• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Renewable Energy and Electric Cars Pressure Oil Economically as Well as Environmentally

I have wondered how long the batteries last when using the heater in the winter, or AC in the summer? Headlights at night...

I haven't seen any practical information on such things.

Here are some figures for real driving ranges.

The bitumen have to extracted through mining leading to massive amount of pollutions.

"In most of Alberta, the bitumen is buried so deep that wells must be drilled to extract it, and steam injected to mobilize it, at great energy cost. But north of Fort McMurray the bitumen layer is shallow enough that it can be strip mined in huge open pits.

A quick look north using Google map’s satellite view clearly shows some of the impacts on the landscape. Scattered along the banks of the Athabasca River is one of the world’s largest collections of tailings waste ponds—able to fill more than 500,000 Olympic swimming pools. These are so toxic, ducks and other birds have to be prevented from going near them."

Modern regulations in first world nations require returning a strip mined area back to a habitable state. Fill, topsil, plants, etc.

You are complaining about nothing important, but to be complaining.

German Prof: Climate Science Politicized, Exaggerated, Filled With “Fantasy”, “Fairy Tales”…”Paris Accord Already Dead”!
By P Gosselin on 7. October 2020

Share this...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter
German professor, co-founder of modern environmental movement, says climate science is exaggerated, filled with fairy tales and believes the Paris Accord is “already dead”.
In an interview with publicist Roland Tichy, Prof. Fritz Vahrenholt – one of the founders of Germany’s modern environmental movement – said we have in fact three generations time to revamp the world’s energy supply system to one that is cleaner and sustainable.
He rejects the Fridays For Future claim that there are only 12 years left.

Climate catastrophe not taking place
In the interview, moderator Tichy reminded that civilization began 7000 years ago, a time when it was “3°C warmer than today”, and Vahrenholt responded saying he expects civilization to continue for another seven thousand years. There was no tipping point back then, why would there be one today? “Warmth and moisture have always been good for mankind,” said Vahrenholt. “Cold has been man’s worst enemy.”
Plenty of time to move rationally
The German professor also said that the claimed catastrophe “is not taking place” and that policymakers are trying to use “panic and fear to get the people to act.” Much of the warming measured since 1850 is the result of natural warming taking place due to the end of the Little Ice Age, he explained. . . .
Electric cars a “crackpot idea”
Vahrenholt also believes electric cars powered by batteries is not a feasible technology, and that other experts quietly call it “a crackpot idea”, and don’t speak up for fear of losing research funding. The vast majority of funding comes from the German government. . . .

The conclusion of the BNP Paribas analyst was the following:

Here’s his conclusion: “Our analysis indicates that for the same capital outlay today, new wind and solar-energy projects in tandem with battery electric vehicles (EVs) will produce 6x-7x more useful energy at the wheels than will oil at $60/[barrel] for gasoline-powered LDVs, and 3x-4x more than will oil at $60/[barrel] for LDVs running on diesel.”

There is no denying the superior efficiency of electric vehicles. There is simply much more bang for the energy expended. I power my EV from my household renewables. It works out beautifully, so I can fully relate to the author's conclusion. How do you power your EV?
How far can you go on one charge? How do you provide energy to hospitals 24/7 when its a storm lasting a week of not enough sun light?

German Prof: Climate Science Politicized, Exaggerated, Filled With “Fantasy”, “Fairy Tales”…”Paris Accord Already Dead”!
By P Gosselin on 7. October 2020

Share this...
Share on FacebookTweet about this on Twitter
German professor, co-founder of modern environmental movement, says climate science is exaggerated, filled with fairy tales and believes the Paris Accord is “already dead”.
In an interview with publicist Roland Tichy, Prof. Fritz Vahrenholt – one of the founders of Germany’s modern environmental movement – said we have in fact three generations time to revamp the world’s energy supply system to one that is cleaner and sustainable.
He rejects the Fridays For Future claim that there are only 12 years left.

Climate catastrophe not taking place
In the interview, moderator Tichy reminded that civilization began 7000 years ago, a time when it was “3°C warmer than today”, and Vahrenholt responded saying he expects civilization to continue for another seven thousand years. There was no tipping point back then, why would there be one today? “Warmth and moisture have always been good for mankind,” said Vahrenholt. “Cold has been man’s worst enemy.”
Plenty of time to move rationally
The German professor also said that the claimed catastrophe “is not taking place” and that policymakers are trying to use “panic and fear to get the people to act.” Much of the warming measured since 1850 is the result of natural warming taking place due to the end of the Little Ice Age, he explained. . . .
Electric cars a “crackpot idea”
Vahrenholt also believes electric cars powered by batteries is not a feasible technology, and that other experts quietly call it “a crackpot idea”, and don’t speak up for fear of losing research funding. The vast majority of funding comes from the German government. . . .

How far can you go on one charge? How do you provide energy to hospitals 24/7 when its a storm lasting a week of not enough sun light?

The range are already tens times the daily commute there this also means that electric cars can be used as energy storage.

There also already 60 percent of new cars are pure electrics in Norway.

Also that for example Denmark already gets 64 percent of their electricity from wind power and solar power withhout any black outs. That you can regulate supply and demand by combining many different types of renewable energy and energy storage.

Was having a quick discussion with a couple other drivers yesterday about the cost of the batteries for the proposed conversion to electric buses at one of our stations. As it stands right now, replacement batteries for the HEV buses in our current fleet are $30K a pop. Imagine how much it would cost for replacement batteries in full electrics. Not cheap at all, plus there's the issue of handling and disposal. Which is why clean burn diesel is the best choice. You can rebuild engines/transmissions at less than a fraction of the cost of new batteries.

Was having a quick discussion with a couple other drivers yesterday about the cost of the batteries for the proposed conversion to electric buses at one of our stations. As it stands right now, replacement batteries for the HEV buses in our current fleet are $30K a pop. Imagine how much it would cost for replacement batteries in full electrics. Not cheap at all, plus there's the issue of handling and disposal. Which is why clean burn diesel is the best choice. You can rebuild engines/transmissions at less than a fraction of the cost of new batteries.

The life span of batteries are increasing.

Also more and more cities and companies sees the benefit of electric buses and other vehicles then they buy new vehicles.

Also more and more cities and companies sees the benefit of electric buses and other vehicles then they buy new vehicles.

Do you understand that making a battery that can support a high number of charge cycles, does not address
the fundamental issue of electric vehicles, which is energy density, the number of functional Kwh per pound.
While commuter driving may be fine, almost everyone will also use their vehicle to drive cross country at some point.

Do you understand that making a battery that can support a high number of charge cycles, does not address
the fundamental issue of electric vehicles, which is energy density, the number of functional Kwh per pound.
While commuter driving may be fine, almost everyone will also use their vehicle to drive cross country at some point.

It can be more wise to buy a car that is the best choice for over 95 percent of trips that are short instead of the car that is the choice for the few long trips. That think of the convenience of simply plug in the car then you get home instead of having to go to the gas station. While also not worry about a new major conflict in the Middle East with spiking oil prices.

There you already can add 250 miles of charge in less than 30 minutes. There you can also combine charging your car with meal breaks.

Again, far cheaper to rebuild diesel engines and transmissions IN HOUSE than handling, disposing of spent batteries.

It can be more wise to buy a car that is the best choice for over 95 percent of trips that are short instead of the car that is the choice for the few long trips. That think of the convenience of simply plug in the car then you get home instead of having to go to the gas station. While also not worry about a new major conflict in the Middle East with spiking oil prices.

There you already can add 250 miles of charge in less than 30 minutes. There you can also combine charging your car with meal breaks.

Your citation says the station is the first in New Jersey, how many in the country, and how long before they are as easy to find as a gas station?
Also how long before the power grid can support them, we are not ready for most people to have an electric car.

But a stop at a gas station for 5 minutes fills a car enough to go 350 miles.

If you're driving cross country, how many times do you have to stop?

I don't see what you see. The article says it took 13 minutes to reach 50% and 28 minutes to reach 80%, but I didn't see what the starting percentage was.

And remember the controversy we had where I claimed an article must be a typo, because the chargers in the USA max out at 120 kWatt? Your article supports that saying the 120 kW instead of the 150 kW...

Now don't get confused. The Ionity chargers mentioned in the article are in Eirpope. Not here. We have safety standards here in the USA that limit power to 125 KVA, withgout being specially trained and wearing PPE.

Oh...

I'm being conservative with that 5 minutes fueling with gasoline. I think my typical fuel-up from near empty takes three minutes, stop to go.

Your citation says the station is the first in New Jersey, how many in the country, and how long before they are as easy to find as a gas station?
Also how long before the power grid can support them, we are not ready for most people to have an electric car.

You have super charger stations all across the USA, also even if many aren't the latest V3 they are still pretty fast charging.

Also the range of electric cars are already ten times the daily commute so not only can electric cars be charged then there are the greatest supply but also act as energy storage. Thereby help to speed up the expansion of cheap renewable energy.

But a stop at a gas station for 5 minutes fills a car enough to go 350 miles.

If you're driving cross country, how many times do you have to stop?

I don't see what you see. The article says it took 13 minutes to reach 50% and 28 minutes to reach 80%, but I didn't see what the starting percentage was.

And remember the controversy we had where I claimed an article must be a typo, because the chargers in the USA max out at 120 kWatt? Your article supports that saying the 120 kW instead of the 150 kW...

Now don't get confused. The Ionity chargers mentioned in the article are in Eirpope. Not here. We have safety standards here in the USA that limit power to 125 KVA, withgout being specially trained and wearing PPE.

Oh...

I'm being conservative with that 5 minutes fueling with gasoline. I think my typical fuel-up from near empty takes three minutes, stop to go.

With electric cars you have the convenience to charge you car at home most of the time and you combine charging your car with meal breaks then you go on long trips.

Also the test was clearly from 0-80 percent and the range you got from that test was 250 miles. Also the charging is much faster in the beginning because the charge can be much greater. There Tesla also is not the only one with fast charging,

"During the charging session, the vehicle reached 250 kW at the 5% SOC point and held it until the SOC reached 24%. That's similar to how Porsche manages the Taycan's charging curve, as it too begins to ramp down the power once the car is at 25% SOC.

The Porsche Taycan can charge from zero to 80% in twenty-three minutes, and I personally witnessed it when I charged a Taycan on an Ionity station during the Taycan media drive last year. That's actually five minutes faster than the Model 3 reaches the 80% point.

However, the Model 3 can drive further at 80% than a Taycan can at 80%, and that's really the most important thing about fast charging - to spend as little time charging as possible, in order to get to your destination.

While charging on the V3 Supercharger, I reached 50% SOC in only thirteen minutes, and the car was still accepting 120 kW at that point. It took 28 minutes to reach 80% and the charge rate has slowed down to 54 kW at that point. Had I continued to let the car charge to 100% it would have taken longer for the last 20% than it took to get to 80%. I've previously recorded my charging time on a Supercharger from 80% to 100% and it took 33 minutes.

Take a look at the video, and let us know what you think. If you want to watch the recording of the full charging session, it's at the end of the video and is compressed into less than a minute."

With electric cars you have the convenience to charge you car at home most of the time and you combine charging your car with meal breaks then you go on long trips.
Sure... If you're a 1%'r

I like to stop a scenic places on long trips and a picnic. Not waste my time at a filling station.

Also the test was clearly from 0-80 percent and the range you got from that test was 250 miles. Also the charging is much faster in the beginning because the charge can be much greater. There Tesla also is not the only one with fast charging,

"During the charging session, the vehicle reached 250 kW at the 5% SOC point and held it until the SOC reached 24%. That's similar to how Porsche manages the Taycan's charging curve, as it too begins to ramp down the power once the car is at 25% SOC.
They were speaking of a different example. The US Tesla example was limited to 120 kW.

Please learn to read.

You have super charger stations all across the USA, also even if many aren't the latest V3 they are still pretty fast charging.

Also the range of electric cars are already ten times the daily commute so not only can electric cars be charged then there are the greatest supply but also act as energy storage. Thereby help to speed up the expansion of cheap renewable energy.

And we still do not have a grid capable of supporting a large percentage of electric vehicles,
but keep on ignoring the evidence!

And we still do not have a grid capable of supporting a large percentage of electric vehicles,
but keep on ignoring the evidence!
That's OK. Coal will fill in the extra needed power.

It would put an electric vehicle into my consideration for purchase. My biggest complaint is that I will drive a car until it;s wheels fall off. Well not literally, but both my cars have over 170,000 miles on them. I simply don't buy a car until I need one. I have a rare SLP modified Camaro convertible. Only 56 were made with the 6 speed and color scheme. Mine is probably the only one of the 56 left. It has another factory option making it even more rare. My other car is a very common 2006 Impala.

I would love to buy a Tesla as my next car when I'm ready to replace the Impala. The Camaro.... I'm keeping it.

I am all for longevity, so the battery life is crucial for me.

I like electric cars because they help keep the price of gas low.

BTW; why do the charging stations vary so widely in cost per KW? The app on the smart phone shows you a station but that station might charge almost twice as much as one down the street. It's like having a gas station charge $2 a gallon but the one down the block charging $5 a gallon, and neither one advertises their prices.

Last edited:
It would put an electric vehicle into my consideration for purchase. My biggest complaint is that I will drive a car until it;s wheels fall off. Well not literally, but both my cars have over 170,000 miles on them. I simply don't buy a car until I need one. I have a rare SLP modified Camaro convertible. Only 56 were made with the 6 speed and color scheme. Mine is probably the only one of the 56 left. It has another factory option making it even more rare. My other car is a very common 2006 Impala.

I would love to buy a Tesla as my next car when I'm ready to replace the Impala. The Camaro.... I'm keeping it.

I am all for longevity, so the battery life is crucial for me.
I agree 100%. I also drive them until I can't. I own 4 Toyotas; 2 mid 90's 4X4 pickups, a 2008 Rav4 and a 2005 Highlander. The liability insurance is cheap, the taxes low, and good gas mileage. They all still look good and run good. I won't change vehicles again unless I have to. In general, vehicles are a horrible investment. Nothing else depreciates so fast as a new car. I think NOT buying new cars every couple of years is a major reason why my wife and I could retire so early.

Back
Top Bottom