• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Cao Suggests BP Exec Commit 'Hari-Kari' Over Spill

Gina

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Liberal
FOXNews.com - Rep. Cao Suggests BP Exec Commit 'Hari-Kari' Over Spill
Lawmakers are fuming at BP, but Rep. Joseph Cao took that anger to a new level during a congressional hearing when he suggested a top executive commit ritual suicide.

The Louisiana Republican was addressing BP America President Lamar McKay during a House Energy and Commerce Committee hearing Tuesday. Following up on a colleague who had asked McKay to resign, Cao escalated the demand.

"Well, in the Asian culture, we do things differently. During the Samurai days, we'd just give you the knife and ask you to commit hari-kari," said Cao, who is Vietnamese-American. "My constituents are still debating on what they want me to ask you to do."

Cao went on to complain about BP's response in his district, which he said is suffering "great economic impact" from the oil spill.

"The clean-up process has been a disgrace. The claims process has been dismal," Cao said.

Wow! You go guy!

I know he didn't literally mean it, but hopefully BP gets the point. They should be ashamed of the destruction they caused for the sake of a buck.

In my point of view, if oil companies weren't essentially forced 50 miles off-shore, this kind of disaster wouldn't be happening.

That aside, although I understand the sentiment based on his culture, I never wish my worst enemy the kind of mental and emotional anguish which leads to suicide. It's an extremely serious and destructive state of mind.

Wow! You go guy!

I know he didn't literally mean it, but hopefully BP gets the point. They should be ashamed of the destruction they caused for the sake of a buck.

As should the federal government for failing to allow foreign vessels in to help for over 60 days.

As should the federal government for failing to outfit the 1994 plan as required by law.

BP is only one part of this disaster.

They should be ashamed of the destruction they caused for the sake of a buck.

Do you realize how big a buck they lost due to this spill?

The idea that they somehow wanted it to happen is beyond ridiculous.

Wow! You go guy!

All this guy is doing is stoking the crazy populism for brownie points from people like yourself.
Pat yourself on the back, you took the bait.
Talk is cheap, who is doing the actual work?

BP is, not some dumb ass politician.

If I were in his position (almost certain to lose reelection), I would probably be flailing out in every way possible as well.

Also, serious lol's at Cao's attempt to lump all Asian culture together as if hara kiri has anything to do with Vietnam.

Irrellevant. :shrug:

Irrelevant? LOL BP operated the well. Without them, this doesn't happen and they were negligent in their decisions leading up to the blow out. Hardly irrelevant.

BP Raised Risks at ‘Nightmare’ Well, Lawmakers Say (Update1) - BusinessWeek

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...ngineer-called-doomed-rig-nightmare-well.html

http://www.debatepolitics.com/break...72881-blowout-deepwater-horizon-disaster.html

Do you realize how big a buck they lost due to this spill?

The idea that they somehow wanted it to happen is beyond ridiculous.

Did I or anyone else say or imply they wanted something to happen? I don't believe so.

However, they cut corners to save money:

Five days before the blast, BP concluded the method to secure the final 1,200 feet of well, called a liner/tieback, was too time-consuming and expensive, the lawmakers said. Using an alternative called a long-string casing would save at least three days and about $7 million to $10 million.

BP Raised Risks at ‘Nightmare’ Well, Lawmakers Say (Update1) - BusinessWeek

One would assume, they would love to go back and spend that $7-$10 million now. Or $500,000 for an acoustic BOP? Seems like money well spent, after the fact, compared to the $20 billion they have now ponied up.

All this guy is doing is stoking the crazy populism for brownie points from people like yourself.
Pat yourself on the back, you took the bait.
Talk is cheap, who is doing the actual work?

BP is, not some dumb ass politician.

I'm not one of Cao's constituents, so he doesn't earn brownie points with me, only a hearty laugh at his symbolism.

I don't know why you would choose to defend a company who callously chose their shareholders over the safety of their crew and the expense of so many American livelihoods.

If I were in his position (almost certain to lose reelection), I would probably be flailing out in every way possible as well.

Also, serious lol's at Cao's attempt to lump all Asian culture together as if hara kiri has anything to do with Vietnam.

I don't know that Cao, a Republican, is certain to lose reelection, but I'm certain his constituents are blasting his office with email and phone calls and they expect their representative to speak up for them. He did, even if his method is not particular to his own culture. You don't think the people of the Gulf States are angry?

Again, why does anyone feel compelled to defend BP?

I don't know that Cao, a Republican, is certain to lose reelection

He's a conservative asian republican in a majority black D+25 district.
He's a freshman representative who's already getting out-fundraised by his democratic challengers.
He won his seat by beating a convicted felon by 2.8% in a low turnout off-cycle election.
LA is about to pass a law that may well eliminate whatever shreds of hope he had left.

I would be very, very surprised to see him hold his seat.

but I'm certain his constituents are blasting his office with email and phone calls and they expect their representative to speak up for them. He did, even if his method is not particular to his own culture.
You don't think the people of the Gulf States are angry?

I'm sure they are, I'm just noting how amusing it is for a Vietnamese person to lump all asian cultures together and talk about how "in asian culture," they would commit suicide. It's like Joe Lieberman getting up and making some speech about how in the white people culture, Fat Tony would find Hayward and make him an offer he couldn't refuse.

Again, why does anyone feel compelled to defend BP?

Can you explain how noting the hilarity of Cao's statement = defending BP?

This is the third or fourth time that I've seen someone blindly accuse people of "defending BP" whenever they said anything that could be construed as not calling for immediate corporate lynchings. It's just as dumb as when people accused anyone who objected to a Bush Administration policy of "supporting terrorists."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom