• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) Assaults Cop

easyt65

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=77991

Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) punched a U.S. Capitol Police officer today after he mistakenly pursued her for failing to pass through a metal detector... The entire incident is on tape. The cop is pressing charges and the USCP are waiting until Congress adjourns to arrest her, a source claims...

In the immortal words of Milton Bradley, "Go to jail...go directly to jail...do not pass go...do not collect $200!" :rofl

easyt65 said:
http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=77991

Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) punched a U.S. Capitol Police officer today after he mistakenly pursued her for failing to pass through a metal detector... The entire incident is on tape. The cop is pressing charges and the USCP are waiting until Congress adjourns to arrest her, a source claims...

In the immortal words of Milton Bradley, "Go to jail...go directly to jail...do not pass go...do not collect $200!" :rofl

Either the police officer will come to his senses and drop any charges he is thinking of pressing or they will be ignored by the DA. I don't see it happening. A guy pushed my husband to the ground and I punched him like no one's business and when he was arrested, he told the police he wanted to press charges on me. The cops laughed at him, and so did the DA. In this case, the police officer grabbed her and her instinct was to defend herself. It's called self-defense.

Sorry, easy, but this ain't going nowhere. Nice try though. :lol:

Oh, I totally agree that this is not going to go anywhere if only because politicians are above the law...or think they are.

You said some guy pushed your husband down and you punched him - "self-defense". True, but this was not some guy 'attacking' McKinney - it was a police officer.

No, sorry aps - IF the police officer identified himself as a police officer while running after her or when reaching out to grab her, she deserves to go down. I would agree that if the policeman failed to identify himself, then she may have a case for perceived self-defense.

One of my questions would be for her, though: You know the SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) - you go through the metal detector on the way in. EVERYONE has to do so! So why did you blow past it? I am sorry if you were late, should that be her excuse, but that still does not give her the right to blow it off. The police have a job to do as well.

easyt65 said:
Oh, I totally agree that this is not going to go anywhere if only because politicians are above the law...or think they are.

You said some guy pushed your husband down and you punched him - "self-defense". True, but this was not some guy 'attacking' McKinney - it was a police officer.

No, sorry aps - IF the police officer identified himself as a police officer while running after her or when reaching out to grab her, she deserves to go down. I would agree that if the policeman failed to identify himself, then she may have a case for perceived self-defense.

One of my questions would be for her, though: You know the SOP (Standard Operating Procedures) - you go through the metal detector on the way in. EVERYONE has to do so! So why did you blow past it? I am sorry if you were late, should that be her excuse, but that still does not give her the right to blow it off. The police have a job to do as well.

Frankly, I think she overreacted; however, while he's a police officer, she is a Member of Congress.

I see your point in saying he identified himself as a police officer. We don't know how it came down--did she NOT hear him and when he grabbed her arm, she immediately struck him before realizing that he was a police officer? That's certainly possible. And it's not like she hit him with a baseball bat or something. If the police officer presses charges, he's a wimp, and he's most likely a republican.

Last edited:
No, not EVERYONE is required to go through the metal detectors. Members of congress are exempt. Apparently, she wasn't wearing the pin that she is supposed to wear to identify herself as a member of congress, and the cop didn't recognize her.

I wonder who would have posted this story if it was a REPUBLICAN member of congress involved? Your partisanship is showing. :roll:

aps said:
If the police officer presses charges, he's a wimp, and he's most likely a republican.

Are you implying, Aps, that republicans are physical wimps?

aps said:
If the police officer presses charges, he's a wimp, and he's most likely a republican.

NYStateofMind said:
I wonder who would have posted this story if it was a REPUBLICAN member of congress involved? Your partisanship is showing.

:shock: OH, Come on!

Enough of the apologist BS! If a police officer is punched by a woman he is a wimp...and a Republican? What happened for respect for authority or for the rule of law, which striking a police officer is definitely against the law (IF he did identify himself)?!

And you D@MN right I would be posting this if this was a Republican! Look back at the initial post - did I make a grand point of drawing attention to her being a member of either party? No! I cut and pasted the title of the article into the title of the thread. Look at the recent threads I have started around here lately - they are posts complaining about how POLITICIANS are acting as if they are above the law, how hypocritical they are towards one another, and how so many people are making excuses for them! Enough!

GOP or DNC does not matter in this story! IF she ran past the metal detector, the police officer gave chase, identified himself before grabbing her to stop her, and she turned and hit him, then she broke the law! I can NOT believe the level of partisanship on YOUR part for not even being able to acknowledge that ANYONE striking a police officer is ILLEGAL!

I am not saying that it all went down the way I described above, as the story is still developing; however - Come on! Enough of the partisan BS! It has gotten so bad in this country that we can't even acknowledge that hitting a cop is illegal anymore, that the legality is based upon which party the person doing the striking belongs to! :roll:

Another thread purely started to make the other side look bad...

Must be a day that ends in "y"...

BFD...:roll:

easyt65 said:

IF she ran past the metal detector, the police officer gave chase, identified himself before grabbing her to stop her, and she turned and hit him, then she broke the law! I can NOT believe the level of partisanship on YOUR part for not even being able to acknowledge that ANYONE striking a police officer is ILLEGAL!

Both the article and another member have told you that Members of Congress do not have to go through metal detectors, so she was hardly "running past the metal detector". :roll: Ignoring the unconfirmed statement mentioned in the article (we'll wait until we hear an official comment), witnesses said he did not identify himself - merely yelled "Ma'am" a few times from behind her, before grabbing her arm.

If she did not see who he was and only knew she was being grabbed from behind by some random person, no bloody wonder she punched him!

reaganburch said:
Are you implying, Aps, that republicans are physical wimps?

Nope. Not at all. I can't imagine that a police officer would press charges on a Member of Congress based upon the Member hitting him with his cell phone unless he had some ulterior motive. Maybe he has had a run-in with her before. So that's a possibility as well.

easyt65 said:

Enough of the apologist BS! If a police officer is punched by a woman he is a wimp...and a Republican? What happened for respect for authority or for the rule of law, which striking a police officer is definitely against the law (IF he did identify himself)?!

And you D@MN right I would be posting this if this was a Republican! Look back at the initial post - did I make a grand point of drawing attention to her being a member of either party? No! I cut and pasted the title of the article into the title of the thread. Look at the recent threads I have started around here lately - they are posts complaining about how POLITICIANS are acting as if they are above the law, how hypocritical they are towards one another, and how so many people are making excuses for them! Enough!

GOP or DNC does not matter in this story! IF she ran past the metal detector, the police officer gave chase, identified himself before grabbing her to stop her, and she turned and hit him, then she broke the law! I can NOT believe the level of partisanship on YOUR part for not even being able to acknowledge that ANYONE striking a police officer is ILLEGAL!

I am not saying that it all went down the way I described above, as the story is still developing; however - Come on! Enough of the partisan BS! It has gotten so bad in this country that we can't even acknowledge that hitting a cop is illegal anymore, that the legality is based upon which party the person doing the striking belongs to! :roll:

No question that if she hit him with her cellphone that she committed assault and battery. However, there are defenses for this kind of situation. As vergiss and I both mentioned, if she didn't hear him identify himself as a cop or didn't even see him coming up behind her and he grabbed her arm, what is the first thing soemone would likely do? Defend themselves. Now, if she saw he was a cop and had time to think before she hit him, that is a different story. But if the first thing she did was hit before making an assessment as to what was happening, I think she has a valid defense.

Was his grabbing her by her arm necessary?

McKinney is apparently no stranger to run-ins with the folks who man the metal detectors...

Dick Williams, publisher of the Dunwoody Crier, told FOX News that McKinney has often complained of mistreatment of African-American members of Congress regarding security checks on Capitol Hill. Indeed, this is not the first incident with McKinney at a checkpoint, according to Slate magazine.
"In August 1993, during her first term in office, a Capitol Hill police officer tried to prevent her from bypassing a metal detector, as members of Congress are allowed to do. For years afterward, The Hill reports, the Capitol Police pinned a picture of McKinney to an office wall, warning officers to learn her face because she refuses to wear her member's pin. (And because officers are innately suspicious of a black woman with braided hair and gold shoes)," reports the online journal.

A spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert was quick to comment on the incident.

"On a day when the Democrats are promoting their national security agenda, it's probably not a good idea for them to allegedly strike police officers."

Nor does she play any favorites in regards to whom she shoves around...

Notorious moonbat and former congresscritter Cynthia McKinney won the Democratic primary in Georgia's 4th District this week. Her win in the predominantly Democratic district all but assures her return to the US House of Representatives in the general election in November.
At the victory celebration Tuesday night, Jihad Cindy's bodyguards shoved a reporter for local radio station WSB toward the exit with a snarl. WSB host Neal Boortz takes the story from there...

On Tuesday night Ms. McKinney had a little celebration for supporters. The media was there to chronicle and report on the event .... including a reporter for our flagship radio station, Atlanta's News-Talk 750 WSB. When Cynthia's bodyguards noticed the female WSB radio reporter in their midst they swung into action. They approached our reporter and physically shoved her toward the exit with the words "Get your WSB *** out of here."

Our reporter is still waiting for an apology from Cynthia McKinney, but ... she isn't holding her breath.

Ed Morrissey summed it up this way:

I just need to make sure we have this correct. The new Democratic effort on national security, therefore, is to defy identification procedures, ignore common-sense safeguards, pretend not to hear warnings, and then assault the people protecting us.
Gee, I don't know ... sounds like the old Democratic program on security to me.

Source.

Hmmmm....I'd love to watch that video. If she was evading an officer of the law that was clearly identified and in uniform, (by the way, congress persons do not wear identifying "uniforms". They look like regular business people. I wouldn't recognize one if I met them at a Walmart) and also knowingly stuck said officer, I hope they throw the book at her.

aps said:
Either the police officer will come to his senses and drop any charges he is thinking of pressing or they will be ignored by the DA. I don't see it happening. A guy pushed my husband to the ground and I punched him like no one's business and when he was arrested, he told the police he wanted to press charges on me. The cops laughed at him, and so did the DA. In this case, the police officer grabbed her and her instinct was to defend herself. It's called self-defense.

Sorry, easy, but this ain't going nowhere. Nice try though. :lol:

A cop grabbed her... Not some random guy walking down an alley. She then assaulted the policeofficer. She needs to be handled like any other criminal that assaults police officer. This was in no way self defense this was arrogance

Calm2Chaos said:
A cop grabbed her... Not some random guy walking down an alley. She then assaulted the policeofficer. She needs to be handled like any other criminal that assaults police officer. This was in no way self defense this was arrogance

I agree, but I bet this all gets dropped for one reason. That cop does not want to be the laughing stock around the police station for the rest of his life - The cop who got beat up by a woman half his size. That would practically be a career ender for him. LOL.

danarhea said:
I agree, but I bet this all gets dropped for one reason. That cop does not want to be the laughing stock around the police station for the rest of his life - The cop who got beat up by a woman half his size. That would practically be a career ender for him. LOL.

They would much rather be remembered as the cop that beat up Cindy Sheehan for sure. :rofl

danarhea said:
True, then again, I'm sure most cops don't want women punching them in their collective faces either. I hope she gets majorly penalized.

WOW!

I don't know what was more of a surprise, this strange and unusual story, or the blind defense of this woman?

I don't think we know the entire story, but I do know our "law makers" should indeed be the first ones following our laws. What kind of a message does that send, "Oh, big deal, she resisted an officer"? I think the wrong one, and I too hope she is held accountable for her actions!

vergiss said:
Both the article and another member have told you that Members of Congress do not have to go through metal detectors, so she was hardly "running past the metal detector". Ignoring the unconfirmed statement mentioned in the article (we'll wait until we hear an official comment), witnesses said he did not identify himself - merely yelled "Ma'am" a few times from behind her, before grabbing her arm.

Then it is more than likely this will all blow over! As I said above, hitting a police officer is against the law, but if he did not ID himself correctly, as it seems he did not, then it is excuseable.....Good lesson for the cop - better ID yourself before grabbing ANYONE again!

vergiss said:
If she did not see who he was and only knew she was being grabbed from behind by some random person, no bloody wonder she punched him!

As a habit, i do not normally turn and hit someone who grabs my arm. I wait to see who it is. That is just me, though! That is a good question, though - have these two had a run in before?

And again, this is not an 'us' versus 'them' post! ANY Congressman/woman hitting a police officer is news.....Grow up and get over your own partisanship!

Deegan said:
WOW!

I don't know what was more of a surprise, this strange and unusual story, or the blind defense of this woman?

I don't think we know the entire story, but I do know our "law makers" should indeed be the first ones following our laws. What kind of a message does that send, "Oh, big deal, she resisted an officer"? I think the wrong one, and I too hope she is held accountable for her actions!

Absolutely. If our lawmakers are held to a different standard than We the People, then we are not truly a nation of laws.

Captain America said:
They would much rather be remembered as the cop that beat up Cindy Sheehan for sure. :rofl

YA .. but it's fun when they beat cindy up.................

aps said:
Nope. Not at all. I can't imagine that a police officer would press charges on a Member of Congress based upon the Member hitting him with his cell phone unless he had some ulterior motive. Maybe he has had a run-in with her before. So that's a possibility as well.
I hear what you're saying. We should wait until all the facts come out on this.

KCConservative said:
I hear what you're saying. We should wait until all the facts come out on this.

LOL Yes, KC, we should! (Although it sounds like she may have a habit of behavior like this. :shock:)

Crack her, cuff her and throw her wide *** in jail

Back
Top Bottom