• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Rental properties and Management not doing their jobs.

herenow1

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Undisclosed
We've been renting out our home for 14 ys. The original company got bought out by another mgmt company about 3 yrs ago.

We were never told that our tenants left the first week of the month. I was told only when I called and asked where the rent payment was. The lady played the ''oh-you didn't get the email'', game? Long story short, we haven't been happy with them for a long time, we keep hearing that they are either leaving our doors unlocked, or windows open. There's been vandalism in surrounding neighborhoods where there's vacant properties. They keep telling me they will get it cleaned and the yard maintenanced but they never get around to it. The tenant left on the 7th, and NOTHING has been done. I have gotten several calls and emails (as they have also) about the house and people being interested. They're showing them the house as is, and of course they leave disgusted b/c the previous tenant TRASHED the place bad. The only people who are interested in the house, are the ones I'd rather not rent out to, no decent job, trying to talk their way out of security deposit etc. We're looking at around $3,000 in repairs, and that's not including cleaning. It's like these tenants were on an episode of hoarders! I guess one of my question is-can we sue them if we find that someone walked in(b/c they didn't secure the property) and did more damage or stole something? We are in another state so it's not like we can keep our eye on the property. I'm just really frustrated right now, and want to know if anyone has dealt with agents who don't do their job, and causing you to loose money b/c of it? As soon as we get new tenants we are switching realtor company's. I actually read some reviews and there's nothing but NEGATIVE replies, both from owners and renters alike!

Just fire them and get someone else. It will cost you more for a lawyer than you could ever hope to recoup.

Always a danger that the judge will "Hometown" an out of state plaintiff in small claims court.

There could be a violation of their ethical code. Call the subject state real estate board and discuss it with them. Then you can file a complaint.

The only solution that we could find to this problem was to sell the property.

I wouldn't wait 'til you get new tenants. Sounds like that's not working out so well for you anyway. Fire them, get a new property management company, and get some reputable tenants. Then, as Ray suggested, talk to the State Real Estate board and see if anything can be done. Do you have any family or friends in the area that can take pictures for you? You need something like that to back up your claim.

This really stinks, and I'm sorry to hear it. This is the very reason you HIRE property management companies. To keep crap like this from happening!

We've been renting out our home for 14 ys. The original company got bought out by another mgmt company about 3 yrs ago.

We were never told that our tenants left the first week of the month. I was told only when I called and asked where the rent payment was. The lady played the ''oh-you didn't get the email'', game? Long story short, we haven't been happy with them for a long time, we keep hearing that they are either leaving our doors unlocked, or windows open. There's been vandalism in surrounding neighborhoods where there's vacant properties. They keep telling me they will get it cleaned and the yard maintenanced but they never get around to it. The tenant left on the 7th, and NOTHING has been done. I have gotten several calls and emails (as they have also) about the house and people being interested. They're showing them the house as is, and of course they leave disgusted b/c the previous tenant TRASHED the place bad. The only people who are interested in the house, are the ones I'd rather not rent out to, no decent job, trying to talk their way out of security deposit etc. We're looking at around $3,000 in repairs, and that's not including cleaning. It's like these tenants were on an episode of hoarders! I guess one of my question is-can we sue them if we find that someone walked in(b/c they didn't secure the property) and did more damage or stole something? We are in another state so it's not like we can keep our eye on the property. I'm just really frustrated right now, and want to know if anyone has dealt with agents who don't do their job, and causing you to loose money b/c of it? As soon as we get new tenants we are switching realtor company's. I actually read some reviews and there's nothing but NEGATIVE replies, both from owners and renters alike!

IMO, why not sell the place - is it worth that much time and money?

It seems you have made your money - if you really want to invest then try a better neighborhood.

If you owe something on the property and are using it for "personal gain" then that is your own problem.

IMO, why not sell the place - is it worth that much time and money?

It seems you have made your money - if you really want to invest then try a better neighborhood.

If you owe something on the property and are using it for "personal gain" then that is your own problem.

I have to agree with nick. Sell it get out rentals re nothing but a pain in the ass.

It's not in a bad part of town, it's actually in the perfect spot as it's 5 min from post and a military community. I guess some agencies just don't know how to ''upkeep'' the properties they're managing. I'd love to sell it, but we're already at the half way point, we only have 15 more yrs and it's paid off.. We've been able to keep tenants in there for the past 14.5 yrs, and thankfully this is only the second time (BUT IT'S THE WORST) someone left our house a mess. We've tried switching over, but they don't want the headache until the house is in tip top shape. If we can get tenants in there that want to buy it later down the road, that's a possibility. My husbands looking at it as another form of income once it's paid off. Also they ''say'' they're taking the previous tenants to court and get back the money they owe. I need to find out if they'll still follow through once we ditch them,and hire another agency.

Just do like they do here in rural Alabama - rent out a single-wide and pray that they're not cooking meth in it.

Fire them and move on.

Agreed with those who suggest just dropping them and vetting a new management company. Also, you may wish to report your experience with them to the Better Business Bureau. It might make a difference for the next poor sap considering doing business with them.

Back
Top Bottom