• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Removal of flag honoring veterans from White House sparks anger

W_Heisenberg

DP Veteran
Reaction score
Political Leaning
Moderate
Removal of flag honoring veterans from White House sparks anger | Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A decision by the Trump administration earlier this year to move the flag honoring missing war veterans from a prominent position atop the White House to a less visible spot on the South Lawn has angered some veterans and lawmakers, who see it as disrespectful and potentially illegal.

The revelations come amid growing questions over Trump’s respect for the military, after a report last week by the Atlantic magazine alleging that Trump had called fallen American soldiers “losers” and “suckers” sparked outrage and controversy.

Trump denied the assertions, but has publicly disparaged the service of the late Senator John McCain, a war veteran, and was accused of criticizing his own generals in excerpts of a forthcoming book titled “Rage,” by Bob Woodward.

“It’s bad enough that President Trump publicly ridicules American heroes like Senator McCain and others who were captured on the battlefield. He inexplicably promotes the Confederate flag but fails to fly the POW/MIA flag,” said Democratic Senator Jack Reed, a co-sponsor of the bill. “It’s part of a pattern of disrespect by President Trump toward those who honorably served our nation.”

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

As with everything else, the military and our soldiers are merely props for Trumps political campaigns.

Now he moves a White House flag honoring MIA's. Trump is despicable.

Removal of flag honoring veterans from White House sparks anger | Reuters

WASHINGTON (Reuters) - A decision by the Trump administration earlier this year to move the flag honoring missing war veterans from a prominent position atop the White House to a less visible spot on the South Lawn has angered some veterans and lawmakers, who see it as disrespectful and potentially illegal.

The revelations come amid growing questions over Trump’s respect for the military, after a report last week by the Atlantic magazine alleging that Trump had called fallen American soldiers “losers” and “suckers” sparked outrage and controversy.

Trump denied the assertions, but has publicly disparaged the service of the late Senator John McCain, a war veteran, and was accused of criticizing his own generals in excerpts of a forthcoming book titled “Rage,” by Bob Woodward.

“It’s bad enough that President Trump publicly ridicules American heroes like Senator McCain and others who were captured on the battlefield. He inexplicably promotes the Confederate flag but fails to fly the POW/MIA flag,” said Democratic Senator Jack Reed, a co-sponsor of the bill. “It’s part of a pattern of disrespect by President Trump toward those who honorably served our nation.”

Nothing to see here, folks. Move along.

I don't get it...Trump signed a bi-partisan bill into law that requires the POW flag to be displayed on top of the WH whenever the US flag is displayed. So is he breaking a law that he signed less than a year ago?

"...Law now requires the POW/MIA flag to be displayed whenever the American flag is displayed on prominent federal properties, including the White House, U.S. Capitol, World War II Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, every national cemetery, the buildings containing the official offices of the Secretaries of State, Defense, and Veterans Affairs, office of the Director of the Selective Service System, each major military installation, each Department of Veterans Affairs medical center, and each U.S. Postal Service post office.

The National POW/MIA Flag Act was initially introduced by U.S. Rep. and Marine Corps Lt. Gen. (ret.) Jack Bergman and U.S. Rep. Chris Pappas March 7, 2019. The bipartisan bill received endorsement from the VFW, the National League of POW/MIA Families, and other veterans service organizations..."

VFW Witnesses Landmark Presidential Signing of the POW MIA Flag Act - VFW

Last edited:
I don't get it...Trump signed a bi-partisan bill into law that requires the POW flag to be displayed on top of the WH whenever the US flag is displayed. So is he breaking a law that he signed less than a year ago?

"...Law now requires the POW/MIA flag to be displayed whenever the American flag is displayed on prominent federal properties, including the White House, U.S. Capitol, World War II Memorial, Korean War Veterans Memorial, Vietnam Veterans Memorial, every national cemetery, the buildings containing the official offices of the Secretaries of State, Defense, and Veterans Affairs, office of the Director of the Selective Service System, each major military installation, each Department of Veterans Affairs medical center, and each U.S. Postal Service post office.

The National POW/MIA Flag Act was initially introduced by U.S. Rep. and Marine Corps Lt. Gen. (ret.) Jack Bergman and U.S. Rep. Chris Pappas March 7, 2019. The bipartisan bill received endorsement from the VFW, the National League of POW/MIA Families, and other veterans service organizations..."

VFW Witnesses Landmark Presidential Signing of the POW MIA Flag Act - VFW

Laws don't apply to him. These solders are losers in his book anyway.

The "defund the military" party won't stand for this outrageous action!

Breaking news! Flag moved months ago!

The last President left us with grounded jets and broken ships while the crews were receiving transgender bathroom training.

That's pretty disrespectful.

The last President left us with grounded jets and broken ships while the crews were receiving transgender bathroom training.

And he ate human flesh.

We had broken ships in 2002. Thats how I broke my nose. But please do tell us more exagerated BS.

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

We had broken ships in 2003. Thats how I broke my nose. But please do tell us more exagerated BS.

Stop your lying about Obama's neglect for the Navy.

60% of fighter jets grounded.

Ships couldn't go to sea because they couldn't buy fuel.

Please stop the lies.

The "defund the military" party won't stand for this outrageous action!

Breaking news! Flag moved months ago!
You don’t understand. Making it an issue too soon won’t help the cause. Timing is everything.

You don’t understand. Making it an issue too soon won’t help the cause. Timing is everything.
Yes, they'll wait a few days and then another BS story will come out.

Stop your lying about Obama's neglect for the Navy.

60% of fighter jets grounded.

Ships couldn't go to sea because they couldn't buy fuel.

Please stop the lies.
Because of the situations that the world and US has been in, the redirection of DOD funds to other things that were not going on before 9/11, things besides Navy ships and planes, like establishing bases and troop levels in other countries to fight the War on Terror and conflicts in many Mideast countries. Because of continuing resolutions to run and fund the government rather than actual budgets. Those are reasons why. You blame Obama when falls on all government officials who allowed such things to happen.

Fact Check: Has President Obama 'Depleted' The Military? : NPR

You prefer simplicity on a matter that is not simple at all and then try to call me a liar.

I worked in shipyards from 2010 to 2019 (each year on AT). I'd say I have a pretty good grasp on what goes on.

Last edited:
Yes, they'll wait a few days and then another BS story will come out.
It’s called Politics. Some of them are just more desperate.

Because of the situations that the world and US has been in, the redirection of DOD funds to other things that were not going on before 9/11, things besides Navy ships and planes, like establishing bases and troop levels in other countries to fight the War on Terror and conflicts in many Mideast countries. Because of continuing resolutions to run and fund the government rather than actual budgets. Those are reasons why. You blame Obama when falls on all government officials who allowed such things to happen.

Fact Check: Has President Obama 'Depleted' The Military? : NPR

You prefer simplicity on a matter that is not simple at all and then try to call me a liar.

NPR?

You have gone straight past obnoxious.

Nah..

Back
Top Bottom