• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) Assaults Cop

KCConservative said:
Oh, I thought you'd have something to support the claim that she was grabbed from behind. In answer to your question, I'd say if you're a cop and you're about to arrest someone for assualt, you'd take them by the arm....even if facing them. Sounds reasonable to me.

And seeing as he grabbed her before she hit him, where did you pull this out of? I mean, I can guess, but....

McKinney quotes - a pattern of paranoia:

Ever since I came to Congress in 1992, there are those who have been trying to silence my voice. I've been told to "sit down and shut up" over and over again. Well, I won't sit down and I won't shut up until the full and unvarnished truth is placed before the American people.

I would ask our President to sidestep the "Rambos" in the White House and The Pentagon who are reported to want to use nuclear weapons and free our Secretary of State to do his job.

In November 2000, the Republicans stole from America our most precious right of all: the right to free and fair elections... Now President Bush occupies the White House, but with questionable legitimacy.

What is... disturbing to me is that many of these pro-Israeli lawmakers sit on the House International Relations Committee despite the obvious conflict of interest that their emotional attachments to Israel cause... The Israeli occupation of all territories must end, including Congress.

Kelzie said:
And seeing as he grabbed her before she hit him, where did you pull this out of? I mean, I can guess, but....
Cute, kelzie, but I'm not pulling it out of anyting. :lol:

Seriously, do we know he grabbed her before she assaulted him?

KCConservative said:
Cute, kelzie, but I'm not pulling it out of anyting. :lol:

Seriously, do we know he grabbed her before she assaulted him?

Yes we do. It's in all the reports.

Kelzie said:
Yes we do. It's in all the reports.

Umm yes he's allowed to do that in fact that's his job you know to stop people. She hit a cop she needs to suffer the consequences, this is not the first time this has happened this is the second time she has assaulted Washington security personnel, why should she get any special treatment just because she is a senator.

Trajan Octavian Titus said:
Umm yes he's allowed to do that in fact that's his job you know to stop people. She hit a cop she needs to suffer the consequences, this is not the first time this has happened this is the second time she has assaulted Washington security personnel, why should she get any special treatment just because she is a senator.

Because it is unclear whether he identified himself. Which he absolutely should have done before he grabbed her. Where did you read she's assaulted another officer?

Kelzie said:
Because it is unclear whether he identified himself. Which he absolutely should have done before he grabbed her. Where did you read she's assaulted another officer?
She has a history of this. Read the link. By the way, I usually can identify a cop due to his uniform and gun. He doesn't need to identify himself in order for me to understand he's an authority figure.

KCConservative said:
She has a history of this. Read the link. By the way, I usually can identify a cop due to his uniform and gun. He doesn't need to identify himself in order for me to understand he's an authority figure.

She has a history of complaining. Big deal. And if the cop is behind you, it's kinda hard to identify him.

Kelzie said:
She has a history of complaining. Big deal. And if the cop is behind you, it's kinda hard to identify him.
And so , ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is our defense. She only has a history of "complaining" and she didn't turn around to see who was asking her to stop. So naturally anyone in the same circumstance would assault the officer.

Good luck with that, kelzie.

Today her lawyer, James W. Myart Jr., pronounced McKinney a victim of racial prejudice:

"Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, like thousands of average Americans across this country, is, too, a victim of the excessive use of force by law enforcement officials because of how she looks and the color of her skin. Ms. McKinney is just a victim of being in Congress while black."

But from the Atlanta Journal Constitution...

Several Capitol police officials have said the officer involved asked McKinney three times to stop. When she did not, he placed a hand on her and she hit him, they said.

A statement from McKinney's office said the officer "body-blocked" her during the incident. But Michael Raffauf, an Atlanta attorney representing McKinney, said she had not seen or approved the statement, and that it had been issued by mistake.

And from her web site earlier today...

***1050pm EST update: McKinney responds..."Earlier today I had an unfortunate confrontation with a Capitol Hill Police Officer....I was urgently trying to get to an important meeting on time to fulfill my obligations to my constituents. Unfortunately, the Police Officer did not recognize me as a Member of Congress and a confrontation ensued. I did not have on my Congressional pin but showed the Police Officer my Congressional ID. I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, that of thousands of others, and I appreciate the work that they do. I deeply regret that the incident occurred. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now."***

After initially labeling the incident as merely an 'unfortunate incident', it seems that as the day wore on, McKinney either decided to on her own or was advised to 'play the race card'. Disgusting.

KCConservative said:
And so , ladies and gentlemen of the jury, this is our defense. She has a history of "complaining" and didn't turn around to see who was asking her to stop. So naturally anyone in the same circumstance would assault the officer.

Good luck with that, kelzie.

He grabbed her arm. It's not like he said "miss please stop" and she turned around and slugged him. As a girl, I find nothing wrong with turning around swinging when someone grabs your arm. Especially in a situation when you don't expect it.

oldreliable67 said:
Today her lawyer, James W. Myart Jr., pronounced McKinney a victim of racial prejudice:

"Congresswoman Cynthia McKinney, like thousands of average Americans across this country, is, too, a victim of the excessive use of force by law enforcement officials because of how she looks and the color of her skin. Ms. McKinney is just a victim of being in Congress while black."

But from the Atlanta Journal Constitution...

And from her web site earlier today...

After initially labeling the incident as merely an 'unfortunate incident', it seems that as the day wore on, McKinney either decided to on her own or was advised to 'play the race card'. Disgusting.

Playing the race card is pretty stupid IMO. Still doesn't say if he identified himself.

Kelzie said:
He grabbed her arm. It's not like he said "miss please stop" and she turned around and slugged him. As a girl, I find nothing wrong with turning around swinging when someone grabs your arm. Especially in a situation when you don't expect it.
With all due respect, it would land you in jail. Just some friendly advice.

KCConservative said:
With all due respect, it would land you in jail. Just some friendly advice.

No actually it wouldn't. Grabbing someone's arm is considered a threatening gesture. Just some friendly advice.

Kelzie said:

Let's look at this logicially for a second, she skipped a metal detector, she failed to show her idea, the police officer (wearing a uniform) yelled ma'am stop ma'am stop, and you're honestly telling me that she didn't know it was a cop? I'm sorry that story don't hold water. There is no law that requires that a police officer identify himself before he arrests a suspect you know they where those nifty uniforms for a reason. Have you ever been pulled over before do they say hello I'm a police officer, or how about at the air port when the metal detector goes off do they say "I'm a police officer, please stop where you are." Police only have to vocally identify themselves if they are going to shoot you not to stop you.

And they were discussing the incident on Hannity tonight that's how I know she has done this exact same thing before.

Last edited:
Let's look at this logicially for a second, she skipped a metal detector, she failed to show her idea, the police officer (wearing a uniform) yelled ma'am stop ma'am stop, and you're honestly telling me that she didn't know it was a cop? I'm sorry that story don't hold water.

So no, you couldn't find anything. Let's look at it logically. She skips the metal detector every day. She's not supposed to show her id. And someone grabbed her arm. Unless he identified himself, I don't see that she did anything wrong.

Kelzie said:
No actually it wouldn't. Grabbing someone's arm is considered a threatening gesture. Just some friendly advice.
I don;t see where you have given any advice here. Unless you were just mocking my post. If that's the case, then I'm sorry for being friendly.

KCConservative said:
I don;t see where you have given any advice here. Unless you were just mocking my post. If that's the case, then I'm sorry for being friendly.

I wasn't mocking you. If you grab someone's arm, especially a women's, and she hits you, you would have a difficult time convincing the officer that it wasn't self defense. Grabbing an arm is very threatening for a woman. I mean, I wouldn't be scared cause I could take anyone, but some women might be. :lol:

Kelzie said:
So no, you couldn't find anything. Let's look at it logically. She skips the metal detector every day. She's not supposed to show her id. And someone grabbed her arm. Unless he identified himself, I don't see that she did anything wrong.

He's in uniform there is absolutely no law that the officer has to vocally identify himself to stop a suspect, vocal identification only applies to cases of entry and if the officer is planning on shooting you. The uniform itself constitutes as identifying himself.

She's not supposed to skip the metal detector and why isn't she supposed to show her i.d..

This is not the first time she's done this either they were discussing the topic on Hannity and Colmes today and they pointed out that this is the second time this has happened.

He's in uniform there is absolutely no law that the officer has to vocally identify himself to stop a suspect, vocal identification only applies to cases of entry and if the officer is planning on shooting you. The uniform itself constitutes as identifying himself.

She's not supposed to skip the metal detector and why isn't she supposed to show her i.d..

This is not the first time she's done this either they were discussing the topic on Hannity and Colmes today and they pointed out that this is the second time this has happened.

Yes they are. Congress has a little pin that they wear that allows them to skip the detectors. That's why she was complaining that they didn't recognize her before.

And when the officer grabs someone from behind without identifying himself, the other person can't be blamed for fighting back.

Post proof that she's assaulted an officer before. And your memory doesn't count.

Kelzie said:
Yes they are. Congress has a little pin that they wear that allows them to skip the detectors. That's why she was complaining that they didn't recognize her before.

And when the officer grabs someone from behind without identifying himself, the other person can't be blamed for fighting back.

Post proof that she's assaulted an officer before. And your memory doesn't count.

It was on Hannity today that's where I got it I'll look for a corrobarating source though. There is no statute stating that the officer has to identify himself before stopping someone; furthermore, if she skipped the metal detector then how the hell would they have been able to see the pin? I'm sorry but when a man in uniform yells: "ma'am ma'm!" at a metal detector then if you don't know that it's a cop you have no place being a U.S. senator because you would be ****ing retarted.

And here look:

McKinney was not wearing her congressional lapel pin during the altercation, which Capitol Police officers use to identify lawmakers and allow them to bypass security checks.

Several Capitol Police officials have said the officer involved asked McKinney three times to stop. When she did not, he placed a hand on her and she hit him, they said.

http://www.foxnews.com/story/0,2933,189940,00.html

It was on Hannity today that's where I got it I'll look for a corrobarating source though. There is no statute stating that the officer has to identify himself before stopping someone; furthermore, if she skipped the metal detector then how the hell would they have been able to see the pin? I'm sorry but when a man in uniform yells: "ma'am ma'm!" at a metal detector then if you don't know that it's a cop you have no place being a U.S. senator because you would be ****ing retarted.

And here look:

That's presuming she isn't already past the man in the uniform where she can see him. Which it seems she was. Like I said, you don't grab a person's arm when you're standing in front of them.

From Wikipedia:

Now that I know the date I'll look for a better source.

Yeah you best. "Altercation" could mean anything.

Kelzie said:
That's presuming she isn't already past the man in the uniform where she can see him. Which it seems she was. Like I said, you don't grab a person's arm when you're standing in front of them.

By her own words the cop body blocked her which means he was in front of her:

And she was not wearing her identification pin:

In a draft of a statement that McKinney did not release, she said the officer "bodyblocked" her during the incident, and she blamed his failure to recognize her on a recent makeover.

She was not wearin her identification pin:

McKinney was not wearing her congressional lapel pin during the altercation, which Capitol Police officers use to identify lawmakers and allow them to bypass security checks.

And this is not the first of such incidents involving the Representative from Georgia:

After an incident in 1993 when she had an altercation with an United States Capital Police officer, a picture of her was posted for all officers since she refuses to wear a security pin identifying her as a member of Congress. There have been four more incidents since.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cynthia_McKinney

She is definately in the wrong here not the cop.

Back
Top Bottom