cautioning husbands to avoid taking that passage as their own. The unedited quote is: "Don’t pick the ones [Bible verses] that say, ‘She should submit to me.’"

Here's Webster's full quote:

Webster: So, write a journal. Second, find a verse. I have a verse for my wife, I have verses for my wife. Don’t pick the ones that say, ‘She should submit to me.’ That’s in the Bible, but pick the ones that you’re supposed to do. So instead, ‘love your wife, even as Christ loved the Church and gave himself for it’ as opposed to ‘wives submit to your own husbands.’ She can pray that, if she wants to, but don’t you pray it.

There's more, too:

But the ad’s claim that Webster would "deny battered women . . . the right to divorce their abusers" is a distortion. The claim is based on legislation he sponsored in the Florida House of Representatives 20 years ago. The bill, HB 1585, would have allowed Florida residents the option of a "covenant marriage," which would limit their divorce rights. Under the proposal, couples could dissolve a covenant marriage only in cases of adultery. But that would not have applied to anyone who did not choose to enter a covenant marriage. The legislation died in committee in June 1990. Webster has not advocated for covenant marriages as a congressional candidate.

Grayson has been garnering attention by acting like an adolescent internet troll for some time now; hopefully he'll get booted out this November. Nate Silver, who last week gave Webster a 52% chance of winning, writes on Twitter that "Democrats who don't want to look hypocritical when they denounce GOP ads in the future should probably denounce Grayson's ads".

Seriously, is an out-of-context editing job is the best he can do? If you are going to be a scumbag, you might as well be entertaining. Say what you will about Carly, but at least her smear adds are hilarious.

Jesus and here I was thinking that the political smear ads couldn't get much worse. If he wins and I were him I would be ashamed of having to go that low to win.

Unfortunately, Grayson is utterly shameless.

Grayson is an amoral scumbag who says whatever he thinks will win him additional support from the far-left. He's running a national campaign in a local election, and here's hoping it backfires.

Grayson could always get a job at MSNBC. They seem to love him there.

I wouldn't call this "lowering the bar." The bar has been here for decades.

I kinda like politicians like Grayson where you know they're really speaking they're mind and not giving you the answers you want to hear at the moment. It makes them seem a bit more honest than the rest even if you don't agree with their politics. Politicians should be more blunt like Grayson in general, but this ad was a stupid move and he should come out and say that he was lying with this ad.

I wouldn't call this "lowering the bar." The bar has been here for decades.

To me, whether this is true or not is irrelevant. This kind of attack add should be denounced by every one, left and right alike, as unacceptable. The democratic party needs to come out and disown his actions as he is an embarrassment to us. We need to do better than this, and we need to police our own.

Nah, stick him on Fox with Coulter.

Nah, we like Coulter. Grayson fits right in on MSNBC. They drool all over him when he's on because they love all the hate he spews.

Nah, we like Coulter. Grayson fits right in on MSNBC. They drool all over him when he's on because they love all the hate he spews.

Must be Coulters long lost twin brother. Or would it be a marriage made in heaven? Any hows they are just peas in a pod.

To me, whether this is true or not is irrelevant. This kind of attack add should be denounced by every one, left and right alike, as unacceptable. The democratic party needs to come out and disown his actions as he is an embarrassment to us. We need to do better than this, and we need to police our own.

This is definitely true. Grayson is a jackass and I hope he loses because of this, maybe then people would get the idea.

Back
Top Bottom