• This is a political forum that is non-biased/non-partisan and treats every person's position on topics equally. This debate forum is not aligned to any political party. In today's politics, many ideas are split between and even within all the political parties. Often we find ourselves agreeing on one platform but some topics break our mold. We are here to discuss them in a civil political debate. If this is your first visit to our political forums, be sure to check out the RULES. Registering for debate politics is necessary before posting. Register today to participate - it's free!
  • Welcome to our archives. No new posts are allowed here.

Reminding everyone why the UN and Intl' Law are good things

I have glanced through this thread and am only seeing two types of responses:

1. The UN is bad because:

a. it is dominated by despotic regimes. More than a 1/3rd of all UN members are not democratic states
b. It has repeatedly proven, like the League of Nations before it, that it is not up to the challenges of the modern world and several examples are cited.

2. The UN is good because ... ? just because.

Josef Said
http://groups.yahoo.com/group/khilafism

SKILMATIC said:
How about we just use the UN for economical reasons? Cause its obvious it doesnt even talk about genocides and other attrocities.

That sounds good. Although I am not sure how comfortable I would be with the UN and big piles of money...:mrgreen:

jsaid2009 said:
I have glanced through this thread and am only seeing two types of responses:

1. The UN is bad because:

a. it is dominated by despotic regimes. More than a 1/3rd of all UN members are not democratic states
b. It has repeatedly proven, like the League of Nations before it, that it is not up to the challenges of the modern world and several examples are cited.

2. The UN is good because ... ? just because.

Josef Said

So because an organization moves slowly and not always in the right way,
abolish it?

jakurus said:
abolish it?

The League of Nations proved inadequate and unable to address the challenges that it faced. It was abolished.

The United Nations has proven itself to be inadequate and beyond reform. Shall we attempt to pretend that it is viable? In this entire thread, I have not read a single message that stated why the United Nations shouldn't be pulled off of life support.

Josef Said

jakurus said:
abolish it?

So its slow and does not work... YES thats a good reason to abolish it. Or at the very least severly limit it's reach and influence (if it has any)

What a joke...

Congress moves slowly and not always correctly, should we abolish it?

Reforming the UN is a good idea, destroying it serves no purpose.

Jakurus,

I would submit that though Congress can move slowly at times, it is in fact comprised of individuals that have been chosen democratically and are held accountable for their decisions. If they behave in a manner that is too slow or unrepresentative of their people they are replaced.

The UN has no such system in place that I am aware of. This is why I feel a comparison between the US Congress and the UN is a stretch. I sincerely invite you to cite the merits of the UN and why you feel it is a justifiable organization.

I actually wish there was a forum that existed for International dialogue.

jakurus said:
What a joke...

Congress moves slowly and not always correctly, should we abolish it?

Reforming the UN is a good idea, destroying it serves no purpose.

The UN serves no purpose.. Destroy it or reform it and limit it. If you want to make it just an international forum for complaints I am fine with that also. But first lets move it to another country. I would like another country to host the UN. The cost and targeting issues just don't make it a worthwhile venture for us. Congress shouldn't be abolished, but I wouldn't be opposed with a little reform thats for sure. The paper tiger has no use, so it's time to put it to sleep

Agreed. You make a great point about relocating it to another country.

Perhaps the UN would feel at home in France?

roysiebert said:
Agreed. You make a great point about relocating it to another country.

Perhaps the UN would feel at home in France?

Sounds like a perfect spot for me. Two entities that perform no function..:lol:

Yeah France is worthless! ha ha ha ha.....

Morooooons.

jakurus said:
Yeah France is worthless! ha ha ha ha.....

Morooooons.

OOOO nice retort. How ever shall I respond :boohoo: or :moon: or :2bigcry:

Yes, very witty.

I am sure I saw there was an age limit of around 13 to participate in this forum. Perhaps the administrator could audit?

If the UN wasn't so weak, it might be worth more than it is.

it should have more force in the world if it wasts to be sucessful.

128shot said:
If the UN wasn't so weak, it might be worth more than it is.

it should have more force in the world if it wasts to be sucessful.

I agree. I don't see the US giving up any of its sovereignty though...

Kelzie said:
I agree. I don't see the US giving up any of its sovereignty though...

As if the United States should yield any sovereignty to an organization with the likes as Syria, China, Sudan, et al. as members. Only 89 nations are regarded as "Free" in the world, and one, Taiwan, is not granted admittance to the United Nations. No way the U.S. should cede ANY sovereignty to it.

Kick it to Geneva. That is there it belongs, NOT New York.

ludahai said:
As if the United States should yield any sovereignty to an organization with the likes as Syria, China, Sudan, et al. as members. Only 89 nations are regarded as "Free" in the world, and one, Taiwan, is not granted admittance to the United Nations. No way the U.S. should cede ANY sovereignty to it.

Kick it to Geneva. That is there it belongs, NOT New York.

Hello? Hello!!!:2wave:

I know we've talked about my plans for the new and improved UN.

Geneva, france....... I don't care where it is. I just don't want it here. So move it or close it. Let another country deal with the bumbling crap that flows from the UN. No power means no use

Back
Top Bottom