• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Renouncing American Citizenship & Consequences

Should persons who renounce ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ citizenship be permitted to reside or visit ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ?

• No

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Yes

Votes: 15 88.2%
  • Other - Explain choice please

Votes: 2 11.8%

• Total voters

Moi621

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Progressive
Should persons who renounce ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ citizenship
be permitted to reside or visit ๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ ?

Discuss

Moi

Don't ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆize
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Moi621:

I did. I have visited. What you gonna do about it?

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Why not? The Democratic Party demands that all non-citizens should be able to come here from anywhere in the world and none deported.

Many countries do not allow dual citizenship. Why should a person that moves to another country and becomes a citizen be disallowed travel to the USA?

Discuss

Moi

Don't ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆize
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Someone from my extended family was born in the US but only because of a business trip. He had to revoke it because his home country wouldn't allow dual citizenship. He should be able to visit the US if he wishes

Discuss

Moi

Don't ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆize
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

It does not seem significant enough or frequent enough to even discuss.

Is there a specific incident or person you had in mind that might spark one to contemplate this?

Discuss

Moi

Don't ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆize
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Why the hell not? I know two guys who live here because they passed on joining the SE Asian adventure in the early 70's and they can visit the US. One actually moved back to Colorado to be with his family but came back here less than a year later.

Why the hell not? I know two guys who live here because they passed on joining the SE Asian adventure in the early 70's and they can visit the US. One actually moved back to Colorado to be with his family but came back here less than a year later.
Thank God Carter pardoned them. That was a proud day to be an American. And, good for those boys! (y)

They can visit America.

But they can never be citizens again.

People who renounce can be denied entry visas.

They can visit America.

But they can never be citizens again.

People who renounce can be denied entry visas.

How about residence?
Longer than a visit.

Moi

It does not seem significant enough or frequent enough to even discuss.

Is there a specific incident or person you had in mind that might spark one to contemplate this?

Why does @noonereal bother to upload on
"not seem significant enough or frequent enough to even discuss".

Moi

Discuss

Moi

Don't ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆize
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ

Where is the problem?
Many posses 2 - 3 citizenship.
By the way many US citizens leaving abroad renounce US citizenship to avoid be subject to the US income tax

Thank God Carter pardoned them. That was a proud day to be an American. And, good for those boys! (y)
The one guy came from a bit of money in San Jose. He worked all over BC as a surveyor. The other is an old hippie, one of many in this end-of-the-road area. He has MS though, and I think it's easier to have MS here on this island than in Colorado where his family is. Hasn't affected his sense of humour though.

Where is the problem?
Many posses 2 - 3 citizenship.
By the way many US citizens leaving abroad renounce US citizenship to avoid be subject to the US income tax

Yes!

And for them there should be restrictions.
No Visiting.
No residing.

The full "Man Without A Country" treatment. Ref.: the poem

Moi

Yes!

And for them there should be restrictions.
No Visiting.
No residing.
The full "Man Without A Country" treatment. Ref.: the poem
Moi

Can you show me in any holy book the word 'citizenship'?

Discuss

Moi

Don't ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆize
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
I would say that they should be able to visit and reside if they need. I think the reason people renounce their citizenship is to obtain foreign citizenship easier. It's not an act of treason nor is it damaging to America.

Have you folks ever heard of "Accidental Americans"? I was one. I fixed that despite the US Government retroactively changing their citizenship laws in 1978. Retroactive laws are unconstitutional under the US constitution but they did it anyway. Under the old law my claim to US citizenship would have extinguished before the new law came into effect in October of 1978. But they made it retroactive to 1976 IIRC. I turned 18 before Oct. 1978. When the US Government informed me that I was an American citizen I informed that my citizenship had lapsed before their new law took effect. They said no and that I had to go to a US consulate to register.

As I was a Canadian citizen I went down to our own Canadian Citizenship government offices and told them I wanted to swear an oath of allegience to the Queen in order to compromise my unwanted and unasked-for American citizenship. The bastards wouldn't let me because of treaties with the US Government they said. As I was in the militia at the time, I went to the regimental Sgt. Maj. and then the Colonel to swear an oath of allegience to the Queen, the oath was administered, sworn, documents of proof signed and two months later mailed to me. I then went back to the Canadian Citizenship offices but they would not honour the validity of the oath despite the supporting document certifying that it had been administered and sworn to.

So, with no options left I marched myself down to the American Consulate in Montreal with my Canadian dad and a neighbour as witnesses and renounced my citizenship. They were incredulous that anyone wouldn't want to be an American citizen. I explained to them that I did not believe in dual loyalty to two states simultaneously. They said I wanted to avoid the draft. I showed them my militia document with the oath signed off by my unit's colonel and stamped and signed off by the DND/NDHQ. The US consulate workers finally relented and let me renounce. It was free. Now they charge $2350.00 USD for Accidental Americans to sort themselves out if they don't want to be an American citizen.

Cheers and be well.
Evilroddy.

Last edited:
I had a friend and co-worker in the mid-'90s that asked me to witness his signature on the form for renouncing his US citizenship and applying for citizenship in The Republic of Texas. The Waco lawyer that tried to prove that the annexation of Texas into the USA was illegal got busted for something else and sent up. That form probably got tossed and nobody ever cared. I just remember asking him: "Are you sure you want to do this?" He said yes and I signed the form.

Discuss

Moi

Don't ๐Ÿ‡จ๐Ÿ‡ฆize
๐Ÿ‡บ๐Ÿ‡ธ
Visit, sure, but under the same conditions any other foreign citizen would have to follow that visits, to live here as a Citizen, no.
I am lucky because I have two citizenships, but before an American does so they better make sure they have citizenship set up with another Nation. Personally I see no sense to do it, other than a few rare cases I do not see how it would serve any purpose.

I would say that they should be able to visit and reside if they need. I think the reason people renounce their citizenship is to obtain foreign citizenship easier. It's not an act of treason nor is it damaging to America.

It is damaging if they don't pay their just taxes.

Back
Top Bottom