• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Reopening reality check: Georgia's jobs aren’t flooding back

Visbek

Stuck In The Circle
DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Other
From Politico: Reopening reality check: Georgia's jobs aren’t flooding back

Georgia’s early move to start easing stay-at-home restrictions nearly a month ago has done little to stem the state’s flood of unemployment claims — illustrating how hard it is to bring jobs back while consumers are still afraid to go outside.

40% of Georgia's workers have filed for unemployment assistance. That's the highest rate in the US.

Raise your hand if you're surprised.

Georgia's mobility is still far below normal. According to Unacast, Georgians are moving around and visiting non-essential businesses around 25% less than usual, and that hasn't changed much in several weeks; Google shows a 40% drop in people traveling to work, 39% drop in people taking transit, and a 16% drop in restaurants, retail shops, movie theaters, museums and so on.

Much in the same way that people were self-quarantining and stopping businesses before government edicts, they're continuing to do so after those orders have been modified or lifted. Julia Coronado, president and founder of Macropolicy Perspectives, an economic research consulting firm [says] “The economic story really isn’t about lockdowns, and we’re going to make mistakes by pursuing that narrative. It really is about the disease, and how fearful people are about getting sick, and how businesses are going to operate in a world where this virus is with us.”

Georgia’s early move to start easing stay-at-home restrictions nearly a month ago has done little to stem the state’s flood of unemployment claims — illustrating how hard it is to bring jobs back while consumers are still afraid to go outside.

40% of Georgia's workers have filed for unemployment assistance. That's the highest rate in the US.

Georgia's mobility is still far below normal. According to Unacast, Georgians are moving around and visiting non-essential businesses around 25% less than usual, and that hasn't changed much in several weeks; Google shows a 40% drop in people traveling to work, 39% drop in people taking transit, and a 16% drop in restaurants, retail shops, movie theaters, museums and so on.

Much in the same way that people were self-quarantining and stopping businesses before government edicts, they're continuing to do so after those orders have been modified or lifted. Julia Coronado, president and founder of Macropolicy Perspectives, an economic research consulting firm [says] “The economic story really isn’t about lockdowns, and we’re going to make mistakes by pursuing that narrative. It really is about the disease, and how fearful people are about getting sick, and how businesses are going to operate in a world where this virus is with us.”

My governor's recklessness has increased my chances of dying without helping our state economy. Thanks, dumbass. :doh

the reopening was for the ABILITY of shops to open, I dont anyone predicted that all the jobs would suddenly be flowing back in

I must admit seeing Georgia's infection numbers moderate slightly surprised me. But after their reporting fiasco around the same time Kemp decided to open up, I'm a bit wary of their numbers. Same with Florida's numbers.

I can understand the desire to open up the economy so business can pick up, but I think it was pretty safe to assume it wouldn't be some magical return to normal. As a small business owner impacted by this, I would love to open the doors, but I have no expectation of everyone coming back or profits to be what they were. I think people understand the highly contagious aspect of this disease and are taking precautions accordingly.

I must admit seeing Georgia's infection numbers moderate slightly surprised me. But after their reporting fiasco around the same time Kemp decided to open up, I'm a bit wary of their numbers. Same with Florida's numbers.

Given the data in the OP, it isn't surprising the cases haven't spiked significantly since people seem to be continuing their avoidance of behavior that increase their chances of catching the disease.

Well in that case, everyone should just shut up, put their masks on and hide in their basements till 2021.

Given the data in the OP, it isn't surprising the cases haven't spiked significantly since people seem to be continuing their avoidance of behavior that increase their chances of catching the disease.

Georgia's citizens are showing prudence and good sense that their lack.

My governor's recklessness has increased my chances of dying without helping our state economy. Thanks, dumbass. :doh

People act like Georgia is out of control but in reality they aren’t doing that bad

F9C5E1C2-AB1F-40B6-8635-04617C8A5497.jpg

I think that's true, people don't want to take the risk.

In Georgia and Florida, you have warm weather too. Viruses don't do too well in warm places, just like the common cold. I think that's part of why their death toll isn't as high as you'd think.

True. And regardless of what the "liberators" may say, a majority of Americans are still cautious about returning to life as it was before.

Frankly the 16% drop in retail, restaurants... seems low.

People have been waiting for Florida to explode with cases since this pandemic began. I think it's time to give their governor his props.

It more like 35% and that's over the span of two months. The unemployment rate is something around 11%.

The unemployment rate has fallen since the restrictions were lifted, as have continuing unemployment claims, indicating that people who have been out of work are finding employment.

The only people who thought most Georgians would go back to business as usual as soon as restrictions were lifted were naive northerners who are up to their ears in the virus.

I can understand the desire to open up the economy so business can pick up, but I think it was pretty safe to assume it wouldn't be some magical return to normal. As a small business owner impacted by this, I would love to open the doors, but I have no expectation of everyone coming back or profits to be what they were. I think people understand the highly contagious aspect of this disease and are taking precautions accordingly.

I think US/Canada are looking at long term high unemployment. Next year for sure, after that we shall see- to many variables as every country has been impacted

Some reports that China has 20% or so rate - that is a few hundred million, many being pushed from cities and returned to their region

Jobs are flooding back here in Arizona. Some resorts are gonna be close to 100% filled this weekend. Much of this has to do with tons of Californians flooding into Arizona to get away.

It sounds like the Governor of Georgia is doing a great job. The media will fight this because they are mostly miserable liberals who don't want to admit they got this wrong.

I think that's true, people don't want to take the risk.

In Georgia and Florida, you have warm weather too. Viruses don't do too well in warm places, just like the common cold. I think that's part of why their death toll isn't as high as you'd think.

It doesn't matter if its 110 degrees outside, the virus can survive long enough in the droplets of an infected sneeze or cough to infect people if social distancing isn't followed.

People act like Georgia is out of control but in reality they aren’t doing that bad

View attachment 67281265

Almost all of those were preventable. But I have the double misfortune of having both an idiot president and an idiot governor who couldn't care less about their citizens' lives. :doh

It more like 35% and that's over the span of two months. The unemployment rate is something around 11%.

The unemployment rate has fallen since the restrictions were lifted, as have continuing unemployment claims, indicating that people who have been out of work are finding employment.
The point of the article is that isn't the case. New unemployment claims went down -- and then went back up again. Overall, the unemployment rate hasn't fallen.

The only people who thought most Georgians would go back to business as usual as soon as restrictions were lifted were naive northerners who are up to their ears in the virus.
Well, as a "naive northerner," I didn't think this would do much. Restaurants and retailers can't survive on 25% capacity. They certainly can't employ 100% of their staff on that.

I might add, lots of other people were screaming about "open up NOW NOW NOW to save the economy!!!" So I don't think it was "just" those critics who expected better results.

You're free to stay home. No one has forced you to take risks that you feel are un-necessary.

The point of the article is that isn't the case. New unemployment claims went down -- and then went back up again. Overall, the unemployment rate hasn't fallen.

Well, as a "naive northerner," I didn't think this would do much. Restaurants and retailers can't survive on 25% capacity. They certainly can't employ 100% of their staff on that.

I might add, lots of other people were screaming about "open up NOW NOW NOW to save the economy!!!" So I don't think it was "just" those critics who expected better results.

Exactly.. and this lack of economic response is exactly what actual experts expected and why there has been such a strong push for more aggressive measures. Scientists don't often get accused of being overly sentimental.

The only way to save the economy is to make it safe to go back to something close to "normal". It's one of the reasons that this inane push to "save" the economy is so frustrating.

People have been waiting for Florida to explode with cases since this pandemic began. I think it's time to give their governor his props.
That's not so easy to do though, given his questionable handling of the stats, such as the firing of Rebekah Jones.

Well, there appears to have been a fair amount of manipulation in the way GA presents their data, so I'm wary of them.

Back
Top Bottom