• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez Releases Green New Deal Outline

Also, I'm not sure how much revenue we get from taxing income above 10 mil. Can't imagine it's the 10s of trillions required to reach these "goals".

Maybe we can just find what closet the DOD left that 21 trillion in. Surely it's still just laying around to be found and spent.

We won't need a DoD any more. Once the word gets out about our guaranteed jobs with great salaries, paid vacations and retirement benefits gets out then folks will no longer hate us and will simply move here.

Ban... airplanes, cars, trains (eventually), cows, natural gas, nuclear power...

Ensure... "living wage" for people "unable or unwilling to work", college, a house, "healthy food"... blah blah blah...

I mean, hell, with a free "living wage", free food and a free house what do we need with an education? :roll:

She is b.o.n.k.e.r.s.

"upgrading all existing buildings" in the country for energy efficiency;
working with farmers "to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions... as much as is technologically feasible" (while supporting family farms and promoting "universal access to healthy food");
"Overhauling transportation systems" to reduce emissions — including expanding electric car manufacturing, building "charging stations everywhere," and expanding high-speed rail to "a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary";
A guaranteed job "with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations and retirement security" for every American;
"High-quality health care" for all Americans.

Good. These things should have been our "Manhattan Project" thirty years ago.

Somebody needs to welcome Nancy Pelosi to "the new age of politics", then.

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/pe...deal-the-green-dream-or-whatever-they-call-it

When the leader of the Democratic party openly disses it, I think it's highly unlikely that it's going to get anything resembling serious consideration anytime soon.

Which is a shame its a good proposal. I do agree with how Pelosi is handling Trump but there are things other than Trump that needs to be addressed. Pelosi is off base there, this stuff will be fundamental to the politics of the future, but some people are just focused on election cycles and not the next generation. At least the Dems are talking about this stuff. Can't say the same for the Grand Old Putin Party.

Those are some lofty goals, and not that I disagree with the outcome per se, but how you make all of that happen is the real question. There are a lot of factors here to make something like this work; including how this affects the current energy paradigm. Personally, I think this is something that works best when it's a market driven force rather than mandated exclusively through the government. The challenge is we can't effectively transition from fossil fuels to alternative fuels and provide the same level of output. If we can't do that, it's going to be hard to create the kind of demand that would create a market demand for that type of energy.

Then of course there is the issue of funding, and without a clear plan I can't see myself supporting something like this.

We’ve let the private sector do its thing for the past 100 years and they have done nothing to alleviate this mess, in fact, it’s what got us into it. It’s very clear that we can’t rely on it to fix this problem and there will need to be a public solution, sponsored by the people.

Funny, I thought this was a post asking for opinions and discourse. No one has claimed this was presented to become law or more than a wild pot-hazed dream.

Your characterization of the reaction is as silly as you are trying to make respondents out to be.

Yet, look at the responses from who would be her political opposition.

We’ve let the private sector do its thing for the past 100 years and they have done nothing to alleviate this mess, in fact, it’s what got us into it. It’s very clear that we can’t rely on it to fix this problem and there will need to be a public solution, sponsored by the people.

"upgrading all existing buildings" in the country for energy efficiency;
working with farmers "to eliminate pollution and greenhouse gas emissions... as much as is technologically feasible" (while supporting family farms and promoting "universal access to healthy food");
"Overhauling transportation systems" to reduce emissions — including expanding electric car manufacturing, building "charging stations everywhere," and expanding high-speed rail to "a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary";
A guaranteed job "with a family-sustaining wage, adequate family and medical leave, paid vacations and retirement security" for every American;
"High-quality health care" for all Americans.

Good. These things should have been our "Manhattan Project" thirty years ago.

Yeah this is better than fake infrastructure weeks full of fake announcements about fake factories coming back. How many of them did we have?

Yet, look at the responses from who would be her political opposition.

Finding entertainment in insanity is hardly freaking out.. Her last point alone in the OP destroys everything. Comfortable living without having to work for it. No doctors to provide the free health care because why go to 7 extra years of school when McDs will set you up nicely for life. No one to build the complete revamp of all existing buildings because why do manual labor when you get a nice living walking dogs after school.

When you can't possibly take something seriously, you might as well have fun. That's about 90% of this thread.

Ban... airplanes, cars, trains (eventually), cows, natural gas, nuclear power...

Ensure... "living wage" for people "unable or unwilling to work", college, a house, "healthy food"... blah blah blah...

I mean, hell, with a free "living wage", free food and a free house what do we need with an education? :roll:

She is b.o.n.k.e.r.s.

She went from being a bartender to being a government employee - so why not just do that for, like, everyone? Naturally she would not expect those that she serves to have a lower income than she does. Housing won't be free but building energy efficient housing will just become a profit-free, yet well paying, government job.

Finding entertainment in insanity is hardly freaking out.. Her last point alone in the OP destroys everything. Comfortable living without having to work for it. No doctors to provide the free health care because why go to 7 extra years of school when McDs will set you up nicely for life. No one to build the complete revamp of all existing buildings because why do manual labor when you get a nice living walking dogs after school.

When you can't possibly take something seriously, you might as well have fun. That's about 90% of this thread.

you misspelled Presidency...

She went from being a bartender to being a government employee - so why not just do that for, like, everyone? Naturally she would not expect those that she serves to have a lower income than she does. Housing won't be free but building energy efficient housing will just become a profit-free, yet well paying, government job.

We go live to Cortez presenting the Green New Deal on the House floor...

Dems, you own this nut case...

Plans to ban nuclear energy within 10 years if possible.

“It’s unclear if we will be able to decommission every nuclear plant within 10 years, but the plan is to transition off of nuclear and all fossil fuels as soon as possible.”

Build trains across oceans and end all air travel!

“Build out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary”.

Don’t invest in new technology of Carbon Capture and Storage, just plant trees instead!

“We believe the right way to capture carbon is to plant trees and restore our natural ecosystems. CCUS technology to date has not proven effective.”

Mandates all new jobs be unionized.

“Ensure that all GND jobs are union jobs that pay prevailing wages and hire local.”

May include a carbon tax.

“We’re not ruling a carbon tax out, but a carbon tax would be a tiny part of a Green New Deal”

May include cap and trade.

“…Cap and trade may be a tiny part of the larger Green New Deal plan”

How much will it cost?

No estimate of the total cost of implementing the Green New deal is offered by Ocasio-Cortez.

However, as Ocasio-Cortez admits, “even if every billionaire and company came together and were willing to pour all the resources at their disposal into this investment, the aggregate value of the investments they could make would not be sufficient.”

She does provide one estimate that the cost to “repair and upgrade infrastructure U.S. infrastructure” alone will cost “$4.6 trillion at minimum”.

How will it be paid for? Don’t worry about that.

Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t provide any insight into how the trillions of dollars in spending will be paid for other than claiming, “The Federal Reserve can extend credit to power these projects and investments and new public banks can be created to extend credit”.

Bus as Ocasio-Cortez says, “the question isn’t how will we pay for it, but what will we do with our new shared prosperity”.

https://www.atr.org/green-new-deal-air-travel-stops-becoming-necessary

Her item number 1, ten year plan, is not really necessary because she claims the world will end in 12 years, so just wait.

I think it will take an effort from the public and private sector. Businesses won't invest in anything of their own accord, so the question is how can people and government start making the market shift based on what the public demands.

So she thinks we can update every single building in the United States to green energy.

Then abolish airplanes.

And we'll be good.

Right?

Majority of americans are in line with progressive ideas. This is statistically asserted and the evidence supports the claim. Most americans want higher taxes on the rich, something to be done about climate change, are pro choice, favor envrionmental protections, favor regulations that protect natural resources, favor restrictions for mental health and gun ownership, favor increasing minimum wage, single payer, legal cannabis.

You name it, the majority are in line with progs.

Now, I think the new green deal is a stepping stone, however, I am against anything including a carbon tax. I haven't read her proposal, but at least she has one, which is more than I could say for 90% of the republicon and dimocrats in the house.

It's a stepping stone to an economic collapse in the US while our global adversaries continue to rely on fosssil fuels

If you haven't read the ridiculous and sophomoric proposal then allow me to post one of its objectives.

IMG_20190207_120334.jpg

Lol ! No the majority of Americans don't support this nonsense.

“It’s unclear if we will be able to decommission every nuclear plant within 10 years, but the plan is to transition off of nuclear and all fossil fuels as soon as possible.”

“Build out highspeed rail at a scale where air travel stops becoming necessary”.

Don’t invest in new technology of Carbon Capture and Storage, just plant trees instead!

“We believe the right way to capture carbon is to plant trees and restore our natural ecosystems. CCUS technology to date has not proven effective.”

“Ensure that all GND jobs are union jobs that pay prevailing wages and hire local.”

“We’re not ruling a carbon tax out, but a carbon tax would be a tiny part of a Green New Deal”

How much will it cost?

No estimate of the total cost of implementing the Green New deal is offered by Ocasio-Cortez.

However, as Ocasio-Cortez admits, “even if every billionaire and company came together and were willing to pour all the resources at their disposal into this investment, the aggregate value of the investments they could make would not be sufficient.”

She does provide one estimate that the cost to “repair and upgrade infrastructure U.S. infrastructure” alone will cost “$4.6 trillion at minimum”.

Ocasio-Cortez doesn’t provide any insight into how the trillions of dollars in spending will be paid for other than claiming, “The Federal Reserve can extend credit to power these projects and investments and new public banks can be created to extend credit”.

Bus as Ocasio-Cortez says, “the question isn’t how will we pay for it, but what will we do with our new shared prosperity”.

Her item number 1, ten year plan, is not really necessary because she claims the world will end in 12 years, so just wait.

Wow. LOL.

It takes a special kind of stupid.

Majority of americans are in line with progressive ideas. This is statistically asserted and the evidence supports the claim. Most americans want higher taxes on the rich, something to be done about climate change, are pro choice, favor envrionmental protections, favor regulations that protect natural resources, favor restrictions for mental health and gun ownership, favor increasing minimum wage, single payer, legal cannabis.

You name it, the majority are in line with progs.

Now, I think the new green deal is a stepping stone, however, I am against anything including a carbon tax. I haven't read her proposal, but at least she has one, which is more than I could say for 90% of the republicon and dimocrats in the house.

Actually, when you step out of that coffee shop in downtown Seattle, the majority of Americans are not for many of those things.

But live in that bubble if you want.

Actually, when you step out of that coffee shop in downtown Seattle, the majority of Americans are not for many of those things.

But live in that bubble if you want.

Change coffee shop to haze filled tent at the gorge and you had my thoughts ;)

Those polls are just meaningless dribble. They offer utopia and say "would you want this?" and do nothing to describe what would be required to make that utopia happen, how it's paid for or any of the downsides. Sure, free stuff sounds great! How do we make it free again?

How much will it cost?

I don't understand the appeal of banning nuclear energy, as it is one of the safest and cleanest forms of energy production we currently have. I don't think we should necessarily stagnate on it, we always push for new and better technologies. But it's not this evil form of energy production some folk think it is.

Also, not sure that airtravel will ever become "unnecessary". Not sure how one would build a high speed rail system over the ocean.

The problem with your wishful thinking crap is that we've been having wishful thinking for the past 100 years in the hopes that rich people will invest in our national infrastructure. We actually got so bad we elected a rich guy who wanted to build a wall and he can't even do that properly! If there's legislative framework for upgrading infrastructure and fixing the transit system. I'm all for it.

Upgrading all existing buildings is just going to make money for the people that own the buildings. Changing all the equipment for farms is going to put a hurting on smaller farm operations and benefit corporate farms because of costs. Sustainable food for everyone would, I assume entail a lot increase to food stamp benefits and subsidies to sustainable farmers. Building charging stations everywhere is going to benefit the people making the stations and the energy companies---not to mention the stress on the electrical grid that will have to be addre$$ed. High speed rail simply does not work economically everywhere and its monstrously expensive in labor and capital layout costs. High quality healthcare for all Americans---medicare for all and I assure you it will not be high quality by the time it is implemented.

Her outline will cost roughly two times our current GDP. Sure, its ambitious, its also impossible.

Back
Top Bottom