• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!

Remington Arms declares bankruptcy despite surging gun demand

Every time I see someone use the word 'bankrupt' where business is concerned I have to laugh a little because it makes it blatantly clear how little people understand about business and how often businesses takeadvantage of the bankruptcy laws to restructure, reorganize, etc and usually come out stronger.

Remington isnt doing themselves any favors with their product line. Im not sure who is advising them. Their 40X series is MASSIVELY over priced and cant compete with the Ruger Precision series. Their sporting shotguns target high end shooters...they need more low to mid range price options to make themselves competitive. Their only real 'tactical' weapon series is a bolt action weapon...that cant possible compete with the AR platform. Even their standard bread and butter...the home and law enforcement tactical shotgun series is overpriced and gimmicky.

As to who should 'run' gun industries...I'm not shocked someone like Bucky would advocate that the government should be in charge.

At all.

I read somewhere, about 3 weeks ago, that the Navajo Nation was in negotiations to buy Remington.
maybe more info can be found on it somewhere
Talks...but it didnt go anywhere. I think it would be great for the tribe to invest in the business and industry.

MUch of it has to do with poor quality, a remington or marlin from the 80's is going for a premium now because they were top quality, while your average new 30-30 marlin or 700 remington may have many issues or half not working new, remington was well known for quality in the past, but they can not charge name brand prices and deliver high point quality.

Whoever buys them needs to return quality back to what it was in the 1980's and prior

Assuming a few things, and no one really knows for sure given how bankruptcy processes can go, I am not entirely sure someone buys the whole thing as is. It may be safer to assume that this ends up in parts.

Remington has ammunition manufacturing in Arkansas, a huge plant for rifles in Alabama, still retains some manufacturing in New York, with headquarters in North Carolina.

I can see all of that sold off to various groups if not competition, whoever is sitting on cash.

They made a good pump action shotgun. I've got a 30 ought 6 bolt action that's pretty high-quality but it is old.

I think I read somewhere that it was in the 90's when Remington quality control really started to become iffy. IDK. It is just a reputation they got and seemed to struggle with shaking. Kind of like craftsman tools---they used to come with lifetime replacement because they lasted a lifetime, but then they cut corners and ditched the free lifetime replacement thing.

I think I read somewhere that it was in the 90's when Remington quality control really started to become iffy. IDK. It is just a reputation they got and seemed to struggle with shaking. Kind of like craftsman tools---they used to come with lifetime replacement because they lasted a lifetime, but then they cut corners and ditched the free lifetime replacement thing.

Well Craftsman tools ditched all semblance of quality They manufacture them in China. you'd be better off getting tools from harbor freight that probably the same quality and they're not as expensive.

I think craftsman sold out when Sears was bought by Kmart. Then they went belly-up.

Don't buy that Chinese junk. If you're going to buy junk by Pittsburgh, it's at least cheaper.

As far as Remington goes I don't know. I know that 870 shotgun is pretty unbeatable.

Well Craftsman tools ditched all semblance of quality They manufacture them in China. you'd be better off getting tools from harbor freight that probably the same quality and they're not as expensive.

I think craftsman sold out when Sears was bought by Kmart. Then they went belly-up.

Don't buy that Chinese junk. If you're going to buy junk by Pittsburgh, it's at least cheaper.

As far as Remington goes I don't know. I know that 870 shotgun is pretty unbeatable.

Some people's Ford Pintos didn't explode into balls of flame as well. Results vary. Either way, just having the reputation, however real or imagined, did them no favors. About that same time, Mossberg became the it shotgun manufacturer because them pretty all black guns were just like the one the police used and the western market was being inundated with SKS's. There are lots of dynamics bouncing around any market.

Some people's Ford Pintos didn't explode into balls of flame as well. Results vary. Either way, just having the reputation, however real or imagined, did them no favors. About that same time, Mossberg became the it shotgun manufacturer because them pretty all black guns were just like the one the police used and the western market was being inundated with SKS's. There are lots of dynamics bouncing around any market.

I don't know enough about trends.

Mostly what I know is what's good what's decent what's acceptable and what she should really pass on.

I don't know enough about trends.

Mostly what I know is what's good what's decent what's acceptable and what she should really pass on.

We have several legacy remington's floating around our family. I have never had much problem with them but there is one that was a great gun until it started having issues with the pump action sticking up. One of my brothers had it worked on which fixed it for awhile but it started back again. To me, as long as it works, I don't much have a preference over one brand or the other. I haven't really hunted much since my early teens though. I find it incredibly boring.

several reasons.

1) their flagship model-the 700 rifle, has been plagued with claims of a defective safety

2) Their Semi auto shotguns-the 1100 and its update-the 11-87, used to rule American Skeet and was very popular for clays. However, the "O ring" issue forced the 1100 to lose ground to much more reliable designs-especially the Beretta 391.

3) their parent company bought the well regarded "Bushmaster" brand of AR 15s from the owner in Windham Maine. Rather than maintain the factory, Remington moved it to NY/ when his no compete contract ended-the owner of the original company restarted the Windham factory (Windham Weaponry) turning out far better made rifles than what Remington was turning out.

4) the Remington 3200 was a wonderful competition shotgun-used by Matt Dryke to win the 1984 Olympic Gold medal in skeet. It was about the only USA made over and under that could hang with the Japanese and European guns. It was discontinued.

I bought my Remington 700 in the mid-1970s to hunt elk in Wyoming, and I used it into the 1990s to hunt moose in Alaska. I never had an issue with the safety, but I admit that it was not the most used firearm in my arsenal. I haven't even taken it to the range in more than a decade because I'm too old to hunt moose on my own any longer. I use a Springfield 1903 to hunt caribou. I don't need the extra punch the .300 Win. Mag. gives me.

got one sitting by the front door of my barn-loaded with 22 shorts for dealing with woodchucks, ill-tempered coons or coyotes

I bring along an AR-7 when I go backpacking. It is compact, extremely light (it even floats) and reasonably accurate to about 100 yards. It is a great way to supplement a backpacking trip with fresh food, and sometimes that becomes a necessity when they aren't able to pick you up for a couple of days.

My Mossberg has a regular wood stock. It has not been blackened. It had been my "camp gun" for 30 years, before I replaced it in 2018 with an AR-12. It took a great deal of abuse, and I did have issues with the safety coming loose and slipping off on its own. That was just a loose screw and easily fixed. Both the Remington 570 and Mossberg 500 are used by the military and the police.

I also bought a Romanian-made SKS once, and that was a mistake. I've never encountered a more inaccurate firearm. At 100 yards it was truly "spray and pray." I eventually sold it for a loss.

sorry to hear that.

Its not dead and it may actually work out in the Nations favor. Their initial discussions were for almost double the current 300 million consideration. From what I have read, its not dead. The biggest concern is there is a conflict between the head of the Nation who is at least publicly opposed to the purchase and the council, who entered into talks about the purchase without consulting him.

Remingtons biggest challenge is a restructuring of their product line and maybe a greater dedication to munitions manufacturing.

Downward-trend-in-gun-ownership.jpg

You old geezers aren't taking the kids shooting, looks like.

It is sad companies like these are allowed to exist. Profit based on human lives. Absolutely despicable.

From your OP you want the Govt. to take over these type of companies. "The government needs to take over Remington, Smith & Wesson, Sturm, Ruger, Sig Sauer, etc....". Would the Govt then become despicable by owning these companies?:mrgreen:

You do realize many companies in the US are profit based. They are "profit based on human lives". If you don't eat you die. If the food is bad you could die. Are they despicable?

My Mossberg has a regular wood stock. It has not been blackened. It had been my "camp gun" for 30 years, before I replaced it in 2018 with an AR-12. It took a great deal of abuse, and I did have issues with the safety coming loose and slipping off on its own. That was just a loose screw and easily fixed. Both the Remington 570 and Mossberg 500 are used by the military and the police.

I also bought a Romanian-made SKS once, and that was a mistake. I've never encountered a more inaccurate firearm. At 100 yards it was truly "spray and pray." I eventually sold it for a loss.

Seems to me like I heard somewhere that many of those old SKS's had some quirk about what you cleaned them with that greatly affected how well they shot. They were trendy in our area as people just liked that spray and pray as they were drinking their 6 pack (and by 6 pack I mean case) on a Saturday afternoon shooting at whatever random junk was in their yard.

I bring along an AR-7 when I go backpacking. It is compact, extremely light (it even floats) and reasonably accurate to about 100 yards. It is a great way to supplement a backpacking trip with fresh food, and sometimes that becomes a necessity when they aren't able to pick you up for a couple of days.

I have one that was made by Charter Arms

their cheaper gun club shells reload almost as well as the more expensive Winchester AAs their top of the line shells last the longest for reloading. (and this comes from someone who was sponsored by Winchester when I was on various skeet teams)

I actually had better crimps with gun clubs than with AAs. And the STS hulls were really sweet. I only rarely shot AA shells anyway, usually the Super Handicap loads but I didn't care for the recoil on a day to day basis. So I would use them in meat shoots at times when they were playing last man standing from 30 yards or whatever.

Downward-trend-in-gun-ownership.jpg

You old geezers aren't taking the kids shooting, looks like.

in the current political climate, caused by people with politics such as yours and Biden, many gun owners won't tell an anonymous caller if they own a gun

Back
Top Bottom