• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-GA) Assaults Cop

danarhea said:
However, you really know as much about this as I do.

Here ya go - the latest:

Rep. McKinney has 5th run-in with security

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...0-120057-3228r

In 1993, Capitol Police posted a photo of McKinney on an office wall so officers could remember who she was after she complained. Then in 1995, she complained again about being stopped.

"I am absolutely sick and tired of having to have my appearance at the White House validated by WHITE PEOPLE," she said at the time.

One more:

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/8343403/detail.html

McKinney Cancels News Conference

WASHINGTON, D.C. -- Capitol Hill police plan to issue an arrest warrant for Rep. Cynthia McKinney (D-Ga.).

The warrant is related to the incident Wednesday when McKinney allegedly slapped a Capitol Hill police officer.

Charges could range from assault on a police officer, which is a felony carrying a possible five year prison term, to simple assault, which is a misdeamenor.

McKinney issued a statement yesterday saying she "deeply regrets" the confrontation with the police officer.

The six-term congresswoman apparently struck a Capitol Police officer when he tried to stop her from entering a House office building without going through a metal detector. Members of Congress wear identifying lapel pins and routinely are waved into buildings without undergoing security checks.

The officer apparently did not recognize McKinney, she said in a statement.

"I know that Capitol Hill Police are securing our safety, and I appreciate the work that they do. I have demonstrated my support for them in the past and I continue to support them now," she said in the statement on her Web site. (REALLY? Remember saying this:
"I am absolutely sick and tired of having to have my appearance at the White House validated by WHITE PEOPLE," she said at the time.
)

The dustup is the latest in a series of tangles for the roughly 1,200-officer Capitol Police department. The department faces a difficult task -- protecting 535 members of Congress and the vast Capitol complex in an atmosphere thick with politics and privilege.

The safety of its members became a sensitive issue after a gunman in 1998 killed two officers outside the office of then-Republican Whip Tom DeLay of Texas.

Democratic Leader Nancy Pelosi on Thursday labeled it "a mistake, an unfortunate lack of recognition of a member of Congress." She added that the police officer was not at fault. "I would not make a big deal of this," said Pelosi, D-Calif.

Ron Bonjean, spokesman for House Speaker Dennis Hastert, R-Ill., responded: "How many officers would have to be punched before it becomes a big deal?"

Gill said:
You must be reading completely different news accounts of this. None of the stories I've read mention:

A) A cell phone. Everything I've read says she slapped him.
B) He grabbed her first. I've yet to see this.

I took the first website I could find:

Sources said the officer was at a position in the Longworth House Office Building, and did not recognize McKinney or see her credentials as she went around the metal detector.

The officer called out, "Ma'am, Ma'am," and walked after her in an attempt to stop her. When he caught McKinney, he grabbed her by the arm.

Witnesses say McKinney pulled her arm away, and with her cell phone in hand, punched the officer in the chest.

http://www.bizjournals.com/atlanta/stories/2006/03/27/daily29.html

Why do you think the police officer has anything to do with McKinney's imminent arrest?? Once a crime is committed, especially in front of police officers, the victim has no say in whether the person is arrested or not.

Really? Are you sure about that?

easyt65 said:
Here ya go - the latest:

Rep. McKinney has 5th run-in with security

http://www.upi.com/NewsTrack/view.ph...0-120057-3228r

In 1993, Capitol Police posted a photo of McKinney on an office wall so officers could remember who she was after she complained. Then in 1995, she complained again about being stopped.

Alright, tough guy. I see your point. I wasn't thinking about the fact that she has had multiple run-ins with security. Maybe this will teach her a lesson.

If this was her first encounter with this kind of thing, I would stand by my initial assessment of thinking that this arrest is just stupid.

P.S. You bet I got that guy arrested. He was hand-cuffed and thrown in jail.

aps said:
Alright, tough guy. I see your point. I wasn't thinking about the fact that she has had multiple run-ins with security. Maybe this will teach her a lesson.

If this was her first encounter with this kind of thing, I would stand by my initial assessment of thinking that this arrest is just stupid.

"Run-in" is a strong word. Seems like she's just complained about them before. If the officer didn't identify himself (which seems unsure) I think she was completely justified.

aps said:

Yay! :clap:

Kelzie said:
"Run-in" is a strong word. Seems like she's just complained about them before.

I agree, run-in is a strong word and was probably used onpurpose. She may have just complained about it before, but this time she decided to take it to another level!

Stupid 'white people', not recognizing her/being able to single her out from over 500+ Federal employees and even more visitors comming in and out of the building!

Maybe instead of a small lapel pin to identify that someone is a Senator or Congress(wo)man, maybe they ought to have arm-bands or something a little more flashy/obvious? ;)

Striking a cop......

Kelzie said:
I think she was completely justified.

But God forbid Judge Scalia should wave his fingers under his chin.

:wow:

KCConservative said:
Striking a cop......

:wow:

Wow look. You can take something out of context. Want a cookie?

Kelzie said:
Wow look. You can take something out of context. Want a cookie?
If it's an oatmeal raisin cookie, I do. ;)

Kelzie said:
"Run-in" is a strong word. Seems like she's just complained about them before. If the officer didn't identify himself (which seems unsure) I think she was completely justified.

Hmmm. An entrance to the office building that she has used how many times previously? An entrance to the office building with a metal detector and security station that she has traversed how many times previously? An entrance to the office building with a metal detector and security station and one or more Capitol Policement in attendance that she has traversed how many times previously? And the officers manning these security check points are always in uniform. (Yes, I have been there.)

In many instances, a criticism of an officer failing to identify him/herself is completely justified. However, the circumstances here, as described by the media and especially her history, suggests that this case is much more like an attitude problem on her part.

Even so, a warrant and an arrest seem a bit extreme.

oldreliable67 said:
Hmmm. An entrance to the office building that she has used how many times previously? An entrance to the office building with a metal detector and security station that she has traversed how many times previously? An entrance to the office building with a metal detector and security station and one or more Capitol Policement in attendance that she has traversed how many times previously? And the officers manning these security check points are always in uniform. (Yes, I have been there.)

In many instances, a criticism of an officer failing to identify him/herself is completely justified. However, the circumstances here, as described by the media and especially her history, suggests that this case is much more like an attitude problem on her part.

Even so, a warrant and an arrest seem a bit extreme.

But she passed through there multiple times and was never stopped. I can see how she wasn't expecting it and in that situation I can see why a woman would hit someone who grabbed her arm. As long as he didn't identify himself.

aps said:
I cannot believe that they are going to go through with this. While I do think she should have immediately apologized (people forget how much weight an apology can have), this arrest warrant is a joke. Poor, poor capitol policeman. He got hit with the cell phone and the person must pay! If he was genuinely injured, I would feel differently, but somehow I doubt that he has even a bruise.

you assault a cop
you go to jail
it is just that easy
if the blacks in the ghetto know this
why wouldnt a black congresswoman
she should go down
AND she should apologized instead of putting forth thru her lawyer
that she is only guilty of Being Black in Washington
she is a racist pig to play the race card when she was CLEARLY in the wrong

Kelzie said:

are you purporting that it was an Undercover cop manning the metal detector? :roll:

lets go to the video johnny

DeeJayH said:
you assault a cop
you go to jail
it is just that easy
if the blacks in the ghetto know this
why wouldnt a black congresswoman
she should go down
AND she should apologized instead of putting forth thru her lawyer
that she is only guilty of Being Black in Washington
she is a racist pig to play the race card when she was CLEARLY in the wrong

If the policeman didn't identify himself and grabbed her arm she was well within reason to slap him.

Kelzie said:
If the policeman didn't identify himself and grabbed her arm she was well within reason to slap him.

kelzie, the security guy was in his uniform.It has a picture badge on it.......This woman was wrong and this is not the first time it has happened with her...........Now she is claiming it was a racial thing.......

Pathetic!!!!!

Navy Pride said:
kelzie, the security guy was in his uniform.It has a picture badge on it.......This woman was wrong and this is not the first time it has happened with her...........Now she is claiming it was a racial thing.......

Pathetic!!!!!

Do you have proof she's assaulted a police officer before? No? Yeah that's what I thought. She's complained before cause they didn't recognize her. It's in no way similar. And speaking as a girl, if someone grabs my arm forcefully, I turn around swinging. If and only if the police officer identified himself before he grabbed her, you would have a point.

Kelzie said:
Do you have proof she's assaulted a police officer before? No? Yeah that's what I thought. She's complained before cause they didn't recognize her. It's in no way similar. And speaking as a girl, if someone grabs my arm forcefully, I turn around swinging. If and only if the police officer identified himself before he grabbed her, you would have a point.

No but it has been in the press before that she has had run ins with the capital police 5 times and has played the race card before......

There is a witness to the incident so it should be straightened out in court........

Navy Pride said:
No but it has been in the press before that she has had run ins with the capital police 5 times and has played the race card before......

There is a witness to the incident so it should be straightened out in court........

And the previous run-ins have been complaints. IIRC the witness said the police man didn't identify himself.

I'll just say I lived in Georgia for 12 years. She has a history of this and just loves to cry racist at every opportunity. Her Father is a piece of work too.

I bet Neil Boortz is having a field day with this.

Kelzie said:
And the previous run-ins have been complaints. IIRC the witness said the police man didn't identify himself.

Come on kelzie, the guy was in uniform, he had a shield and a indentidication badge on.........

This woman is a radical and plays the race card every chance she gets....Lets see how it plays out in court.........

Navy Pride said:
Come on kelzie, the guy was in uniform, he had a shield and a indentidication badge on.........

This woman is a radical and plays the race card every chance she gets....Lets see how it plays out in court.........

Yes and if he grabs her from behind like he did, how was she supposed to know that?

Kelzie said:
Yes and if he grabs her from behind like he did, how was she supposed to know that?
So now he grabbed her from behind? When did we learn this?

KCConservative said:
So now he grabbed her from behind? When did we learn this?

Well if he was were she could see him, what reason would he have to grab her? Common sense really. Why would you grab the arm of a person you're in front of?

Kelzie said:
Well if he was were she could see him, what reason would he have to grab her? Common sense really. Why would you grab the arm of a person you're in front of?
Oh, I thought you'd have something to support the claim that she was grabbed from behind. In answer to your question, I'd say if you're a cop and you're about to arrest someone for assualt, you'd take them by the arm....even if facing them. Sounds reasonable to me.

Back
Top Bottom